The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

model train collection to fetch £150,000 !

peanuts

• RMweb Gold

The old chestnut about not counting your domesticated avians before they emerge from their eggs may apply here.

Very much so when one looks at the lots.  Plenty of continental outline - which in my experience tends not to do too well at auction other than for the rarer locos, plus some US outline and of course some British.  Unless there are some serious continental outline buyers there I suspect that old chestnut might well prove right and much will go below bottom estimate.  The O gauge locos might do well although one or two look a bit rough.

Some of the lots are obviously aimed at dealers so that won't help prices at all but if you live handy and anything appeals a visit to the auction or a dabble via the saleroom (with their additional commission added plus p&p on anything you buy) might amuse

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/wrightmarshall/catalogue-id-wright10120

What a strange collection.

A quick look flags up some bargains in the continental stuff and also some very strange estimates.

Is the old DDR stuff of any value, especially in bulk random lots?

Might be worth signing up and watching for a few lots.

Bernard

Now registered.

• RMweb Gold

Gostude should get his wallet ready!

I expect he already has.  I used to love bidding against him at live auctions as you could either push him out of his buying-in comfort zone or outrun his hoped for profit margin and secure things at a far lower price than he would be looking for on Ebay :jester: 

He probably already has an account there.

Depends how he works.  He might bid via the saleroom buy that would hit his margins  (or push up his prices !!!!!!!!) although I know he used to attend some live bidding auctions further south and spend a lot of money at one go.

Incidentally the estimates are exactly that, estimates - I suspect the 0 gauge ones are more likely 'come on' estimates to encourage bidding rather than accurate estimates of what some of the lots could actually fetch while some of those for continental stuff strike me as way over the top (unless the market has changed drastically in recent times?).   For many of the lots the bidding in the saleroom is likely to start at c.30% of bottom estimate up to about 50% of it unless lots of idiots have put in commission bids which are far higher - this is one of those auctions were bidding on commission is definitely not a course I would follow if I was really after some of the lots as it's likely to push up hammer prices.

Incidentally the auctioneer's own buyer's commission rate isn't bad at all for this day and age. 

Very much so when one looks at the lots.  Plenty of continental outline - which in my experience tends not to do too well at auction other than for the rarer locos, plus some US outline and of course some British.  Unless there are some serious continental outline buyers there I suspect that old chestnut might well prove right and much will go below bottom estimate.  The O gauge locos might do well although one or two look a bit rough.

Some of the US does fall into the 'pile of old tat' category - obsolete models from the 70s etc which unless you get a collector of something obscure (or somebody that doesn't know/care about the quality) might not go at all....

• RMweb Gold

Buyers Premium 20.5%.  Bear this in mind when bidding or when complaining about E Bay :onthequiet:

That's if you are using the saleroom to bid online, the auctioneer's rate is 17.5% if you bidding with them either in the room or on commission.  Don't forget too, as Ivan has suggested, that the buyer's premium is subject to VAT at the standard rate (no question of 'may'. it is a service and therefore liable for VAT unless they are quoting an inclusive rate and the auctioneer isn't and the saleroom definitely don't) so there will be that to add on.  There will be no VAT on the hammer price as all the lots are from a UK based non-trade seller but in all cases if you are not present to make and takeaway any purchases you will have to pay p&p on whatever lots you buy and if you want it insured that too will be an add-on.

• RMweb Gold

An auction in lots to appeal to dealers, by the looks of it. It will all dribble back onto the market, over a long period.

That's my guess, anyway.

Some lots are definitely aimed at dealers (probably the mates of the bloke who did the lotting - oops wash my mouth out).  Only thing is if they are aimed at dealers it's easy to outbid them, provided you have a disposal route for those things you don't want in a particular lot.  

The other reason for lotting in the way it's been done is to achieve a better chance of a lot actually selling - if you keep less popular items in separate lots they won't move whereas mixing them at least stands a chance of getting them on their way - in the past I've bought lots where as much as 60% of the content was of no interest or use to me but I found it easy enough to get shot of what I din't want via RMweb classifieds and make enough to cover the cost of what I'd kept as well as what was sold on and with no need to be greedy.

Archived