The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

I've had the expected notification that Win 10 is available but it looks like it is insisting I download and install it along with a normal Win 7 update.

I've tried to just do the normal Win 7 update and I can't see how not to do Win 10 at the same time!

I intended to download 10 and wait on the install until there have been some reports from acoss the wider PC community.

Any suggestions?

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Went into my update options and managed to de-select Win10 (for now) so just did the Win 7 one.

It seems more insistent than usual as it doesn't appear in the normal list of updates which you can tick or untick.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I would avoid downloading the program at the moment. It is still 'new and untested', quoting one of my friends and the ICT bods at school.

If your Windows 7 system has updates to install, go to the update page in the control panel and select Windows 7 only! If anyone is unsure please say and I'll post a screen shot!

Kind regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

Had quite a few problems with this on the laptop last night. It managed to download Windows 10 ok (or seemed to) then took ages to try and install it, but kept failing at that point. Error 80060 if that means anything to our tech gurus?

Just finished udgrading our Win 8.1 laptop and everything seems to be running fine. It took a couple of hours, but no more than expected, and once I'd deselected everything during the installation that I considered intrusive, went perfectly smoothly. Haven't even looked at Edge, as we're more than happy with Firefox.

All-in-all, a happy Windows 10 user (having said that, I also liked 8.1, which wasn't everybody's experience), but we'll have to see how the relationship develops... :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All-in-all, a happy Windows 10 user (having said that, I also liked 8.1, which wasn't everybody's experience), but we'll have to see how the relationship develops... :)

I have to say I am a very happy Windows 7 user! It will take a lot to persuade me to upgrade any time soon.

Kind regards,

Nick

• RMweb Gold
however, when Microsoft's Terry Myerson started talking about Windows 10 "as a service." Did that mean that after that first year of free availability, Windows 10 would cost an annual fee? I asked Myerson for clarification after the presentation, and he confirmed that there will be no additional fees attached to Windows 10, whenever you buy it.

Myerson clarified that Windows 10 users will still get free updates and support for the lifetime of the OS, exactly like past versions of Windows (like XP and Windows 7's Service Packs, for example). There's no subscription model for updates or support or continuing to use the OS. Myerson's reference to Windows "as a service" simply meant that Microsoft plans to update the OS with smaller, more regular updates rather than the big, chunky updates of past Service Packs.

http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-10-will-not-be-sold-as-a-subscription/

Let's stick to facts not scare mongering please.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A word of warning though: Win-10 is the portal in which M$ enforces any user to eventually get a Win-OS subscription. That is, you'll start paying subscription fees to use Win-10 (and/or all later versions) on top of any application M$ deems essential for you. :rolleyes: In effect, it's like buying a beat-up 2nd (more like 3rd or 4th :P ) hand car, but then having to pay the manufacturer annually for the 'pleasure' of using it, while still having to pay extra for any and all tools that repair it :rolleyes:

I'm not touching it with a bargepole! :nono:

Decent, free alternative: Linux Mint (choose the MATE desktop version for an WinXP-like interface)

Funny way to explain! But my understanding was it was free for a year, then you bought it outright?

My reluctance to upgrade is.. If after a year your not happy with it, can you roll back to your previous operating system? Because I doubt you will.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Edited by Brinkly

• RMweb Gold

Funny way to explain! But my understanding was it was free for a year, then you bought it outright?

My reluctance to upgrade is.. If after a year your not happy with it, can you roll back to your previous operating system? Because I doubt you will.

Kind regards,

Nick.

If you have the original discs or these days normally you should have created a recovery disc then I dont see why you can't but it will require backing up your files etc. and starting again.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

If you have the original discs or these days normally you should have created a recovery disc then I dont see why you can't but it will require backing up your fiels etc. and starting again.

That is true.

Read the link above, the option to upgrade if you have win 7 or 8 is free for one year, if you do not upgrade within the year you will have to pay for the upgrade.

Anyone saying otherwise is feeding a conspiracy theory that does not exist.

• Like 1

http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-10-will-not-be-sold-as-a-subscription/

Let's stick to facts not scare mongering please.

I've yet to see an argument in favour of using Linux as a desktop operating system that didn't revolve around slagging off Microsoft.  

Based on the info in the link, it looks like they've cottoned on to the fact that Windows XP took a long time to die because nobody could be bothered to pay to upgrade to a later version when there was no obvious benefit. A time limited free upgrade means that more people will upgrade, and the older versions of the OS can be killed off sooner (costing MS less money to keep supporting them).

• RMweb Gold

I've yet to see an argument in favour of using Linux as a desktop operating system that didn't revolve around slagging off Microsoft.

You forgot to call them M$ :)

Can't be doing with the fanboi stuff. Operating systems shouldn't have fans.

• RMweb Gold

I updated yesterday from Windows 7.  It took around 2 hours to install, and broke my email accounts (it said it couldn't connect to send, despite working when testing the settings).  Adding another copy of my email account and then deleting it somehow cleared the problem  :scratchhead:

I was also suffering a very jerky mouse pointer in Chrome. That's gone away now.

The UI is vaguely unpleasant - far too plain and no borders or shading to contain related items, and Explorer now seems to have acquired that ridiculous chaos bar (sorry, ribbon) so beloved by Office products.

If you have 7, I'd say stick with it.

Mal

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Based on the info in the link, it looks like they've cottoned on to the fact that Windows XP took a long time to die because nobody could be bothered to pay to upgrade to a later version when there was no obvious benefit. A time limited free upgrade means that more people will upgrade, and the older versions of the OS can be killed off sooner (costing MS less money to keep supporting them).

XP itself hasn't actually died, there are plenty of organisations still using it and they AFAIK still get support from MS. It's the home user/small business that lost the support.

The argument for a free W10 is that MS has changed it's business model so that "everybody" has a free OS but more will buy MS products to run on it.

MS hope to make their money with that change of emphasis.

However only current registered users of Win 7/8 get it free, new installs on single PCs are (IIRC) £99 in the UK.

Keith

Hi I have Window 8.1 and reading my info on the upgrade which is displayed when looking at the down load, says can try it for a month if you wish to switch back that is fine but only have 12 months to have Windows10 totally free upgrade.

No other cost was mentioned even after the year if use the 10 system.. Hope this helps?

• RMweb Premium

I still have XP on my laptop and there are still occasional updates. I use win 7 on my pc.I have the use of a win 8 pc, but I avoid using it like the plague, I just can't get me head around it. Unless the pc dies I won't be changing any time soon.

• RMweb Gold

This article seems to be the definitive answer to everything you might want to ask about Windows 10.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/frequently-asked-questions-windows-10/5c0b9368-a9e8-4238-b1e4-45f4b7ed2fb9

I have Windows 10 on my laptop and it seems fine.  To qualify for the free upgrade you must update a qualifying system (7 or 8.1).  Your PC is then registered as authenticated, after which you can do a clean ISO install if you wish.

My other 2 PCs have full W7 licenses, unlike the laptop which is OEM. The full license can be transferred to another PC, or the existing PC can be upgraded with a new motherboard and the license is still valid.  The above article explains this still applies after upgrading to W10.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've downloaded it tonight on my Windows 8.1 laptop.  It seems to have installed OK and I'm typing this under Windows 10.  So far (About half an hour of use) it seems slower and the start menu seems to take an age to work.   It doesn't have Internet Explorer but something called Microsoft Edge.   When installing it I turned off all the tracking apps that let Microsoft and it's partners know what I'm doing.  I've had to restart once to get the app centre to work and get things going.  I'll report in due course though some of the annoying features of 8.1 such as autozoom on the screen and the jewels appearing from the right seems to have gone.

Certainly the restart was a lot slower than I've been used to.

Jamie