Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Ok, post number 2...

I decided to start on the hillside above the valley. The angle of the slope is about 25 degrees, though I can take a jigsaw and reduce it a little, if necessary...

post-13778-0-96990900-1359311697_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-48390500-1359311710_thumb.jpg

I even got "arty" ... looking from behind the viaduct!

post-13778-0-30413800-1359311722_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 3

Blimey!!!

That shot through the arch shows how the hill looks so much better than the other ones, it looks as though you are standing there and the height and slope look pretty good to me and I've been up and down a few like that.

Well done Jeff, looking very very good.

Jim (impressed Lune)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Post number 3....

The first photo shows the area of hillside where my tunnel portal will be fitted. You can see the space available of the embankment...

post-13778-0-13078400-1359312027_thumb.jpg

I anticipated the hillside would be higher, but keeping the angle below 30 degrees means it really doesn't sit over the fiddle yard - so plenty of light there still...

post-13778-0-56494700-1359312095_thumb.jpg

Please remember that the formers are only outlines. There will be a HUGE variety of angle/slope etc when I fit the plaster bandage/filler on the top.

I finished the last bit of this at 5.50pm. hope it was worth waiting for!!

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Well Jeff, what can I say?

I think that the cutting back of the fiddleyard side has mad a HUGE difference to the valley shape, it has a much more 'beliveable' shape (not that I'm saying the original wasn't beliveable, just it was a lot more 'plonk a valley here').

As for the start of 'Lunefell' I'm getting the picture that it is going to be huge too. Sadly again I'm struggling getting a grip on dimensions!

Oh, can I suggest something for the beck please? Well I will anyway! Could you make the course of it wiggle back and forth across the valley floor more (like in that photo pages ago)? I think that will again make it more natural.

OK, so it seems I have quite a bit to say!

Andy g

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Can I add a few things...

I've run out of usable wood. There are still several more hill sections to build, but I can knock one together in about 3 hours, so it's not too bad.

And I appreciate the comments that have already been posted. Thanks.

Btw - to Peter and Jason, in particular. You were RIGHT about the embankment. I really didn't think I could hack the board the way I have. Thanks for "coercing" me. 

Jeff

EDIT: Meant to add... NONE of the formers is fixed in place yet, so I've got access and flexibility to change things around.

Edited by Physicsman

'I finished the last bit of this at 5.50pm. hope it was worth waiting for!!'

Jeff

Yes it was Jeff, that's a good weekends work done there and you should be proud of what you have achieved.

Jim (seriously impressed Lune)

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

I get the feeling that your favorite photography location on the whole railway will be from in that tiny hole against the wall looking back at the viaduct and Lunefell beyond.

I think this is going to be a cracker!

I can't wait to see you put the bandages on, so we can get even more of a feel for it.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Well Jeff, what can I say?

I think that the cutting back of the fiddleyard side has mad a HUGE difference to the valley shape, it has a much more 'beliveable' shape (not that I'm saying the original wasn't beliveable, just it was a lot more 'plonk a valley here').

As for the start of 'Lunefell' I'm getting the picture that it is going to be huge too. Sadly again I'm struggling getting a grip on dimensions!

Oh, can I suggest something for the beck please? Well I will anyway! Could you make the course of it wiggle back and forth across the valley floor more (like in that photo pages ago)? I think that will again make it more natural.

OK, so it seems I have quite a bit to say!

Andy g

That's my intention, Andy - having seen those lovely photos. Jason's persuaded me to build a rather nice stone bridge over the stream - see the 3rd and 4th photos, here: http://www.visitcumbria.com/carlset/dent-head-viaduct.htm

And please keep making suggestions!

Jeff

• Like 1

What can I say?

You were right Jeff, I can't see anything different!! lol

Even a blind man on a galloping horse passing a computer could see that, SIMPLY STUNNING.

You amaze me at the speed you get things done.

Keep up the excellent work and keep the pics coming.

Chip (very impressed tired lune)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wow Jeff, I feel somewhat in awe of you now! Its the first time I've seen the packhorse bridge (the work computer blocks all sorts of photo links) and I'm wondering how I would make a start on that bridge (mind you I'd want to do it the hard way, make staging, and then make lots of little blocks of stone and build the arch properly! Oh don't tell me that was the way you were going to do it?? ;-}  )

As a complete novice to landscaping I have to admit that even at this stage you are producing results that I can only dream of, well done!

Andy

(As has been said above, what speed you work at, I'm struggling to keep up just reading about it!)

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

I get the feeling that your favorite photography location on the whole railway will be from in that tiny hole against the wall looking back at the viaduct and Lunefell beyond.

I think this is going to be a cracker!

I can't wait to see you put the bandages on, so we can get even more of a feel for it.

Andy

Andy, Scott's photo in post 3410 and Michael's link to Arten Gill - click here - http://www.visitcumbria.com/carlset/arten-gill-viaduct.htm - provide the prototype for the look I'm now after.

I'll be stocking up on plaster bandage and as soon as I can I'll start shaping the hillside proper!

Btw, I'll post that rail down to you tomorrow.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

What can I say?

You were right Jeff, I can't see anything different!! lol

Even a blind man on a galloping horse passing a computer could see that, SIMPLY STUNNING.

You amaze me at the speed you get things done.

Keep up the excellent work and keep the pics coming.

Chip (very impressed tired lune)

There you go, Chip! I hope your quiet lurking has been rewarded. Just remember, this is enjoyable but the fun really starts when the plaster bandage shell and filler come out!

Variations in terrain angle, little tracks, a small rock face or two... This is why I love the scenic bit so much. Hope you'll continue watching.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hope you've had something to eat today Jeff.

Peter - the answer is - not since breakfast. I'd have got this job done sooner if I hadn't spent over 2 hours helping someone with their Physics. But my brother is feeding me later!!

Thanks, again, for suggesting the embankments. Without that, I'd have left things as they were. You triggered an immense discussion which led to all sorts of excellent ideas being put forward.

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

There you go, Chip! I hope your quiet lurking has been rewarded. Just remember, this is enjoyable but the fun really starts when the plaster bandage shell and filler come out!

Variations in terrain angle, little tracks, a small rock face or two... This is why I love the scenic bit so much. Hope you'll continue watching.

Jeff

Thats the bit that would (and does) scare me. How do you get the mixture of features correct without it looking false? I'm just not brave enough.

Enjoy your meal, you have earn't every mouthful sir.

Andy

(Thanks for the track!)

O-kaayyy! In the time it's taken me to create a new picture, Jeff goes into warp drive and practically creates a whole valley in real time. It must be a quantum thing! Either way, I am seriously impressed and I am looking forward to watching you bring KL to life with your scenic skills. Things have suddenly got very interesting.

Well done that man!

Bill (Gobsmacked Lunester) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thats the bit that would (and does) scare me. How do you get the mixture of features correct without it looking false? I'm just not brave enough.

Enjoy your meal, you have earn't every mouthful sir.

Andy

(Thanks for the track!)

On my last layout I did the landscape "intuitively", based on what I remembered seeing when I've been out walking. This time I've tons of photographic material to use - maybe too much. But if I can recreate the stream in those photos I will be very chuffed!

Andy P has suggested a cutting at the right end of the viaduct above the embankment. I like the idea - and if you look at the 4th and 5th photos in Michael's link: http://www.visitcumbria.com/carlset/arten-gill-viaduct.htm you'll see what he means...

I shall endeavour to enjoy my pork chops!

Btw, what's your surname - I already have your addy and first name, of course!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Beware of this potential problem with plaster bandage over formers Jeff - the ribs can show through (sometimes usefully of course) and you will probably find thin card strips between the formers - as at top right - very helpful i setting the shape of the basic land form.  This is plaster bandage from Hobbycraft (local branch no longer sells it grr, it was cheaper than the Woodland Scenics stuff which might be in there as well.  The surface 'finish' is kitchen towel stippled with a brush on the plaster bandage while it is still wet.  In mods for this year's SWAG module event the top part of this at the back is being altered - a large woodsaw seems to be an ideal 'weapon' for cutting through foamboard and plaster in situ.

post-6859-0-37297900-1359315281_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

It does look so much better the way you have opened it out.  It gives it a much more of a feel of distance between the two sides.  I know you have made it larger but that is not what I mean.  It makes it feel more like a large valley than a narrow gorge, and on the S&C you have lots of space.

Sheep.  I am sure on one of the photos there were white specs on the moor, not sure if they were sheep or printing defects.  However, with the shallower sides you could have a proper field or two.  This would give a different colour to the landscape as well. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, covering formers can be a pain - even with a tight web of masking tape across the structure.

Below is a photo showing a similar problem with my old layout, during construction.

post-13778-0-17768700-1359316255_thumb.jpg

Padding helped - as did copious amounts of (very heavy!) filler...

post-13778-0-97937000-1359316309_thumb.jpg

I've just ordered several rolls of the bandage. I've always used Woodland Scenics rolls - I'm going to need a lot!

Good to hear from you.

Jeff

• Like 1