Hornby Announce Mk1 FO and BSO

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

Picked up a BSO and FO from Cheltenham Models today

Have to agree with the shade of blue being dark .

As above my first consideration is close coupling....

post-7138-0-36074400-1509052367_thumb.jpg

Hardly relevant with fitted couplings so swapped them for Hornby R8220s

post-7138-0-94967100-1509052403_thumb.jpg

Not much better - so tried Roco 40270s

post-7138-0-08814400-1509052441_thumb.jpg

Great on the straight but any chance of negotiating a 3ft curve?

post-7138-0-39828000-1509052477_thumb.jpg

Then how about coupling to other coaches - firstly Bachmann fitted with R8220

post-7138-0-13870900-1509052530_thumb.jpg

Then Hornby Gresley fitted with Roco 40270

post-7138-0-18525800-1509052553_thumb.jpg

And finally a Replica FO

post-7138-0-16582100-1509052575_thumb.jpg

That Replica FO has been fitted with Bachmann mechanism

post-7138-0-44152500-1509052594_thumb.jpg

The lack of which is a significant issue for me on these Hornby coaches - the Gresleys had them, so why not on these Mk1s? Might have to look at if a Hornby body might fit on a Bachmann chassis...

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Tom - I did

And needless to say the gap is closer than with the R8220s but not touching as with two 40270s - might go round a 3ft!

Indeed Mike although had to tinker with the one I have done on the RBR you so kindly gave me to get the height right and align with R8220 in Bachmann NEM pocket

Have not yet had the bogies off one of the new Hornbys to see if there is room either for Keen or my own Bachmann mechanism mod - the wheels rims do look very close to the underside of the coach as built

Phil

I've bitten the bullet and bought the full set of 8 Blue/Grey Hornby Mk1s - even though I got a reasonable discount it's a bit wallet lightening, and there's always the gamble that one or more of the releases will end up in the bargain bins but these are pretty core coaches for my interest and the paint matching issues mean that they are likely to run with each other rather than get intermixed with Bachmanns. Bachmann haven't done WR numbered ones and this creates a rake that suits Warships, Westerns, Hymeks, Falcon if I wish (!) and the class 50s so really jolly useful. They aren't as detailed as the Bachmann ones but need less fettling to run (my Bachmann ones have the couplings changed to make use of the CCMs and run in very carefully worked out formations).

The blue is a bit dark and the grey a bit yellowy but it's only really an issue by comparison as both the blue and the grey were very capable of appearing across a range of shades according to lighting conditions, fading, wear etc. 

• Like 5

Anyone know if the NEM boxes on the latest Hornby MK1 bogies are available as spares ? One of mine broke when removing the Hornby hook coupling..........

The mounting is the standard UK practice 'fishtail' one into which the NEM box slides, and the coupling is then slid into the box. Both Bachmann and Hornby offer the couplings complete with the box which is I think what you need, you can then slide out the broken end of the mount and replace the box and coupling.

I've now tried the coaches with one long 'Hornby' Roco style coupling mated to the standard Roco one and that seems to work well - the coaches will negotiate 2nd radius curves, the gap is closed up and just as importantly there is no slack between the coaches:

post-549-0-95185700-1509815700_thumb.jpg

I've dug out some of the last batch of ex-Triang Mk1s that Hornby made around a decade or so ago - here are the old and the new CK together:

post-549-0-78732300-1509815760_thumb.jpg

And here is a five coach rake - 3 new Hornby Mk1s close coupled on the left and the 2 Hornby ex-Triang tooling on the right:

post-549-0-92536700-1509815816_thumb.jpg 

Edited by andyman7

• RMweb Premium

The old Triang models were not that bad were they?

I fitted Replica flush glazing to one, looks pretty good.

Not many Mark 1s left to model now, mainly the restaurants.

The old Triang models were not that bad were they?

I fitted Replica flush glazing to one, looks pretty good.

Not many Mark 1s left to model now, mainly the restaurants.

Did it involve much trimming to get a decent fit Martin? Thinking of doing a mk.1 BFK using this method and some cutting and shutting.

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

Did it involve much trimming to get a decent fit Martin? Thinking of doing a mk.1 BFK using this method and some cutting and shutting.

Martyn.

Just filing off the edge of the glazing, and smoothing the hole.

Both are pretty close on size

Picture of my RMB somewhere on my thread.

Also uses Replica commonwealths off a BG which needed B4s

• RMweb Premium

Just filing off the edge of the glazing, and smoothing the hole.

Both are pretty close on size

Picture of my RMB somewhere on my thread.

Also uses Replica commonwealths off a BG which needed B4s

Somewhere on here with my 2C TSO

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/84888-martins-modifications-tales-from-the-dining-room-table-blue-era-locos-peaks-and-47s/page-6

I thought the Maroon FO was going to have Commonwealth bogies.

But alas not.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/236430/Hornby_R4789_Mk1_FO_first_open_E3050_in_BR_maroon/StockDetail.aspx

Pity they have the no smoking section at the wrong end too. It should be the first 2 windows at the other end. There was an internal partition between the 2nd and 3rd bays. There was no partition in the 4-window end!

Nope, the images of the maroon ones was always the std mk1 bogie.

I think that the  FO was the first mk1 coach to be trialled with commonwealth bogies - but I don't think all received them. I'm happy to be corrected if that wasn't the case. 

• RMweb Gold

I think that the FO was the first mk1 coach to be trialled with commonwealth bogies - but I don't think all received them. I'm happy to be corrected if that wasn't the case.

According to the holy mk1 scriptures, section 3, page 35, column 2, the Commonwealth bogie was trialled as new on E3076 -80 for 150k miles, until 1958 and as standard from 1960 to 1963 before the B4 took over,

Diagrams 71 (3000-2), 72 (3003-19), 73 (3020-3075,3085-3151) all show a BR1 bogie.

Looking at the lot numbers, Lot 648 was the first lot post 1960 (3101-3) that was produced in June 1961.. these could be a candidate for delivery from new with Commonwealths ? That would put up to 95 running with BR1’s upto 1960 and beyond at least. There’s pictures of the odd ball* FO’s (3076-85) running with BR1’s into the late 70’s with BR1’s...3081 being preserved on BR1’s, though BR could have swapped them before handing it over.

* BRCW, GRCW, Cravens and Doncaster prototypes.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

That's my understanding, deliveries from 1960 generally were with CW bogies, until development of the B4 bogie was complete. For the FOs this meant 3101-3150 had them, along with the E3076-80 mentioned earlier.

Of these 4 only E3080 was in stock in 1978, but it still had CW bogies; I believe the trial vehicles kept CW bogies throughout their service life. There is speculation that these 4 could have run in Crimson and Cream livery with Commonwealth bogies for a period in 1956, but no photographic proof as yet. The Hornby model is diag 73, so they have 72 number options for FOs with BR1 bogies -  3020-75, 3085-3100. The 1957-prototypes were 3081-84 under 4 seperate diagrams.

Edited by stovepipe

I have just ordered the BSO/FO in maroon. Looking at the pictures on Hattons website there appear to be no 'First' sausages on the windows? Not to hard to resolve but a litle surprising.

I hope they release the FO in SR green, ideal for 'Ocean Liner Expresses'.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.