Taunton Members Day April 2010

Captain Kernow

LOOK OUT !! INVADERS FROM OVER THE BORDER !!ohmy.gif

(Oh, hang on, I'm from there as well......) - Right chaps, look forward to seeing you there biggrin.gif

Invaders normally grab what they want, and bog off home again...

...but Stu, you invaded + stayed!!! :O

We promise to do the former (but without the grabbing!!! But we can't promise not to buy anything from the rather fab trader who was there last year!!!) :D :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

One more step towards the Taunton Members Day was taken today, when I ordered the pasties from the usual local farm shop down here.

Of course, it was necessary to 'road test' one at lunch time.

I'd have loved to have posted up a photo of the pasty for you all to appreciate what's on offer at Taunton, but unfortunately, despite extensive searches, no trace of it could subsequently be found... :lol: :lol: ;)

.....I'd have loved to have posted up a photo of the pasty for you all to appreciate what's on offer at Taunton, but unfortunately, despite extensive searches, no trace of it could subsequently be found... :lol: :lol: ;)

Give it a few hours CK, should be able to trace it then.. :O

Penlan

Don't yet know if I can make it this year. I will be due to be going to Taunton that day, but unfortunately I'll be working and only have a 9 minute turn around. Have to see if I can swap my Sunday.

• RMweb Gold

If you bring some of your vast collection of locos to display, John, I'll buy you a nice pint of Otter, and that's a promise! wink.gif

He’s getting the dregs out now!laugh.gif Sorry I'll go now!

hello,

i will definately be in attendance, but i was just wondering if i could bring some of my diesel locos and possibly run them on some of the layouts exhibited.

Sorry if this sounds rude and i donj't know if this was the 'done thing'

Thanks alot for your time,

Jonny

• RMweb Gold

hello,

i will definately be in attendance, but i was just wondering if i could bring some of my diesel locos and possibly run them on some of the layouts exhibited.

Sorry if this sounds rude and i donj't know if this was the 'done thing'

Thanks alot for your time,

Jonny

Jonty - I'm sure we can sort something out - I'll PM you shortly!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am happy to announce the line-up for the RMWeb Members Day at Taunton on Sunday 25th April 2010.

The layouts appearing are as follows:

1) Graham Muzprat’s ‘Fisherton Sarum’ needs no further introduction on this forum! Graham’s wonderful, atmospheric 4mm Southern Railway shed-based layout makes a welcome appearance at Taunton this year.

2) ‘Hedges Hill Cutting’ – 2mm scale, courtesy of Bentley Model Railway Club. This compact but beautifully detailed 2mm layout is well known on the exhibition circuit and Bentley MRC are now a regular ‘fixture’ at our Taunton Members Days!

3) ‘Cogirep’ 3.5mm scale (HO) by Al Reynolds (Barry 10). Al writes: Cogirep is a small HO diorama depicting a rail-served industry on the outskirts of Paris, somewhere in the last thirty years. Goods trains arrive, are shunted into sidings for loading/unloading, and then depart again - all at a snail's pace. The layout is based around Peco track, kitbuilt and scratchbuilt buildings, and makes much use of weathered RTR rolling stock and diesel locomotives, from the likes of Roco and Piko. Cogirep was built over a period of one year between 2006 - 2007 but since then I have continued to modify it and add many more details. The aim is to capture the ambience of a claustrophobic city industry at dusk.

It's also due to appear in the April issue of Continental Modeller.

4) Brian Harrap is bringing another of his superb 3.5mm scale P87 layouts – ‘Multi-Gauge ZOB’. Be prepared to be amazed by the triple gauge interlaced track, all to ‘P’ standards, working overhead catenary and a train ferry! In the days before ‘Photoshop’, Brian once took this layout up onto Dartmoor to get some interesting back-drops for a Continental Modeller article!

5) Getting the nomination for probably the furthest travelled layout coming to Taunton this year is ‘Forks Trestle’ by Brian Moseby (Mozzer). This is a modular On30 layout based on American practice. More information can be found on RMWeb or here: http://mozzer-models-.fotopic.net/c1723581.html

6) ‘Porth Byhan’ – a super 4mm boxfile layout by Stu Hilton (Stubby47), which makes a welcome return to Taunton after first appearing here in 2009. But this time, it’s got company!

7) ‘Wheal Tiny’ – another layout of small proportions built by Stu Hilton, this time 7mm scale, narrow gauge – some of the buildings for this layout have appeared on the forum.

8) ‘Bracty Bridge’ (aka ‘Roath Minor’) – a 4mm ‘minimum space’ layout by Marc Smith, which has been documented on the forum previously. Last year, Marc brought his stunning ‘Hendre Lane’ and we are very much looking forward to this and his other offering in 2010!

9) Marc Smith’s superb ‘Clarbeston North', minimum-space 7mm layout – more information here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/9892-minimum-space-o-gauge-layout/page__hl__bracty__fromsearch__1

Displays, demonstrations and trade

Sandy Croall (Penlan) will be bringing a display cabinet featuring some of the lovely locos and rolling stock used on his EM gauge L&NWR layout ‘Penlan’

Phil Eakins will again be demonstrating the use of a Resistance Soldering Unit (RSU), and with a bit of luck might be using an item or two for his new 7mm layout as demonstration pieces!

Rod Cameron (10800) will again be unravelling the mysteries of Templot for the nervous or uninitiated

Martin McDermott (Pugsley) will be giving us a demonstration of his exceptional weathering skills

Simon 'Mr.S.corn78' will be demonstrating the 'dark art' (his words, not mine! ;) ) of DCC

Paul Hutfield (Kempenfelt) will be bringing some samples of his 5" gauge live steam stock, including an ex-L&Y 'A' class 0-6-0 tender loco, some wagons and possibly a BR Standard Class 4 2-6-4T chassis under construction

Dave Harding of The Model Shop, Exeter will again be in attendance with a selection of new R-T-R, R-T-P and kits & bits

Catering

The ‘Ladies of SWAG’ will again be running our catering operation for us, with the usual ‘Taunton Pasty’ from The Captain’s local Devon farm shop again on sale, together with a range of cakes, drinks and other treats. A new main course delight this year, as an alternative to the pasty, is a superb home-made shepherds pie. Although Wendy will sadly not be able to accompany Andy Y this year due to other committments, I am very happy to announce that the catering team will be ably assisted by Nadine Moseby, aka 'Mrs Mozzer', aka 'Miss LMS'!

So, do please come along to Staplegrove Village Hall, Taunton on Sunday 25th April next. Opening times are 1000 to 1600 hrs. SWAG looks forward to seeing you!

Edit 23/3/10 - due to Jonty not now being able to bring layout

Edit 29/3/10 - due to Stu not being able to bring Polbraze

Edit 14/4/10 - to update the details of the catering team

Edit 19/4/10 - due to Modfather not being able to bring layout and show details of Kempenfelt's 5" gauge items on display

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear - confusion has arisen - PM on it's way!

Hi Tim,

you had me worried for a moment as i had to do a lot of greasing palms to get the right travel visa's wink.gif for some reason officials think i pratice magic unsure.gif unsure.gif

cheers

Simon

I'm unable to get to Taunton as OH is having an operation on her foot (See it they can get it right this (the fifth) time) but there are still three sheets of laminated glass available for a tenner - see http://www.rmweb.co....-for-modelling/ - it's being sold for funds. Andy Y is bringing them down so PM me to reserve, please.

We've just come back from a weekend away and visited the WSR weekend yesterday. She took more railway related pix than I did, and now has her nose buried in Locomotive Engineers of the GWR. I'm now getting questions about the industrial archaeology of railway buildings. I feel lucky!

Archived