The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

DVLA abolish driving licence paper counterpart - Vehicle Hire implications

Bezzy Oppo

I think that the paper counterpart isn't but if you've got a paper-only one you still don't have to replace it (yet).

Precisely. My paper licence says it is valid until 2023.

My licence expires 2029. I was conned into paying for a photocard licence when I had to change address about 10 years ago.

So why the **** do I have to pay £17 to have a new photo card? I opted to renew at the local Post Office all done online licence was back in 3 days.

They sent me a paper counterpart with instructions to destroy it in a few weeks.

The passport is next, another simple renewal job there too.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if 0300 numbers work from Peru?(Other countries are available)

With regard to the paper counterpart, I have heard stories of those with more than a sensible amount of points "losing" their paper counterpart before the points are applied and applying for a new conterpart and licence, whilst still using the "now found but unendorsed" counterpart to hire a car in foreign climes.....

The new system will should put paid to that.

Cheers,

Mick

But surely if there ia an 'incident', even if not your fault, could cause a major problem if you're caught & a proper check reveals that your licence isn't valid, never mind what a small piece of paper suggests.

• RMweb Premium

But surely if there ia an 'incident', even if not your fault, could cause a major problem if you're caught & a proper check reveals that your licence isn't valid, never mind what a small piece of paper suggests.

The ones likely to use an old licence are those scrotes that cause these incidents.....................

cheers,

Mick

Dunno what all the fuss is about?

All the information anyone who needs to know, is on the plastic licence now.

Or, held by DVLA, and accessible.

As for hiring vehicles?

Don't you all think hirers will have already embraced the technology, and do the accessing of your licence details for themselves?

Now then, DC, or DCC?

OOOOH, cannot have DCC, as I don't like these chip things?

And have you seen the price of these chips?

Twice the cost of the loco!!

Anyone tried the McCain Chips?

Technology?

Bwackhhh!

Never had a “paper” license in the ‘States. The cops can look up everything about you online before they approach your vehicle - including whether you have any outstanding arrest warrants, etc.

The odd thing is that you must carry the plastic card with you at all times or you will get another ticket. None of this “I’ll bring it in to the station later”. I’ve lived here since 1989 and it’s always been like this...

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Never had a “paper” license in the ‘States. The cops can look up everything about you online before they approach your vehicle - including whether you have any outstanding arrest warrants, etc.

The odd thing is that you must carry the plastic card with you at all times or you will get another ticket. None of this “I’ll bring it in to the station later”. I’ve lived here since 1989 and it’s always been like this...

Best, Pete.

I agree Pete, it is odd that a country which claims to be the land of the free requires people to carry identity cards.  :scratchhead:

I'm afraid, given the history thus far of HMG's IT programmes, that I don't have much confidence in the efficacy of this latest wheeze. From reports in several different newspapers, it would appear that, whilst car hirers in this country may be aware of the new procedures, those in foreign destinations (who may be franchiseés) may not be. There is also this idea that you have to log on to the DVLA's site to be given a PIN of limited duration, just before you travel- I'm waiting to see the first reports of the system crashing with the beginning of the summer holidays..

Total storm in a teacup.  Doing away with the paper counterpart should have happed years ago. In fact they should never have existed full stop.

I've rented hundreds of cars and vans abroad and have never once been asked for the paper counterpart. It's simply a non-issue.

People just don't like change. It scares and confuses them. :scratchhead:  When the photocard style licence was introduced people were predicting the end of the world (and worse!) and wow, look see, nothing happen. People just got on with using them.

Im in ireland , and for the last year or so , we have the new EU standardised credit card photo license. Very neat compared to to the crazy multi page old one , or even the never passport sized thingy, that always disintegrated. In my wallet.

Ive rented dozens of cars on the " continent. " , never been asked for anything other then the physical license.. Which just shows the classification codes etc

Whats the fuss

Until you're 70,

Rob

Thank you for that piece of info. I had to renew my paper licence when I reached 70 any way. Before anyone jumps in, no not one on velum with categories including chariots and trams! I acquired my shiny new photo carrying plastic one with a copy of my passport picture on it but no paper licence. For all of us over 70, we don't need a paper copy and although many of the car/van hire companies don't want to know us, there are some who do.    

INFORMATION UPDATE

Before typing the above I tried to extract my details from the DVLA site and was met with a command to enter the correct licence number. After a couple of attempts, I gave up. No joy.

I have just tried again and went in to the site by a different path. As the system didn't like my number, which I carefully copied from the number 5 on my licence, I went via other way asking what was my number?

After entering my name, D.O.B and N.I.number, it gave me back the number I had on my licence but I have a space and then two digits extra.  This pathway explained those numbers where a separate item.

Going back to square one, I now entered my licence number without the extra numbers and it was accepted and I was able to print off my details. 

Boring really, no points on licence. Having said that I shall have to be extra careful now in the future!

Im in ireland , and for the last year or so , we have the new EU standardised credit card photo license. Very neat compared to to the crazy multi page old one , or even the never passport sized thingy, that always disintegrated....

I remember coming across drivers who had never taken a driving test in their lives.....

Admiles, (sorry, quote doesn't seem to work for me),

People don't mind change, but they do get scared and confused

when that change is instigated by a government run organisation.

That quite often takes advice, not from people who might know what's

going on, but from either media types (who's only interest is cover their

own @rses in case it goes t!ts up) or accountants who only care about

the cost, not whether it will work properly!

I remember coming across drivers who had never taken a driving test in their lives....

Neither father or grandfather passed a driving test; the former was given a licence during WW2, and the latter was an Army driver in Salonika during WW1 (unfortunately, this defined his driving style until his death..) My mum's brother learnt on a tank, whilst f-i-l passed his 'test' at Catterick one day, and was a driving instructor the next...

I remember coming across drivers who had never taken a driving test in their lives.....

Indeed, around 1988 . In Ireland there was such a backlog, they gave everyone on a provisional license,an automatic full license without any test. My brother was one of the fortunate

• RMweb Premium

Sounds a bit like Blackburn.............. (other areas are available)

Cheers,

Mick

I was taken aback somewhat with my new photocard licence..[received gratis having renewed my C+E and D entitlements...frightening really, since I am officially an OAP [potentially] next year?].............when I turned the card over to check my categories....a slight tilt of the card had my ugly face staring back at me!

Charming, DVLA...you sure know how to frighten the wits out of someone!

:(

• RMweb Gold

Sounds a bit like Blackburn.............. (other areas are available)

Cheers,

Mick

I've just ordered a dash cam - and lets just say it's not because the local driving standards are high and I'm wowed ...

• RMweb Premium

I've just ordered a dash cam - and lets just say it's not because the local driving standards are high and I'm wowed ...

Looking forward to the results on youtube.............

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

It's not a dashcam I need but a rear-facing one. I've not been moved for long and I've already been honked at twice for having the audacity to slow right down to take an almost doubling back bend despite indicating well in advance. Can only be so long before some idiot runs into the back of me.

The change of address bit was on the counterpart, which I posted off on Saturday, but it'll get there when it's out of date, hope it's still accepted (the online system didn't work for some reason, possibly due to the connection being hopelessly flakey).

• RMweb Premium

Precisely. My paper licence says it is valid until 2023.

Unless you move.

My paper one was valid to the year dot, but got changed to a photo ID + Counterpart when I moved

Keith

Archived