The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

DVLA abolish driving licence paper counterpart - Vehicle Hire implications

Bezzy Oppo

• RMweb Premium

I remember coming across drivers who had never taken a driving test in their lives.....

My dad didn't

He had a motorcycle license (no test taken) and even when the driving test started they were still valid for cars.

Keith

Precisely. My paper licence says it is valid until 2023.

Until you're 70,

Unless you move.

My paper one was valid to the year dot, but got changed to a photo ID + Counterpart when I moved

We moved house and received new revised paper licences with our new address, just before the change over to the 2 part license.

IIRC it was free to do this at the time.

Since then we've never been tempted to request a replacement and change over to the 2 part license with its 10 year renewal fee.

That leaves me with 10 more years before I'll have to finally cough up.

As for car hire abroad.

I've rented cars in Spain and Portugal several times in the last 12 months and I'm sure I've been asked for my driving license only once. Usually they just want to see my passport and credit card.

The much derided Government IT programs?

Renewing a Tax Disc is a complete doddle.

One of the easiest processes on the internet and much easier that many commercial online stores or registration processes.

Passport renewal is a more involved process and more complicated, but still relatively straightforward considering what's involved.

• RMweb Gold

' However, the British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association said it would be much better if there were an online IT system which hire companies could use to check convictions themselves.'

Isn't this what the code is giving them ?

I'd rather not have all and sundry accessing information when they felt like it. 

I'd rather not have all and sundry accessing information when they felt like it. 

Will not be long before someone (insurance company? North Korean teenager?) hacks into the database and spreads the word around to all who will offer some discreet payment for the information. The database must be pretty open to attack ..... now how long does the PIN last, how many characters?

Dunno what all the fuss is about?

All the information anyone who needs to know, is on the plastic licence now.

Or, held by DVLA, and accessible.

As for hiring vehicles?

Don't you all think hirers will have already embraced the technology, and do the accessing of your licence details for themselves?

That will come ....... but at what additional cost to the hirer ?

I regularly hire cars in Spain.

My photocard has always been accepted, and I can't recall ever being asked for the paper counterpart.

Although we usually book online before flying out, I've never once been asked for my Spanish address, only the general area where I'm staying.

My greater concern is being scammed by certain Spanish car hire companies ( especially Europcar and their damage scam - avoid them like the plague)and by that I mean the established companies NOT those operating out of a panel van in the old Alicante airport car park !.

Brian R

I regularly hire cars in Spain.

My photocard has always been accepted, and I can't recall ever being asked for the paper counterpart.

Although we usually book online before flying out, I've never once been asked for my Spanish address, only the general area where I'm staying.

My greater concern is being scammed by certain Spanish car hire companies ( especially Europcar and their damage scam - avoid them like the plague)and by that I mean the established companies NOT those operating out of a panel van in the old Alicante airport car park !.

Brian R

Brian

I was advised to photograph your hire car from all sides and angles before you take it on he road and the same as you return it!

Mark

Will not be long before someone (insurance company? North Korean teenager?) hacks into the database and spreads the word around to all who will offer some discreet payment for the information. The database must be pretty open to attack ..... now how long does the PIN last, how many characters?

Perhaps it would be better if ones driving history was just made public and free to access by all. No concerns about North Korea then.

I mean court judgements are public

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm thinking of those (and there are a lot) who need to hire and just don't, can't or won't use tech.

If you're going abroad and wish to hire, any code generated where you can access the web only lasts 72 hours. That could take a lot more planning than carrying your paper counterpart.

Just announced that the code is now valid for 21 days, rather than 72 hours.

Cheers,

Mick

Archived