If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

First reactions?

Andy Y

Let's hope that everyone titles their topics properly then to save you all that trouble.

I'd rather the problem was nipped before it started, and the sections were split so it was obvious where the posts were meant to go in the first place, so people interested in only one scale didn't have to wade through what may well be pages of irrelevant stuff.

But then again, it's not up to me is it.

• RMweb Premium

Well, my first reaction is that I had better sit down and read all the very helpful "how to" guides very carefully. I have unfortunately reached the age where new developments tend to be viewed with suspicion, but I shall try to work it all out. I'm sure it is not as complex as it looks.

Gilbert

• RMweb Premium

As I said, my main point of entry has always been Active Topics/Content as I'm on here most days and see virtually every post that comes in on a daily basis. I still can't see the "go to the latest post" on any one particular post in the Active Topics page. I can see the icon for today which takes me to the posts today, but then have to scroll back to the last one I read. Is the "take me to the last post I read" icon missing for each and every single topic on the Active Content page?

Could be I need more retraining than I first thought......

I was confusticated by this, as I couldn't see the 'view new posts' icon either, but I investigated further and it turns out that when you're viewing 'View new content' or 'Active Topics', if you click on the link to the thread it automatically takes you to the first unread post, rather than having an icon to click on. If however, you visit a forum area directly (that is not via the 'View new content' link but by navigating to the forum via the menus on the left handside of the screen) then the 'first unread post' icon is there.

• RMweb Premium

A note:

When viewing the list of blogs, there are two icons on the right of the screen, one for 'table view', the other for 'list view'.

In 'list view', which appears to be the default, the various items are sorted bydate, with the title of the last blog entry as the key visual item.

However, in 'table view', the items are in date order by the date/time of the last entry, but with the blog title as the key visual item. I think table view is easier to use to find the latest happenings with a blog, rather than list view.

It would be useful if the list/table of blogs could be sorted, either by blog title, user name, or date. That would give us some control over finding blogs.

Quiet impressed with the site and the changes, apart from the blog. Never really used one before

and from what I have seen so far in trying to use it not impressed.

Its the one bit thats disappointing, even more so that when you want to look at the

recent threads (active content) the layouts don't seem to appear in the list, yet in

the old RMweb everything recent was together in one list....

Also still trying to work out how I can view my replied to topic's

I understand and agree the need to move forward but the blog is not for me

(at present anyway)

cheers

Keith

The only language option at present is "English US" which irks me as a user of "British English" which differs in spelling and grammar, not to say usage at times.

I don't know why anyone's is grumbling about that, it's not a spellchecker, it's not telling us to Americanise our spellings - it's there as a language option for the text in tabs, buttons and links. For instance I could install another language pack, French for instance and then users could select between 'operating' languages.

It may have been wise to ask what it was for before slamming it.

BTW- the reputation system isn't turned on either at the moment so that didn't need slamming again either.

• RMweb Premium

Quiet impressed with the site and the changes, apart from the blog. Never really used one before

and from what I have seen so far in trying to use it not impressed.

Its the one bit thats disappointing, even more so that when you want to look at the

recent threads (active content) the layouts don't seem to appear in the list, yet in

the old RMweb everything recent was together in one list....

Also still trying to work out how I can view my replied to topic's

I understand and agree the need to move forward but the blog is not for me

(at present anyway)

cheers

Keith

I agree that not having the two (general forum and blogs) in the same list is at first a bit awkward. But bear in mind that when in the 'View New Content' screen, the tab for 'Layouts/blogs' only shows a list of the latest postings to blogs, so it's not as awkward as I first thought, and in some ways is actually easier as the two tabs have separated the areas and now I can see layout/blog updates listed on their own. I think I will get to like that as time goes on. The biggest bugbear for me with the Layout/blogs new content screen is that the view can't be changed ('table' or 'list') like it can with the main layouts/blogs screen (accessed from the tab bar under the RMweb title).

• RMweb Gold
Again Im being a bit simple here, but isnt the idea of a Blog something you write, to educate entertain or inform? ie not have every "thumbs up nutter" adding to it perpetually?

Hi Mickey,

Sure you can write to entertain. But if your intention is also to educate or inform, you have to make very sure that you get your facts right. Otherwise it's only fair to other RMweb members that someone else can jump in and put a correction or alternative view if necessary.

If you want to write your own stuff without any hindrance or checks at all, the proper way would be to do it on your own web site, rather than this one.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

I had to reregister, which given I had only just started on the old site was no major problem, still finding my way around, but the offshore and dcc sections are still easily available , so as they are my main interests , its business as usual for me.

Blogging is a new concept , and as I am currently sans layout, not a participation sport for me just now, however, i did enjoy the layout progress threads on the old site, and my only comment so far is its harder to find the particular ones I was looking at now than it used to be, however, that is probably down to me missing some user settings or the like rather than the system itself.

I have been here for a few days now so have been taking the opportunity to have a nose around and start to get to grips with the look and feel of it. Not being very computer savvy I have only a basic ability to access all the advanced features but that is down to me.

I really must say that initial impressions are favourable. I really like what I am seeing so far. It is akin to going from 'Puffing Billy' to "Virgin Lady" so to speak. I like the blogs and the galleries especially are a great feature which mean that the pictures are easier to access and to look through. To be able to use the forum to its full extent means some new learning needs to take place- and that can't be too bad a thing.

I have also had a try of the messenger service and feel that is a great improvement too. It is easier to add recipient's names (as they are 'suggested' by the letters typed in- pretty much like Firefox does in locating previoulsy visited websites). I also like the fact that the reply is fully visible in my email inbox.

I am sure that there are some features that I won't like (I remain unsure about reputations) or don't use- but that is true of life in general. However the basic forum is still there and the same high quality info posted by the same hight quality correspondents. That is the strength of this forum and long may it continue.

So once again Andy (and team) thanks for your continued efforts in supplying us with the foundations for the great forum that RMWeb is.

• RMweb Gold
I am not a fan of the internet phenomenon known as the "blog" and had hoped to find that the layout topics might be covered in a more appropriate manner than they are. This is RMWeb not RMBlog and I had thought that perhaps we might be able to post our work for others to share, promote and comment upon, to enjoy and to celebrate our hobby and achievements. Instead I find that the only way to do this is in a rather different format to what has been the case and one that I do not find helpful or supportive.

Hi Rick,

I must admit that I agree with most of that. I don't much like the "one man and his blog" approach either.

However, it's not actually compulsory to post your layout or workbench stuff in a blog. You can just as easily post it as a normal topic as before. There's a sub-forum called The Showcase which would seem to be appropriate for layouts:

http://www.rmweb.co....6-the-showcase/

and workbench stuff can go in the relevant sub-forum. That's actually better than the previous arrangement, where building track and painting wagons, say, might be mixed up together in the same workbench topic.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

First impression to me is it looks very good, nice and crisp and good to look at. Thank you Andy and the Team for all the work. Being an old technofart, with Luddite and Phillistine tendencies, I'm struggling a bit, but hopefully familiarity will come soon. One daft question..('cos the answer is probably staring me in the face!).. how can I see when there's a PM waiting for me?..the old (1 new message) was very easy to see......wrist waiting to be slapped! icon_e_wink.gif

This is my first post on the new forum.

I haven??™t voted yet. I??™m still playing around with the new features. But as requested here are my initial thoughts (they will change I??™m sure).

I like:

The clean appearance.

The speed

The new higher resolution available in the galleries

I dislike:

The workbench and layout blogs. Finding stuff seems much harder. OK, it has been only 3 days but at least I have learnt why I never blogged before. Not for me I think.

The structure of the galleries. I hope we get an index system before it gets too big.

I really dislike:

The idea of a rating system. I hope I can opt out.

I miss:

The anecdotal evidence and comments that often accompanied prototype pictures. These would frequently contain details of workings and locations. The 1980??™s Scottish and Western region threads were among my favourites. I hope a way can be found to bring back the eye witness and expert reports on photographs in the galleries and postings.

Many thanks to everyone involved.

Hi Rick,

I must admit that I agree with most of that. I don't much like the "one man and his blog" approach either.

However, it's not actually compulsory to post your layout or workbench stuff in a blog. You can just as easily post it as a normal topic as before. There's a sub-forum called The Showcase which would seem to be appropriate for layouts:

http://www.rmweb.co....6-the-showcase/

and workbench stuff can go in the relevant sub-forum. That's actually better than the previous arrangement, where building track and painting wagons, say, might be mixed up together in the same workbench topic.

regards,

Martin.

Martin

I like your idea of using the showcase section of the forum for layout threads, but I do wonder what Andy might think of this...

Will people be given a choice of which one they prefer to post in?

cheers

Keith

I'd rather the problem was nipped before it started, and the sections were split so it was obvious where the posts were meant to go in the first place, so people interested in only one scale didn't have to wade through what may well be pages of irrelevant stuff.

But then again, it's not up to me is it.

1) It's not a problem for everyone.

2) And for people whose interest is in more than one scale?

3) Take a lead and title your topics correctly, others may follow - do we have to do everything?

4) No it isn't.

• RMweb Gold
One daft question..('cos the answer is probably staring me in the face!).. how can I see when there's a PM waiting for me?..the old (1 new message) was very easy to see......wrist waiting to be slapped! icon_e_wink.gif

Hi,

The number of unread PMs appears in a green pad next to your sign-in name. Admittedly it's not quite as prominent as before (a red pad would be better):

post-1103-12553515014694_thumb.png

You can also make a setting in My Settings to have new PMs pop-up in the middle of the screen while you are browsing the site. You can also get an email notification of new PMs.

regards,

Martin.

I miss:[/size][/font]

The anecdotal evidence and comments that often accompanied prototype pictures. These would frequently contain details of workings and locations. The 1980??™s Scottish and Western region threads were among my favourites. I hope a way can be found to bring back the eye witness and expert reports on photographs in the galleries and postings.

No reason why that can't continue. Photos can be included in topics, they don't all have to go in the gallery.

1) It's not a problem for everyone.

2) And for people whose interest is in more than one scale?

3) Take a lead and title your topics correctly, others may follow - do we have to do everything?

4) No it isn't.

I note that not one post in the "Bachmann/Farish" section states what scale it is referring to - when the N and OO versions of a particular item may well be quite different and/or have different issues.

You may not seem to think it's an issue, but I think in the long run it will become one. I'd be interested to hear other people's opinions on it.

I'd be interested to hear other people's opinions on it.

I've explained at length on the previous forum and also via PM that I do not wish to have scale/gauge/era division within the forum so that's that one covered.

Ok first post on the new forum. Done as asked and spent 3 days as a registered user but also spent a couple of days before that looking around too.

First thoughts... Yeah doesn't look bad. Infact it looks like the old forum just with added gimmicks down one side. Status updates just looks like more Chaff. Thought chaff was being cut down or is the status updates for the chaffers to keep on chaffing????

Infact it is pretty much just the old rmweb getting a lick of paint. The only difference is instead of having to dig around in 2 sections, the layout thread and workbench threads have been bundled together into blogs. Nice idea but even before the forum was opened up to the masses, it was already getting hard to find stuff that i actually wanted to read. It was just like digging throught the stuff on the old forum and i found it pretty hard to understand what i was actually looking at with the blogs. Ok since then i've found you can click the thing on the side and it changes it to topics and not just what people have wrote, but surely it should of been set like that in the first place as that makes it a lot more user friendly!

The voting system looks a bit McDonalds to me blink.gif Who's playing Ronald or Hamburglar laugh.gif Ok we're now not supposed to talk about this "feature" but this is part of my first reaction and i like, alot of other have said, would perfer to opt out of this instead of get treated like i'm at school. Its been said it'll bring the good modelling to the new readers eyes quicker but just because someone (or a group of people) keep voting for the same thing dosen't mean it good modelling! Look at the amount of moaning we have each month in the MRJ threads and that mags only supposed to be good modelling!

I guess its one of them things that you just have to get used to if you don't like something. Ok yeah i found a few useful things here already that i actually just missed/didn't look at on the old forum but that was before everyone else was on here and i guess time will tell if trying to find these little gems will be as easy here as it was back then. The only thing i'd say is that at the minute the forum/community looks more like its about showing itself off and not the actual modelling.

I know this sounds like just one big moan but for now i'll just sit back and watch i think.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I have to chime in and agree that I don't find the layout and workbench Blog format very useful. Either we need a "new posts" view that is like the forums and shows where I've been and what I haven't seen or we should go back to a forum area. It's just odd having the threads split between two formats.

All IMHO of course and I fully appreciate the huge efforts that have gone into getting our new home where it is today.

Cheers

Dave

Archived