NEW DJM OO gauge HUO + N gauge 24.5t Hopper wagon (Crowdfunded)

DJM Dave

They didn't all get TOPS numbers/markings, as seen in the photo below taken in April 1985. The wagon which is the main feature hardly has any markings on it, including a number, and the one just creeping into picture on the right has only a number, on a very rusty body.

I'd have thought that is exception rather than the rule and that in a rake of the wagons in the TOPs period the majority wouldn't be like that.

I'd suggest that Dave seriously considers producing them in two styles of decoration to suit both eras otherwise we'll just have a ping pong debate of why can't one side add decals to be countered with why can't the other remove them

G

I'd have thought that is exception rather than the rule and that in a rake of the wagons in the TOPs period the majority wouldn't be like that.

I'd suggest that Dave seriously considers producing them in two styles of decoration to suit both eras otherwise we'll just have a ping pong debate of why can't one side add decals to be countered with why can't the other remove them

G

But usually the HUO was only an addition to the earlier decoration, usually neatly but sometimes very roughly done. Only a few lived long enough to get a good General repair with full finish with the box style of finish. And TOPS is only introduced some years after the end of steam on BR. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brhopperhuo

Paul

And TOPS is only introduced some years after the end of steam on BR.

But, of course, there are modellers not interested in steam who would prefer the wagons decorated (and perhaps appropriately weathered) suitable for the later period of their lives. And perhaps with a mix of neatly and roughly applied HOU TOPS branding.

Although there are some who would have no problem adding decals there seem to be many who want their RTR complete, without requiring to have to adulterer/finish them, just as there are some steamy era collectors who have said they would not be willing or are unable to remove any TOPs lettering and numbering.

G

Edited by grahame

But, of course, there are modellers not interested in steam who would prefer the wagons decorated (and perhaps appropriately weathered) suitable for the later period of their lives. And perhaps with a mix of neatly and roughly applied HOU TOPS branding.

Although there are some who would have no problem adding decals there seem to be many who want their RTR complete, without requiring to have to adulterer/finish them, just as there are some steamy era collectors who have said they would not be willing or are unable to remove any TOPs lettering and numbering.

G

No - modellers will happily renumber wagons, etc.; if the wagons were only available with TOPS markings, modellers would set to and reletter them.

The bottom line is that TOPS operators can use pre-TOPS wagons without relettering if they are not modellers; pre-TOPS operators cannot use TOPS wagons if they are not modellers.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

No - modellers will happily renumber wagons, etc.; if the wagons were only available with TOPS markings, modellers would set to and reletter them.

Unfortunately you are wrong. 'Modellers' might, but not all N gauge enthusiasts are modellers who will, or can, renumber and reletter models. So it would be better if both types were produced.

G.

Unfortunately you are wrong. 'Modellers' might, but not all N gauge enthusiasts are modellers who will, or can, renumber and reletter models. So it would be better if both types were produced.

G.

No - I was intentionally quite specific - "modellers will happily renumber wagons, etc.; if the wagons were only available with TOPS markings, modellers would set to and reletter them".

I referred to non-modellers as operators and went on to say "TOPS operators can use pre-TOPS wagons without relettering if they are not modellers; pre-TOPS operators cannot use TOPS wagons if they are not modellers.

The essential point remains that pre-TOPS lettering was seen in the TOPS era; TOPS lettering was not seen in the pre-TOPS era.

If both types can be produced - fine; but if it has to be one or the other because of minimum order considerations, they should be pre-TOPS.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

No - I was intentionally quite specific - "modellers will happily renumber wagons, etc.; if the wagons were only available with TOPS markings, modellers would set to and reletter them".

I referred to non-modellers as operators and went on to say "TOPS operators can use pre-TOPS wagons without relettering if they are not modellers; pre-TOPS operators cannot use TOPS wagons if they are not modellers.

The essential point remains that pre-TOPS lettering was seen in the TOPS era; TOPS lettering was not seen in the pre-TOPS era.

If both types can be produced - fine; but if it has to be one or the other because of minimum order considerations, they should be pre-TOPS.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hmmm, here we go again - if somebody can't, for what ever reason, do something they are not a modeller. Sorry but that is offensive.

I have a limited amount of time and difficulty with fine movement in my fingers - renumbering wagons can be a pain, physically and metaphorically. But now I know, the building of kits, modification of RTR, layout building and scenery that I do (very slowly) is not modelling...

Roy

Regards,

John Isherwood.

That is the most condersending narrow minded post I have seen in a long time. I model the whole railway, not just individual vehicles - if, due to disbility, I have difficulty in finishing off models to the quality I want and would rather buy RTR this does not exclude me from being a railway modeller.

The choice is simple - if it has to be one or the other its the one which sells more. If its not the version I want then I can afford the ATP-P instead. That does not mean I want it to fail but if it can break even without me there is a chance that there may be other batches, there is unlikely to be another chance for ATP-P.     

Edited by Bomag

Hi everyone,

A cold day but blue skies allowed me to get the Halfords car primer out today and prime the HUO's in N gauge , and crack open the packaging on my new photo booth which will allow me to take better photographs of my models etc.

So here are the pics, amazing how the 3D process can easily be seen once primed rather than the reflective seemingly smooth cream plastic they came in.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-31303300-1511889118_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-66473600-1511889129_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Big news today, as the totals are in for another week.

OO still leads but N gauge is now up to 3/4 of the total of OO models

If anyone is hedging due to the non tops, i will get Tops versions added this week.

cheers

Dave

• Like 5

I was intentionally quite specific - "modellers will happily renumber wagons, etc.; if the wagons were only available with TOPS markings, modellers would set to and reletter them".

I referred to non-modellers as operators

What condescending tosh. Just because someone is unable or unwilling to re-number a wagon it doesn't mean they are a 'non-modeller'. You have no idea of what other modelling activity that such people may or will be undertaking on thier model railways.

G

• 2 weeks later...

Am I right in thinking the difference between pre and post TOPS is a panel on the side and the wagon number? (excuse my ignorance.)

If so, even though I'd be looking for pre-tops and that gets my vote, if it was the difference between getting the wagons made or not, I'd be okay with post TOPS and modifying the markings myself, along with an un-healthy dose of weathering and filth.

Thank you, the voice of reason.

I model post TOPs (well I have got boxes of the stuff at least) but given the choice of these wagons pre TOPs or no wagons at all I would choose pre TOPs and either renumber them or assume they were slow being renumbered (which wouldnt be far from the truth), anyway, I have ordered all the sets in OO, the 'proper' scale!  :yes:

Anybody wanting an excuse to buy one of these wagons, but models later than the mid 80's, take heart. They lasted in internal use at Onllwyn, up until 1997, and probably later, as seen in the back end of this video on U-Tube.

Paul J.

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

OO and N gauge HUO update

Hi everyone, just a quick update to let you all know where we are regarding the Crowdfunding for both N and OO gauge HUO wagons.

Currently the crowdfunding is a little over 50% for the OO versions and 32% for the N gauge versions.

I will be sending out press releases to the model railway press as soon as i finish this missive, to drum up more support, and i have no doubt we will get these across the line, it just may take a little longer, that's all.

I am trying to add the HUO tops codes versions to the list and hope to have them up and running to order this week via my web site and will, of course put a notice here to let you know it's live.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2