RMweb

Ilkley locomotive shed, 4mm P4 1950s

Jub45565

• 2 weeks later...

Pete

They look excellent, those drawings of the shed.  A decent scan would be fantastic but the photos are a huge help for detail.

Always a bummer when you find out some niggly little detail when you are committed to another approach!

I've done window frames with a computer controlled mill, which is great once you have programmed it.  Endless copies of the same window.  I've not done etching so I cannot provide any 'wisdom' there I'm sorry. 

It'd be interesting to see if we can come up with an etch drawing for the handrails around the underpass in the station and the footbridge latticework.  Tom - Do you have anything useful here you'd be willing to share?  I've got some reasonable drawings of bits of the inside of the station, but from memory I'm not sure if those handrails are shown.

Great to see some progress.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew,

I do not have any drawings of the hand rails or to be honest any recollection of them, but it was more than 50 years ago when I went through there on a daily basis to collect my papers for my paper round from the W H Smiths book stall, which was located in the main entrance hall at that time.

As for the footbridge lattice, I used photographs to give me a basis for the lattice work. I then made scale drawings and passed them on to a friend who set up his cutter and did the cutting. I can have a word with him and see if he still has the 'artwork' he prepared for the cutter if that would be of any help.

Tom 

Here you are Tom.  One to jog the memory....

attachicon.gif2010-08-04 Subway railings.jpg

These would be a good candidate for etching I'd think.  Or CNC machining.  They'd be an absolute nightmare to do any other way!

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew,

Now I know what you meant by handrails. I was thinking you were meaning some sort of handrails that went down the side of the tunnel wall for folks to hold onto. 

Cheers,

Tom 

G,day All

Did I not read somewhere that the railings or hand rails around the subway slopes  had bean reused between platform 2 & the car park ??

If not,  it  should  have, instead of scraping it all.  The more I look at all the Photos of the  dereliction of the station from the late 70s  the more  

I think, the supermarket and other changes, was a good idea. It keeps the back bone of the original structure .

Tom

Did you know The original W H Smith book stall was against the wall between platform 1 &2,   underneath the big clock  until the early  50s

when it burnt down

Later Ron.

G,day All

Did I not read somewhere that the railings or hand rails around the subway slopes  had bean reused between platform 2 & the car park ??

If not,  it  should  have, instead of scraping it all.  The more I look at all the Photos of the  dereliction of the station from the late 70s  the more  

I think, the supermarket and other changes, was a good idea. It keeps the back bone of the original structure .

Tom

Did you know The original W H Smith book stall was against the wall between platform 1 &2,   underneath the big clock  until the early  50s

when it burnt down

Later Ron.

Ron,

I knew W H Smith had originally been on the end wall under the clock but did not remember the fire as the reason for it moving to the site I remember.

Thanks for that new piece of information,

Tom

Well, not a lot of visible progress to report, but I have finished redecorating the relatively recently vacated spare room (the last housemate has gone, though I have still resisted the urge to sit around in my pants...) and so rehoused the layout.  I got round to wiring up the switched feed to the cassette to allow for switching between main track feed or DCC programming.

I have a few things I need to do for Scaleforum next weekend which will take out this week, but I do hope to make some actual progress in the next few weeks.

post-130-0-08007700-1474286508_thumb.jpg

I have the windows drawn for etching, and just drawing up a few more things before sending out the sheet.

• Like 2

G,day All

Tom

when it burnt down

Later Ron.

The railings were indeed reused and run about half way down the Car park/Platform.  Yesterday someone managed to lose control of their car whilst parking and demolished about 12 feet of railings - we shall whether it is repaired to maintain the splendid Victorian style or simply bodged.....

Kingmoorkid 

Pete,

Good to see you are making progress. 

I have been trying to find out more about the 'oil tank train'.  As far as I can tell the train photographed on page 28 of vol. 2 of Skipton - Ilkley Railway are a mixture of Shell Mex BP wagons carrying fuel oil from the NE to Heysham.  If anyone can add to that with any photos or references I would be pleased to hear.  In the meantime I have been modelling some similar tank wagons for use on my layout.  The wagons are just about complete but need to be 'weathered' to replicate the normal state of these vehicles.

The wagons are mainly constructed from Mainline 14t and old Triang tank wagons with varying degrees of modification to the running gear and the cradle.  They are finished with commercially available transfers.  All I have to do now is to choose the colours for the weathering.

Tom

post-27867-0-46563200-1474439971.jpg

Edited by LMS29
  • Like 2

Cheers Tom, those tankers are looking good!  It's always annoying that a lot of photography focuses on the loco, so telling the differences is quite hard - but I agree that I think the majority were 14 tonners, with a few 20T anchor mounts (not the Bachmann one, as thats a 14T anchor mount that shouldnt be available in Shell/BP black as far as I can tell.

I notice that the next book in the Larkin series is due at the end of the month, which includes ICI, Shell-Mex and BP so should be very useful for the Wharfedale traffic!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Non-Pool-Freight-Stock-1948-1968-Privately-Owned/dp/1905505418/ref=pd_lutyp_simh_1_2?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1905505418&pd_rd_r=TS06P14ED6E7CN2BE4SF&pd_rd_w=UDjuq&pd_rd_wg=1Ldcd&psc=1&refRID=TS06P14ED6E7CN2BE4SF

(other vendors are available...).

I have sorted my CAD for the Ilkley shed side windows, but there are a few other things I am drawing up too so they won't be sent for etching immediately.

The concept is for an overlay for the opening section, which is placed and aligned using the cross struts and pins through the holes, before removing this bracing.  The window unit will consist of 2 frames, an inner and outer.  The frame at the bottom is to be inserted between the two, and a similar one at the top.  I have allowed for the central section of the top one to be cut out, so that glazing could be slid in after the unit is assembled - I think the frames may need painting individually and gluing as a stack, as otherwise I don't think the backs of the frames will be easy to paint, and so will show through.  I've kept my options open though, and will have a couple of extra frames to experiment with.

post-130-0-21840200-1474457022.png

I am happy to add some handrails/fencing to my etched sheet, even though I don't need them in the shed area it would be interesting to try drawing them and see how they come out. Does anyone have any dimensions? I am using a 0.3mm thick sheet though, and looking at Andrews photo in post 204 it definitely needs relief from both sides, so double thickness would be up to 1.8" which sounds feasible...

Cheers,

Pete

Edited by Jub45565

I

I am happy to add some handrails/fencing to my etched sheet, even though I don't need them in the shed area it would be interesting to try drawing them and see how they come out.  Does anyone have any dimensions?  I am using a 0.3mm thick sheet though, and looking at Andrews photo in post 204 it definitely needs relief from both sides, so double thickness would be up to 1.8" which sounds feasible...

Cheers,

Pete

I am happy to add some handrails/fencing to my etched sheet, even though I don't need them in the shed area it would be interesting to try drawing them and see how they come out.  Does anyone have any dimensions?  I am using a 0.3mm thick sheet though, and looking at Andrews photo in post 204 it definitely needs relief from both sides, so double thickness would be up to 1.8" which sounds feasible...

Cheers,

Pete

I'll pop out and measure and photograph the fences tomorrow.  Might get some strange looks from M&S shoppers! 

• Like 1

Cheers Tom, those tankers are looking good!  It's always annoying that a lot of photography focuses on the loco, so telling the differences is quite hard - but I agree that I think the majority were 14 tonners, with a few 20T anchor mounts (not the Bachmann one, as thats a 14T anchor mount that shouldnt be available in Shell/BP black as far as I can tell.

I notice that the next book in the Larkin series is due at the end of the month, which includes ICI, Shell-Mex and BP so should be very useful for the Wharfedale traffic!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Non-Pool-Freight-Stock-1948-1968-Privately-Owned/dp/1905505418/ref=pd_lutyp_simh_1_2?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1905505418&pd_rd_r=TS06P14ED6E7CN2BE4SF&pd_rd_w=UDjuq&pd_rd_wg=1Ldcd&psc=1&refRID=TS06P14ED6E7CN2BE4SF

(other vendors are available...).

I have sorted my CAD for the Ilkley shed side windows, but there are a few other things I am drawing up too so they won't be sent for etching immediately.

The concept is for an overlay for the opening section, which is placed and aligned using the cross struts and pins through the holes, before removing this bracing.  The window unit will consist of 2 frames, an inner and outer.  The frame at the bottom is to be inserted between the two, and a similar one at the top.  I have allowed for the central section of the top one to be cut out, so that glazing could be slid in after the unit is assembled - I think the frames may need painting individually and gluing as a stack, as otherwise I don't think the backs of the frames will be easy to paint, and so will show through.  I've kept my options open though, and will have a couple of extra frames to experiment with.

attachicon.gifIlkley Window CAD 1.png

Pete,

Thanks for the comments about tank wagons.  Like you I have not seen a picture of a 14t anchor mounted tank in BPSM livery.  Having said that this rake does contain one of the new Bachmann wagons, I could not resist buying one to look at the details and the way they had finished the wagon.

Tom

Goday All

Thanks Kingmoorkid [is there nothing shorter we can call you]

I checked with the Gazette, it looks a real mess, lets hope

someone finds a good welder to put it back together.

Tom.

Those tanks do look good I would love to see a photo on a

train going under the footbridge

Goday All

Tom.

Ron,

How could I refuse such a request?

Tom

post-27867-0-69650300-1475002523.jpg

• Like 3

Goday All

Tom.

Ron 

Simon - Kingmoorkid tells you where I spent my many hours in my teenage years.  Some pictures taken before Northern Rail employees informed me that I wasn't allowed to take pictures of stations - just not worth the argument!

The rudimentary dimensions that I did manage to get are - height to bottom of rail 3 feet 4inches.  From middle of uprights to middle of next upright 6inches - you can scale from picture on that basis.  I didn't want to get my tape measure confiscated.....

post-17870-0-39582000-1475059061_thumb.jpgpost-17870-0-23139600-1475059080_thumb.jpgpost-17870-0-73007800-1475059104_thumb.jpg

The good news is that said Northern Rail employee was happy to discuss what happened and what's happening.  The car hit the fence with such force that a 12" bit of it finished between that tracks luckily no one injured.  Part of the fence has been removed for repairing and it will be restored, with other cracks in the same run attended to on return .  They thought about recreating a new casting but cost was circa £10k  so have decided to repair instead, 

Simon 

Ron,

How could I refuse such a request?

Tom

attachicon.gifDSC07873.JPG

Seems to be quite an interest in the Wharfedale line these days, I even have the same oil train made up from various tankers, a start has been made on detailing and weathering as seen below.

post-10324-0-66269800-1475065690.jpg

In steam days it could be a J39 single or double headed, B16 single or with a J39 or later on one or two WD 2-8-0s.

An impressive train with 30 tanks whatever is on the front.

Dave Franks.

• Like 1

Can I comment on the BP tankers, I'm told by wagon guro Geoff Kent that the BP symbol after 1948 didn't have the dashes or the apostrophes on either side of the BP, this being the pre-war livery. I managed to scrape off the offending marks with a finger nail! 

Dave Franks. 

Goday Folks

Tom

Only one word to describe that photo, [to quote from Darling buds of may] 'PERFIC ' thanks mate.

Simon

Those photo tell the whole tale. Near heritage railings and no protection! The mind boggles  

As for Kingmoor I should call myself Romboldsron .  I think I spent more time up there than

I did in school , probably why I finished up as an engine driver in Australia instead of a doctor

or engineer,  BUT, no regrets

Later Ron

Seems to be quite an interest in the Wharfedale line these days, I even have the same oil train made up from various tankers, a start has been made on detailing and weathering as seen below.

attachicon.gifOil train.jpg

In steam days it could be a J39 single or double headed, B16 single or with a J39 or later on one or two WD 2-8-0s.

An impressive train with 30 tanks whatever is on the front.

Dave Franks.

I agree Dave - I do like the J39s and B16s, but there is definitely something about the photos of double headed WDs!  Out of interest, which J39 have you modelled?  My current plan is the 64859 from Starbeck, but that has a 3500G group standard tender rather than the 4200G tender currently assigned.  I do have a B1 in the pipeline that can take on the larger tender though.

It would be nice to have a bit of variety though, so a second J39 either needs a 4200G or the flared 3500G...

I have to crack on with my turntable before that hits the workbench though...

Hi Pete

Great to see progress on the layout, and hear of your success getting rid of your flatmates, thus freeing up space for more modelling (both railways and underwear, it would appear).

If you haven't done your window etching yet, I may have a go at CADding up those railings and send something to you as a trial.  I have a copy of the original drawing somewhere here, so combining that with Kingmoorkid's photos we should be on to something.  You never know, you might get onto a model of the station one day and find you need some.....

The other obvious candidate for an etch would be the latticework on the footbridge, but presumably that is available somewhere already?

Cheers

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning,

I have been looking for other photographs of the Ilkley area and have been directed towards another site which contains some of F W Smith's collection.  May be of interest to folks, it includes a shot of the engine shed from the Ben Rhydding end, showing the small building at the back of the shed.  The link is http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page94.htm .

If anyone is interested,  I shall be visiting the railway show at Hartlepool over the weekend.  For those in the UK it is a good friendly show and well worth a visit.  The link is http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115792-hartlepool-model-railway-show/ .

Tom

Edited by LMS29

Good Morning,

I have been looking for other photographs of the Ilkley area and have been directed towards another site which contains some of F W Smith's collection.  May be of interest to folks, it includes a shot of the engine shed from the Ben Rhydding end, showing the small building at the back of the shed.  The link is http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page94.htm .

If anyone is interested,  I shall be visiting the railway show at Hartlepool over the weekend.  For those in the UK it is a good friendly show and well worth a visit.  The link is http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115792-hartlepool-model-railway-show/ .

Tom

Great reading this again, the David Hey web site is a mine of information and has some real gems, I have spent a few happy hours browsing (time well spent if you ask me), I have just noticed that Ilkley Shed closed on the day I was born, a mere 57 and a bit years ago, 26 of which I've lived in Ilkley.  There is some sort of test train due into the station tonight around 1:00am followed by a scheduled leaf buster with a couple of class 20s at around 3:00am,  I'm tempted to visit but good sense might prevail!    

Simon

Pete,

Thanks for the comments about tank wagons.  Like you I have not seen a picture of a 14t anchor mounted tank in BPSM livery.  Having said that this rake does contain one of the new Bachmann wagons, I could not resist buying one to look at the details and the way they had finished the wagon.

Tom

Pete,

Still waiting for my pre-ordered copy of the Larkin book to arrive from a well known on line book seller but I did see a copy on a bookshop stand at the Hartlepool MRG Show at the weekend, so it should be arriving shortly.

Tom