Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 25th/26th November 2017

Barry O

meeting around lunchtime may seem a good idea but if you are, like me, involved in the Exhibition in any way (on a layout, demonstrating, on a stand, etc then 1pm isn't a

particularly good time to meet up.

As I asked back in August, does anyone have a better idea for time/place for a meet?  I am one of those who suggested meeting in 'Spoons in the first place but in recent years the uptake has been lamentable - unless, of course, the place has been full of members that I have never met ...

Chris

• RMweb Premium

I know when the Exhibition is close when....

I print out the place names for all of demonstrators, together with the title of their demo and encapsulate them ready to go.

More items now borrowed for use in the 1967 shop, and progress on the 1967 layout to be seen in the Demo area is moving on apace.

Baz

• Like 3

As I asked back in August, does anyone have a better idea for time/place for a meet?  I am one of those who suggested meeting in 'Spoons in the first place but in recent years the uptake has been lamentable - unless, of course, the place has been full of members that I have never met ...

Chris

Chris,

Some of us will be rather busy with LGA!  Sorry, must go, I have a brace of NER perishable vans awaiting my attention.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Doing a bit of Research for the 1967 "Shop" at Warley and I have looked at price comparisons - a couple of examples

Locomotive

1967 Price

RRP 2017

Sir Winston Churchill

81 Shillings and 11 Pence (£4.14)

£179.99

Class 7P6F Locomotive - Britannia

87 Shillings and 2 Pence (£4.36)

£179.99

Both locos in 1967 fitted with smoke. 

£1 in 1967 would now be worth £17.10. So without the added detail etc seen in models in 2017 the Bulleid Pacific would now cost £70.80 and the Britannia £74.56

£1 in 1967 would now be worth £17.10. So without the added detail etc seen in models in 2017 the Bulleid Pacific would now cost £70.80 and the Britannia £74.56

And a Hornby Railroad "Tornado" at Hattons today is £68...

• RMweb Gold

But does it really cover the extra assembly time of finer details or add in global shipping etc that wasn't relevant to this reaching shops then? ;)

It depends.

Locos have gotten more complex, coaches have not.

It takes me 82 seconds to fully assemble a new Railroad Mk1 from all its bits which all snap fits together. (Video below).

I couldn’t do that with a 1960’s Mk1, which it’s 4 piece body and 3 screws.

https://youtu.be/8ZTmbk-GmgY

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And a Hornby Railroad "Tornado" at Hattons today is £68...

Is a discounted price a truel comparison? The RRP is £109.99

How much discounting went on in 1967?

But does it really cover the extra assembly time of finer details or add in global shipping etc that wasn't relevant to this reaching shops then? ;)

Shipping shouldn't really come into the equation. The RRP should account for transport costs.

My thought would be:

Comparing the adjusted prices from 1967 with the more recent offerings , is the current model 2 and a half times (or so) better than the 1967 version?

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is a discounted price a truel comparison? The RRP is £109.99

How much discounting went on 1967

In 1967 you had retail price maintenance which meant normally no discounts were allowed and sales were limited to very short periods. A world away from the situation today!

Hi Guys......

Looking forwards to the impeding show, will be attending on the Saturday all being well and weather permitting a snow free journey.....

Can anyone advise if there is likely to be an exhibitor stand that will have supplies or demonstration for the Mercontrol manual point system as it is my intention to install this on my Cambrian Street layout currently under construction......?

Cheers and best regards......

Bob

• RMweb Gold

So last year, I had a cunning plan to get around the Hall, the problem is last year everyone followed my plan, and I was last to the Bachmann stand.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107810-warley-nec-exhibition-november-26th-and-27th-2016/?p=2511540

so this year, ive prepared a special cunning diversionary plan...

post-20773-0-74148900-1510513360_thumb.jpgpost-20773-0-70972100-1510514608_thumb.jpg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The weather looks like it will be ok for the weekend. The advance forecast from Accuweather looks like this

Excellent - show visitors shouldn't need waterproofs etc wasting too much of the limited space in their rucksacks. That space will, instead, be available for the important stuff.

By the way, I often use Accuweather myself - I find the hourly and "now cast" options particularly useful, especially if I'm trying to decide which coat to take with me - or even if I'll need a coat during the summer. (No - I can't remember that strange "S-word" myself, either - well, I've never found it easy to work out what it was supposed to mean!)

Huw.

In my humble onion, no matter who the forecaster is, two weeks away is far too long for any reliable prediction for this country.

Hi Guys......

With some experience and connections within the professional weather forecasting world,,,, remember that the majority of the 'free' forecasting apps available....are just generated from computer raw model data probably the GFS, with no input from a forecaster, these model runs fluctuates greatly daily at extended ranges...that's why they are free.....!

But they are good fun....the GFS especially gets people excited when is throws a 'wobbly cold' run of the model....so beware the App...!

Cheers and kindest regards...

Bob

Edited by BobM

I also received my copy of the show magazine the other day.

Very nice, but if I may make two adverse comments....?

Regarding the pull out floor plan - the font used to annotate the stands on the chart is awful.

Some are easily readable, but others are hard if not impossible to work out.

It's even worst on the online version, where it doesn't scale very well at all.

No simple decode list.

Decoding who is on what stand from the diagram has to be ascertained from the magazine guide itself, which covers some 43 pages or so.

The list on the back of the pull out floor plan, is only useful in finding a particular exhibitor from their name.

Apart from that minor moan, I have a question.

I missed the last two Warley exhibitions.

Is this the first time the Bachmann sales stand has been positioned separately, on the opposite side of the hall from their main stand?