Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 25th/26th November 2017

Barry O

Hi Mr  Oak

A couple of suggestions that people might wish to consider.

1, a clean coat.

2, use the cloak room.

3. fold it up neatly and place it in the bottom of the back pack.

Or,

1, Take a layout and invite twice as many operators as necessary (or go along to help a friend operate-with the best part of 100 layouts there they must have invited every single one in the UK and Western Europe at least twice).

2, book a space an extra 914mm deeper than usual.

3, leave bags and coats behind layout in the extra space provided.

• RMweb Premium

Or,

1, Take a layout and invite twice as many operators as necessary (or go along to help a friend operate-with the best part of 100 layouts there they must have invited every single one in the UK and Western Europe at least twice).

Eh?

• RMweb Gold

Query triggered by the stand depth remark above. Why is it assumed 5ft should be the depth for trade stands at shows? Not a whinge, a genuine query. Is it based on any standard for commercial market stalls or just something that has evolved over time?

Only ask as I'm planning our SLS stand layout at moment and juggling things to fit the space.

Query triggered by the stand depth remark above. Why is it assumed 5ft should be the depth for trade stands at shows? Not a whinge, a genuine query. Is it based on any standard for commercial market stalls or just something that has evolved over time?

Only ask as I'm planning our SLS stand layout at moment and juggling things to fit the space.

At Warley NEC I'm pretty sure any trade or society exhibitor can request any size of stand but as they are charged per square metre more depth costs more money. 5ft is about the minimum realistic depth for a stand.

There are always around 50 society stands representing both modelling and preservation societies at the Warley Exhibition. A basic 6ft by 5ft stand is provided for societies at what I understand is a nominal amount compared to the actual cost of the floor space. If more space is required then the society has to request it at the initial booking and pay more. 

Edited by Chris M

• RMweb Premium

Well Leighton Buzzard has been set up, checked over, had a full day of repairs, cleaning and general fettling, plus a several hour running session. The old layout is, as I write, in fine fettle and working well. Just a clean and service on the locos and a second operating come training session and we will befall set to go.

Of course, moving the layout will cause wires to fall off, soldered joints to break, scenery to crumble etc. but that is all part of the fun of exhibiting something so old.

This version of the layout was built around 50 years ago but some of the buildings, locos and rolling stock are now 70 years old. Yet, as friend recently put it, the layout has a character, design and operational interest still way superior to many a more modern layout. I just hope we can do it justice with the way we run it at the show.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Well Leighton Buzzard has been set up, checked over, had a full day of repairs, cleaning and general fettling, plus a several hour running session. The old layout is, as I write, in fine fettle and working well. Just a clean and service on the locos and a second operating come training session and we will befall set to go.

Of course, moving the layout will cause wires to fall off, soldered joints to break, scenery to crumble etc. but that is all part of the fun of exhibiting something so old.

This version of the layout was built around 50 years ago but some of the buildings, locos and rolling stock are now 70 years old. Yet, as friend recently put it, the layout has a character, design and operational interest still way superior to many a more modern layout. I just hope we can do it justice with the way we run it at the show.

Operators can also suffer such challenges. Hope the old dear performs well for you; well done chaps.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

At Warley NEC I'm pretty sure any trade or society exhibitor can request any size of stand but as they are charged per square metre more depth costs more money. 5ft is about the minimum realistic depth for a stand.

There are always around 50 society stands representing both modelling and preservation societies at the Warley Exhibition. A basic 6ft by 5ft stand is provided for societies at what I understand is a nominal amount compared to the actual cost of the floor space. If more space is required then the society has to request it at the initial booking and pay more. 

I know about buying in extra, we have a 12 x 5 stand space, and have had the extra 6ft for quite a while now. What I was querying is why did the 5ft depth arise in the first place as it isn't just Warley that uses 5ft as the basic depth.

As a rider, in case no one else says it, a very big thank you to the Warley Club for the first 6ft too.

• RMweb Premium

I know about buying in extra, we have a 12 x 5 stand space, and have had the extra 6ft for quite a while now. What I was querying is why did the 5ft depth arise in the first place as it isn't just Warley that uses 5ft as the basic depth.

As a rider, in case no one else says it, a very big thank you to the Warley Club for the first 6ft too.

Its a table width plus the same space as a table to stand behind the table....hence two bits of 6' by 2'6" .. of course some table are still this size, others are now metric...

(Cookie used this at York Show for many a year...)

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Will be there all weekend helping out on the CMC stand

However the key news is ... SWMBO is baking millionaires shortbread ! Yippee

Phil

Hi Phil

I take it you will be visiting Dagworth and myself on the DEMU stand, we might not be millionaires but we like shortbread. :sungum:

• Like 1

For someone with an avatar like yours Chris - definitely!

Phil

Not that I'll be able to be there this year Phil, but what about mine?

In the meantime I'll leave it to you to decide who gets my piece at this year's event. . .

• RMweb Gold

Its a table width plus the same space as a table to stand behind the table....hence two bits of 6' by 2'6" .. of course some table are still this size, others are now metric...

(Cookie used this at York Show for many a year...)

Baz

Thanks Baz.

Ah, yes that does make sense for stands using trestle tables. Problem for me is my tables are modules of 4 x 2 plywood tops and the display panels come in 4ft or 3ft widths plus the 3" each end for support poles! I think next year I will consider taking a 14ft frontage (not 12ft) and go with the tables set as a 6 x 4 L's and centre access.

So we can all blame Cookie for inventing a standard, I guess way back based on Acomb's trestle table size!  I guess he set the 5ft in his younger/slimmer years, and yes we all still miss Mike. 

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil

I take it you will be visiting Dagworth and myself on the DEMU stand, we might not be millionaires but we like shortbread. :sungum:

No doubt Clive!!! When my CMC duties allow me a shuftie round the show....

See you there

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Or,

Very rare to get a layout back more than once.

1 Limit on the number of operators unless agreed by the Exhibtion manager

2 Some people do have some extra space but generally to fit everything in you get the space requested

3 Nothing to stop you doing that but don't obstruct others in the same area

One layout set up in the wrong place last year which resulted in a narrow gangway for visitors in front of their layout. The marks on the floor are where the front of the layout is meant to be. It was too late to shift it when this was spotted.

Baz

Hi Mr  Oak

A couple of suggestions that people might wish to consider.

1, a clean coat.

2, use the cloak room.

3. fold it up neatly and place it in the bottom of the back pack.

4. screw it up and bung it in the bottom of the rucksack as I normally do.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Revolution Trains will be on stand B-029 at the Warley show this year - our third! We are right next to our Canadian pals Rapido.

post-420-0-27442000-1511300801_thumb.png

Please come and say hello if you're interested in updates on any of our models. We aren't announcing anything new at this show, but will have some significant progress to display on some of our current projects.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Or,

1- that seems to happen with certain layouts at any show, one I know of complained that they never got invites, they asked for 12 operators when 6 was plenty and the layout runs better when they aren't all getting in each other's way and chatting because there's nothing to do ;) All down to one person and deciding they must include everyone who built it!

2- Warley have always given us far more room than we asked for and it's made quite a nice social space with the layouts behind you.

3- as a result of 2 why not get those backpacks out of the aisles? ;)

• Like 1