Heljan Lion

Guest 47107

• RMweb Gold

There is a whole section of D0260 Lion images here :-

Lion In Service

I didn't realise that Lion had two differing nameplates :-

Just as clean and shiny as i remember it on 3C07cool.gif We (i.e the regular Reading station spotters of that era) used to call that train the 'three o'clock parcels' as it arrived at Reading on the Down Main at about 3p.m and then proceeded to do some shunting attaching vans. It was a very popular train with the spotting fraternity of that era as it was the back working of Swindon's running in and test turn for new diesels - up with a Bristol passenger train in the morning and back on 3C07. And just think of the impression that shiny white loco made - it was clean, it really was 'shiny', and it stood out from everything around it even new diesels in the regular green but just imagine it next to grubby steam engines; it made almost as big an impression as the Blue Pullman because it was so very different from everything else.

Guest baldrick25

Still waiting for delivery of my pre-ordered Lion from Rails... Makes me wonder why I did bother to preorder, and preorder a load of other future releases, when I could have bought one of the Heljan 4005's from quite a few local sources by now. Maybe I could blame 'the post', but I was seriously expecting delivery today , and waited ( and wasted) a day in hope and expectation. Did ordering on the day they were announced , really count for nothing?

Mine sits in front of me on the desk. Beautiful. My earlier issue about the fans has been addressed. Very well too, I must say. No need to fit the Extreme Etchings ones now. Just need to fit a couple of figures in the leading cab and paint the couplings white. As for weathering it. Hmmmmmmmmmm.....................A light dusting around the bogies, tanks and exhaust with powders and a little grease on the buffers and that's about it.

Edit. Will also take the shine off the wheels, but maybe only with matt varnish.

Guest Max Stafford

Lion arrived here at 1PM, beating even the email from Hattons confirming despatch! :lol:

Yes, a very nice looking model needing only a little relief shading on the underframe and odd recesses. Very much a case of less is more though.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived from Hattons today.

My biggest concern after I got burnt with the first batch of Claytons was how she ran but have to say very impressed. Very smooth and quiet with a fair turn of speed.

She's certainly restored my faith and confidence!

For anyone who ordered from Rails but have not received theirs yet, here is the story from Rails via email

Thank you for your email. We have had one pallet of these delivered and have dispatched all of these. Unfortunately the other pallet has been delivered to the wrong depot. We have chased this up and it should be arriving with us tomorrow. Please accept our apologies for the delay, but as we have been dispatching these in order of date processed yours was not one of the ones that was dispatched.

Please be assured that we will get this dispatched to you as soon as the other pallet arrives with us.

So I'm guessing next week for me, unfortunate but one of those things.

As I ordered mine in March last year there must have been a fair amount of orders going in pretty early.

Mike

The more I look at the pictures the more I want one the grills and paint job look excellent, wonder if it was ever seen with Falcon, or double headed (can see this being done now) that would be a strange contrast of colours. As I model the eastern region I can just about justify one.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if someone would not mind answering this question for me.

When I look at pictures there is a definate difference in colour between the bogies, underframe and the body.

To me the body looks painted while the underframe and bogies look moulded into a coloured plastic.

My question is , was this the case on the prototype (difference in colour) and if not is it as noticable in the flesh as in the pictures?

Thanks.

Garry

I wonder if someone would not mind answering this question for me.

When I look at pictures there is a definate difference in colour between the bogies, underframe and the body.

To me the body looks painted while the underframe and bogies look moulded into a coloured plastic.

My question is , was this the case on the prototype (difference in colour) and if not is it as noticable in the flesh as in the pictures?

Thanks.

Garry

Hi Garry. I have been looking at my model of Lion for a good few minutes now in order to answer your question and have to say that I am undecided on this. The one thing I am sure about is that this is a cracking model in almost every respect and Heljan are to be congratulated. The actual bogie detail is pretty good but would benefit from light weathering in order to highlight it.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your reply, thats why I was wondering as photography/light conditions can do strange things to colours sometimes.

I am on the fence at the moment about ordering one, maybe best for me to try and see one up close.

I think you are right though, maybe a dusting of weathering on the underframe and bogies will detract my eye :)

Thanks.

Garry

Guest baldrick25

Still waiting for delivery of my pre-ordered Lion from Rails... Makes me wonder why I did bother to preorder, and preorder a load of other future releases, when I could have bought one of the Heljan 4005's from quite a few local sources by now. Maybe I could blame 'the post', but I was seriously expecting delivery today , and waited ( and wasted) a day in hope and expectation. Did ordering on the day they were announced , really count for nothing?

I'm still waiting for my 'Lion' to escape from Sheffield.

I read the story that they only had half the order etc, but as I have had no email, no contact , and no model, I rang them. Mine is in the first batch, ie in stock , was paid for on my card one week last tuesday ago, and is still in 'despatch' , whatever that is . The missing palette was proffered as an excuse, an entirely irrelevant red herring.

Asked when it will be despatched, and the answer ' as soon as possible'. In my case , taking the plunge and pre-ordering means being one of the last in the queue.

Pre-ordering for future models, no thanks , I'll get one when they are in stock.

As someone who continues to use the standard NEM couplings, it always seems a shame to me to hack away at the buffer beam details to fit one. I tend to only fit one end so that the other stays intact, but it makes it a bit less flexible on the layout. Anyway, nurse! The scissors... I'm going in.

Also, Heljan couplings always seem to droop really badly and therefore don't couple smoothly; hope this is better.

It really is a belting model though.

• RMweb Premium

I'm struggling to resist buying one of these, nearly got as far as hovering my mouse button over the 'Add to cart' button on Hattons site a few minutes ago.

The trouble is how can I justify 'Lion' on either a 1960's Southern rural Sussex BLT or early 1990's NSE layout?!?

I suppose I could always repaint it in original NSE livery.... :D

• RMweb Premium

Well in my mind I've brought the lifting of the preserved diesel ban on BR lines forward a bit (my layout is based late 70's/early 80's BR blue) and have the prototype Deltic, Kestrel and now Lion running specials.

I even invested in some maroon and blood and custard 'preserved' coaches to add to the effect.

Lion in my loft ,lovely model but there could be a problem,I took my first model back to shop as it wobbled , I was given an exchange model no questions asked but the second model is only slightly better , has anybody else got this issue my other locos kestral ,falcon, deltic etc run perfect on same track :(

Lion in my loft ,lovely model but there could be a problem,I took my first model back to shop as it wobbled , I was given an exchange model no questions asked but the second model is only slightly better , has anybody else got this issue my other locos kestral ,falcon, deltic etc run perfect on same track :(

Mine has a slight wobble which I thought, was due to my poor test track. It also has a slight mechnical squeak when running in one direction. This has virtually disappeared with running in. Otherwise a superb model.

Mine wobbles as well at speed, similar to the early Bachmann 47.

Nonetheless it is so different to anything else that I run, it is startling.

I think that the bogies and underframes/tanks are painted rather than self coloured, they are very matte. Indeed, self coloured white plastics are notorious for discolouration over time so this would have been a risk for Heljan.

Nonetheless, there is a noticeable colour difference between body and chassis, and I believe this is largely due to the thickness of plastic to which paint has been applied. The body moulding is very thin in places, making the paint appear whiter. However this is marginal, and provided the colours are stable, this is really not an issue.

I must complement Heljan for the choice of prototype, and execution of this model. It has the 'wow' factor, and will look marvellous at the head of Pullmans or Mk1's on many a layout (including exhibitions). Lining and printing is excellent, and the moulded '5 gold stripes' are fine and beautifully coloured.

Heljan continue to learn, and improve their models (typified by the roof fans on this model) without going overboard on unnecessary detail. Hopefully this will continue to facilitate more 'less common' prototypes with smaller production runs, still at affordable prices.

One piece of advice - don't pick the loco up after a session with the track cleaning rubber! Whoever said never buy a white car was right!

V. Happy!

N

Some have and some haven't. There's an earlier post explaining the situation. Sadly I'll have to wait two weeks for mine as LMC don't get theirs till next week and it's being delivered to my parents. Ah well, be worth the wait from the sounds of things!

Archived