The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

DVLA abolish driving licence paper counterpart - Vehicle Hire implications

Bezzy Oppo

www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes

Absolutely bonkers! This is going to cause a shed load of grief when it comes to hiring vans for exhibitions; why is the onus is on the driver to download codes etc? Why can't DVLA issue EPOS type terminals to the hire companies and customers swipe or chip and pin? I just despair, I really do.........a nightmare for the luddites out there as well.

I disagree. a couple of minutes generating a code versus however long trying to remember where the counterpart is ? No brainer.

I'm thinking of those (and there are a lot) who need to hire and just don't, can't or won't use tech.

If you're going abroad and wish to hire, any code generated where you can access the web only lasts 72 hours. That could take a lot more planning than carrying your paper counterpart.

• RMweb Gold

So I'm away from home and therefore away from my 'puter and something happens which causes me to urgently need to hire a car - now what?

(BTW remarkably I can actually lay hands on my paper counterpart in about 30 seconds - most of which is spent moving whatever might have landed on top of it in the drawer right next to me).

But for how much longer will we have a paper one?????

Dave Franks

When the photocard licence was introduced, I resisted getting one for about a decade, by which time my original DVLC paper licence was hanging on by a thread.

Now I have the photocard licence, I also have the paper counterpart. That one is kept under lock and key, and last saw the light of day when six points were endorsed upon it for coming back from the stables a bit quickly. Very quickly.

When the photocard licence was introduced, I resisted getting one for about a decade, by which time my original DVLC paper licence was hanging on by a thread.

Now I have the photocard licence, I also have the paper counterpart. That one is kept under lock and key, and last saw the light of day when six points were endorsed upon it for coming back from the stables a bit quickly. Very quickly.

On horseback - or were you barebacking?

• RMweb Gold

So I'm away from home and therefore away from my 'puter and something happens which causes me to urgently need to hire a car - now what?

(BTW remarkably I can actually lay hands on my paper counterpart in about 30 seconds - most of which is spent moving whatever might have landed on top of it in the drawer right next to me).

As it says in the DVLA statement - "If you cannot generate a code online then you can call 0300 083 0013 and DVLA will provide you with a code."

• RMweb Premium

As it says in the DVLA statement - "If you cannot generate a code online then you can call 0300 083 0013 and DVLA will provide you with a code."

I wonder if 0300 numbers work from Peru?(Other countries are available)

With regard to the paper counterpart, I have heard stories of those with more than a sensible amount of points "losing" their paper counterpart before the points are applied and applying for a new conterpart and licence, whilst still using the "now found but unendorsed" counterpart to hire a car in foreign climes.....

The new system will should put paid to that.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Personally I have never been asked for the counterpart when hiring a vehicle abroad, they only wanted the card.

It's been a while since I've been asked for the counterpart as well. I've hired four cars abroad so far this year, and not one has asked to see the paper part. I don't recall it being checked last year in half a dozen trips either. I was asked for it once at Glasgow airport last year when picking up a car, but she took a quick glance, saw it was in date and had no endorsements, and handed it straight back.

I often smile when I read about the "accountants" that stifle business by their nefarious tactics intended to save a fraction of a penny here and there - always to the detriment of the poor engineer who has striven mightily to inflict his latest idea on an unsuspecting customer ("design clever" anyone?) but the real demons are the management consultants who come up with ill-thought through schemes such as this one . . .

Stan

PS I am not an accountant or an engineer but I've done battle with both species.

Nice and easy when you still have a paper one.

Not for me it wasn't.

I went to hire a van locally, and they would not accept my paper driving licence because it had no photo ID. I had nothing with photo ID on me.

They told me I had to go home and get my passport, which I duly did. Not a big problem, but I can do without the hassle.

www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes

Absolutely bonkers! ...

I think the really bonkers situation is to have a photocard and a paper counterpart. It has always smacked to me of a failure to grapple with the real issue, producing a compromise that may have sounded sensible in a brainstorming meeting but was actually the worst of all worlds.

It's a bit like those management consultants tasked with finding out whether people in a new market preferred hot tea or iced tea. They found equal numbers of both, so recommended all tea should be served tepid - thus irritating everyone in equal measure.

Paul 

• RMweb Gold

As long as you can access the internet (doesnt have to be your own PC) you can log on to the Government website, give your driving licence number, your national insurance number and your post code and it will generate a code to give to the hire company.

• RMweb Gold

Use your smartphone Mike! ;)

What's one of those?  I have a mobile 'phone which I use, occasionally to make telephone calls and that is it.

As long as you can access the internet (doesnt have to be your own PC) you can log on to the Government website, give your driving licence number, your national insurance number and your post code and it will generate a code to give to the hire company.

er yes - 'access the internet' being the critical bit - my 'puter is at home and there's no way on this earth that I am going to put information like that into a 'puter in the likes of an internet caff or even at someone's business for the very simple reason that anyone could subsequently half-inch it.  And people wonder how personal information is so easily acquired - looks very easy to me if you don't exercise simple security.

Which assumes that either I can remember the number or the office where I try to hire a vehicle also knows it - and what if there's an error transcribing the code or as Mick has pointed out what happens abroad (although I understand they usually aren't interested in the paper part in foreign countries.

There would seem to me to be a very simple answer to this - just like  bank card etc all we need is an individual multi-digit pin code which a vehicle hire or whatever establishment could use to access our details in our presence.  Maybe that is too simple a concept for a Govt dept to understand?  

......Britons can now not partake in social activities on the Continent as easily as before. I know, it wasn't a very popular activity anyway.....

No, but if you look at the various "party islands" like Ibiza, Kavos, Magaluf, etc. it doesn't seem to have curtailed antisocial activities.....!

Nice and easy when you still have a paper one.

My understanding is that the paper one is no longer valid. If that's the case no van hire company will accept it.

(oh - hang on - you probably meant the old type paper licence - DOH! - it's the paper counterpart that will not be valid after the 8th - sorry pardon)

• RMweb Premium

My understanding is that the paper one is no longer valid. If that's the case no van hire company will accept it.

I think that the paper counterpart isn't but if you've got a paper-only one you still don't have to replace it (yet).

Archived