Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

A couple of pics to show that a (little) bit more walling has been done and the land filled up to the fascia. Once this plaster has dried it will be painted brown and given its "grass" covering. This will probably be at the start of next week.

post-13778-0-43457100-1378246065_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-85606100-1378246070_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 9

I've ordered a second Midland (Bachmann) 4F as it's such a good model. However, care will have to be taken with the renumbering as the photos I've checked so far actually show LMS (Hornby) 4Fs on the S&C. I've so far not found an example of the earlier version on the line. Nevermind - a bit of artistic licence may be called for!!

Jeff

I'll bear it in mind when looking at pics of 0-6-0s on the S&C and thereabouts; probably end up with a Prussian blue one!

My ex-WD 2-8-0 is 90305 36A Doncaster so I'll have to look at re-numbering that too..  but of course many workhorses were borrowed by foreign sheds from time to time.

I have every intention of stealing some of the KL fells photos for background, too.  Artistic licence permits it?

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Lovely picture Rob, my favourite so far.

With 4F's, renumbering can be a minefield as there were quite a few class variations, different tender types, etc. I have just bought the Comet Fowler tender kit and the instructions note that there were six variations of those alone! You then need to ensure that you pick a relevant Midland built one for the Bachmann model and LMS built for the Hornby.

The late crest 4F as it comes is a Bristol shedded one so may have sneaked onto the S&D but would have been very unlikely to have been seen on the S&C. Personally, I pm Tim Easter and ask him, and he always come up trumps (he has the Yeadon's register I think) so Tim, if you see this, that is two numbers suitable for Bath and two for Carlise or Leeds, please (both Bachmann variant) :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Jason, spot on.

It was only a couple of days ago that I realised that the Hornby and Bachmann models were of different versions of the 4F. Clever bit of marketing.

Irrespective, I'm quite happy to have 2 Bachy 4Fs - and maybe a Hornby one might sneak in at some stage! 

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I placed my old Airfix one next to the current Bachmann one. Now obviously the Airfix one is a 30-odd year old moulding and is sat on a Comet chassis (which I still need to finish) but given it's age they didn't do that bad really. The main differences you can see are the splashers, over-thick handrails, crispness of moulding lines, etc., but it is possible that some of those have been updated on the Hornby model (splashers are an issue on it though). I'll happily use the Airfix one on Bacup when I get the chassis finished and the tender kit built up (I have junked the Airfix tender as it was beyond redemption). I may have made a whoopsie when renumbering my old one; it was the last 4F shedded at Workington but I never knew about such things as build differences, etc., back then ;)

4Fsandafriend001_zps09fc159d.jpg

Of course, all my attention is currently going on this. Screw the Midland, go Lanky :D

Class27009_zps9c05e1af.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Splendid! The Airfix one doesn't look too bad at all and I've heard it's a very smooth runner.

I like the cobbled area in the yard. I'll be doing something similar when I get round to building the goods area in my (currently non-existent) yard.

Just off to do a bit more walling...  :D

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I've gone into a bit more detail on the cobbled area on my thread but basically, I made sure that the level of the cobbles was just below the rail height (mounting board and other bits of card - in fact the Howard Scenics cobbles that I decided to cover). The cobbles I ended up using are Redutex textured sheets, painted and weathered to look a bit more 'Pennines'. For the sleepers that butt up to the rails, I first chamfered and glued down various thicknesses of Plastikard (chamfered so that they do not rise up on the chairs), 40 thou on the outside of the rails and 2 layers (lower 20 thou and upper 30 thou) between them, the lower strip being cut narrower than the chairs and the top slightly wider and chamfered at the edges again. The sleepers themselves are trimmed and thinned down C&L ones, glued on top of the Plastikard, ensuring that there is enough clearance to allow for wagons, etc., to be able to run freely (old, coarse wheels don't run through but they will be junked in time). The Redutex sheets stick quite happily to Plastikard for the section between the rails.

A long way down the line I suppose but the above is worth bookmarking if you plan to do the same.

• RMweb Premium

As promised, the sheepfold.

The dimensions are 8cm x 6cm, so 20' x 15' in real life. Broadly based on the fold I walked past near Patterdale, last Saturday...

post-13778-0-05579900-1378301768_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-05004700-1378301718_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-89881300-1378301723_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-43875200-1378301734_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-29831700-1378301740_thumb.jpg

The fold was built onto a 4mm MDF base. This will be fixed onto the fell and suitably blended-in!

Jeff

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

That looks bob-on Jeff.

You know, I was thinking before that what you have done is quite different to what your average modeller would do, in that you have made the ultimate scenic fiddle Yard in creating the Fell, which not only hides it completely but is also not really a backdrop to the railway. Sure, it is a scenic break at each end but it then continues the full length of the fiddle yard as a stand-alone feature.

Fantastic stuff :)

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Jason. As always, you get one job done then other (non-railway) things get in the way - so nothing further achieved today. Think I'll go and do a bit of wall-building now.

As a matter of interest, the Fell and fiddle yard were "designed" at the same time. My only concern was what the fiddle yard would actually encompass, due to possible limitations of fitting the Fell onto the baseboards. Maybe I fluked it because it seems to have worked out well!

Jeff

Lovely picture Rob, my favourite so far.

With 4F's, renumbering can be a minefield as there were quite a few class variations, different tender types, etc. I have just bought the Comet Fowler tender kit and the instructions note that there were six variations of those alone! You then need to ensure that you pick a relevant Midland built one for the Bachmann model and LMS built for the Hornby.

The late crest 4F as it comes is a Bristol shedded one so may have sneaked onto the S&D but would have been very unlikely to have been seen on the S&C. Personally, I pm Tim Easter and ask him, and he always come up trumps (he has the Yeadon's register I think) so Tim, if you see this, that is two numbers suitable for Bath and two for Carlise or Leeds, please (both Bachmann variant) :D

Thanks Jason, the Fowler 4F variations are indeed a minefield. I shall be looking for evidence of Midland versions on the S&C  or perhaps even doing the dastardly deed and converting Bachmann version to left hand drive with photo editing.  Don't tell the teacher! 

I love that brass L&Y model and your paving.

Rob

Evening Jeff, nothing constructive to say so I off again, :O

Before I go, did you count how many stones it took to build the sheep thingy? :no: :no:

I am looking forward to seeing that in place on the hillside,

One other quick observation, it looks like you are putting one wall the length of the hillside, I feel it would look longer if it was broken into three with the walls coming down to the front edge and off the layout, this would then look like three area rather than just one big one.

No doubt some one will say I am wrong and I probably am.

Sheep look bob on Boss. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Bodgy the Black Sheep of the Family :no:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy.

The crappy diagram below attempts to show my intention. I've just started building the "spur" of a wall that ascends from lower down the Fell to meet the cross wall, and there'll be another further along.

Sorry this isn't very clear - give me a week or so and I may have built enough new wall for it to take shape!

post-13778-0-65801100-1378329430_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 4

Hi Andy.

The crappy diagram below attempts to show my intention. I've just started building the "spur" of a wall that ascends from lower down the Fell to meet the cross wall, and there'll be another further along.

Sorry this isn't very clear - give me a week or so and I may have built enough new wall for it to take shape!

attachicon.gif100_4059Paint.jpg

Jeff

No Jeff, SORRY BUT NOT GOOD ENOUGH. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Will have to see it with my own eyes to understand it, :O

GET THE COFFEE ON, I WILL BE THERE AT 09.20 in the morning. :no: :no: :no:

hahaahahahhaha

Bodgit :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

No Jeff, SORRY BUT NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Will have to see it with my own eyes to understand it, :O

GET THE COFFEE ON, I WILL BE THERE AT 09.20 in the morning. :no: :no: :no:

hahaahahahhaha

Bodgit :sungum:

What's taking you so long? Lol!

Actually, I'm probably off to Cumbria tomorrow afternoon so you'll have timed it right!   :no:  :no:

Things will eventually become clearer - to ME as well!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I like the fold Jeff it will look just great with some gr*ss round it.  I think Bodgit feels that the long wall right along the front may not be the most effective. I am not so sure the long wall may be emphasing the length.

Don

• RMweb Premium

I like the fold Jeff it will look just great with some gr*ss round it.  I think Bodgit feels that the long wall right along the front may not be the most effective. I am not so sure the long wall may be emphasing the length.

Don

Don - from my perspective the LONG wall is VERY LONGGGGGGG.........

I was going to break the "top field" in two, as discussed a few pages back, but feel it's better as a whole. However I build it there are pros and cons!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

They look a bit SHINNY to me :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Sheep Dog :no:

They'll need a bit of weathering, Andy. Airbrush or powder!?

Jeff,

The sheepfold looks good, and the sheep seem the right type, not fat Southdowns, although not sure about the black bits, but I'm more used to Welsh sheep.

Chris, I assure you, I used great judgement to select the correct breed.... Err, I placed an order and that's what came out of the packet. Coincidentally, the same type as the ones Jason sent me. Only problem - I've currently only got around 50 sheep. Oh dear!

Jeff