Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

About to brave the bunker - plaster ready to be mixed.

In the meantime, here's the Lunester totals upto and including post 5000:

Andy 401 / Andy (uax6) 255 / Jason 217 / Jonathan 158 / Michael 155 / Duncan 132 / Peter 120 / Mike (Stationmaster) 108 / Larry 97 / Polly 97 / Scott 94 / Jim 82 / Rob 80 / Bill 75 / Mike (Mike61680) 70 / Billy 68 / Chris 59 / James 48 / Gordon 48 / Al 47 / John 43 / Ian 38 / 'Chard 32 / Don 17 / Ray 13 .....

Just a bit of fun, but maybe indicative of Jason's proverbial gobsh**es!!!!!

Well done Baron Bodgit - 16 pages of contributions, all on your very own!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

94, eh? Typical Aussie knock, I guess - just missing the century...

Guess I'd better work a bit harder for the next 5000 posts.

Happy birthday, K/L!

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott.

I'll be very pleased if the highest Aussie score in the Ashes series is 94. Also pleased if Watson, Kawaja et al aren't playing! Lol!!

Comet Panstarrs was observed from the UK for the first time yesterday - only in binoculars. We may get a naked eye view later this week - I'll be keeping an eye out.

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just added another 10kg or so of plaster to the Fell and stream bed. It doesn't go very far! There must be around 80-100kg of plaster on now, with maybe another 50 to go, last Fell section (not yet built) excepting. Not too bad - just like 2 people laying on the subframe.

I was over-optimistic that I'd get across to the embankment on the left side. Ha ha! Eventually. More plastering tomorrow - I'll let today's effort start to dry first.

Time for a bit of wire fiddling (not hat there is much left to do).

Will post a couple of pics of the viaduct end of the Fell shortly.

Jeff

The way our petulant Fauntleroys have been carrying on, we'll be glad to get 94 in an innings, let alone from an individual...

Between them and our swimmers, I am fed up to my back teeth with the sense of entitlement and egotism they have: it's the antithesis of what sportsman appeared to be like when I was growing up.

Hi Scott.

I'll be very pleased if the highest Aussie score in the Ashes series is 94. Also pleased if Watson, Kawaja et al aren't playing! Lol!!

Comet Panstarrs was observed from the UK for the first time yesterday - only in binoculars. We may get a naked eye view later this week - I'll be keeping an eye out.

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, it's amazing....

It is also the antithesis of what us Poms expect of Aussie sports in general - tough, professional, ultimate competitors.

I hope we don't suffer it over here (our footballers have had it for years) as a result of our success in the Olympics and cricket. Look no further than Brit cyclists to see how it should be done (then again, you have Cadel Evans and Richie Porte has just won Paris-Nice).

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Happy Birthday KL and to Lord Sire Lunester a short vid - feel free, Lunesters, to join in with some hearty singing when it gets to it  :shout:  :shout: :shout:

Lune valley is looking good, Jeff

So, Lunester totals:

#98 and 2 to go for my ton :locomotive:

but well done Andy 401 / Andy (uax6) 255 / Jason 217.  I bow to your seniority  :thankyou:

80-100kg of plaster?  And you're still adding the stuff.  Glad we've found foam insulation board and Scultamold...."light as a feather"....but then each section has to be portable.... :senile:

Wimpy Lune

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Jim and Polly.

I DO love creating these hillsides, though I've never taken on a project this big before. Baron Bodgit suggested I'd need about 2000 sheep. A bit too many, but 3-400 might not be too many!!

Of course, with all those sheep I'll have to provide them with some GRASS to feed on. Oh dear!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The bed of the beck is looking good, I can't wait for some colour to be dabbed about, so that we can get a better look at the humps and bumps.

While reading the Birthday posts above (Congrats BTW) and the hiding the join posts too, it dawned on me that scaling may be able to be used to give added (condensed) perspective to the scene. Would working at 4mm at the front, and then say two foot back working to 3mm and then at fve foot from the front working in 2mm work?

With regard to the sheep fetish, you'll have to be very carefull how you place them or they will look wrong. You probably need to keep the flocks together, with some sheltering in the lee of the walls etc...

BTW does anyone know where I can get proper fluffy lint from these days... I can only seem to get tiny boxes of what looks like rag..

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Jim and Polly.

I DO love creating these hillsides, though I've never taken on a project this big before. Baron Bodgit suggested I'd need about 2000 sheep. A bit too many, but 3-400 might not be too many!!

Of course, with all those sheep I'll have to provide them with some GRASS to feed on. Oh dear!

Jeff

Oh dear, indeed, Jeff, you mentioned the GRASS word....oh dear......

Look out :search:- the Bodgit's about.....  :stop:

:mosking:

Pollyfilla #99

Oh dear, indeed, Jeff, you mentioned the GRASS word....oh dear......

Look out :search:- the Bodgit's about.....  :stop:

:mosking:

Pollyfilla #99

I believe we're safe for a while. If we manage to get onto another page, he might not notice :no:

Duncan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I believe we're safe for a while. If we manage to get onto another page, he might not notice :no:

Duncan

Another post to get us there....

YAY

to_trump_smiley.gif  #100

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Another post to get us there....

YAY

to_trump_smiley.gif  #100

Polly

Sorry Polly, it was a typo.... I meant to write "Polly 7" and it came out as 97.... that means your total is actually 10!!!   :O  :O  :O

:no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

Only joking!

Congrats on becoming our 9th centurion!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What sort of plaster are you using Jeff. I have been plastering a few walls at home and bought a mixing paddle ( a small one) which I use in a variable speed electric drill. For layout work an old washing up bowl would be suitable. Of course you may have a professional one and use an old bath (actually they use plastic trugs these days) like a real plasterer not to mention those who do it on stilts. :jester:  :jester: 

Don

• RMweb Premium

What sort of plaster are you using Jeff. I have been plastering a few walls at home and bought a mixing paddle ( a small one) which I use in a variable speed electric drill. For layout work an old washing up bowl would be suitable. Of course you may have a professional one and use an old bath (actually they use plastic trugs these days) like a real plasterer not to mention those who do it on stilts. :jester:  :jester:

Don

I've tried all sorts of plaster over the years and even bulk-bought a large bag of plaster of paris at one stage. I wasn't too impressed with that - whether it was a bit off, I don't know, but it gave a very hard finish.

I buy 5kg boxes of standard plaster filler that incorporates PVA. It mixes well, gives plenty of time for adjustment before setting and gives a smooth finish. It's not the cheapest option, I'm sure, but it works for me so I'll stick with it.

Jeff

I had some building plaster all those years ago when I last built hills and it set so well it never moved when I glued a hairy carpet to it and ripped it off later, the carpet that is.

I see I'm slipping down the league at 84 now, I need to up my game and post a lot of cra constructive advice :mosking:

Jim

• Like 1

Jeff;

As you terraform with more plaster, just keep in the back of your mind what you want the beck to look like.

The more water it holds, the less meandering - and IMHO, the less character it would have. 

I'll go out on a limb and suggest the two extremes of this a represented in Blue and Red on this mark up:

post-8688-0-64245400-1363208218.jpg

And these translate in real life to scenes ranging from this:

SL05_CoulandBeck.jpg

to this:

little-dale-beck.JPG

Me? I like this look the best...

7748913354_5a410fb270_z.jpg

...shallow and winding. But your tastes are your own.  I'm just giving you a poke to help you plan, so you get what you want!

Cheers

Scott

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Yes Jim, you should take a leaf out of other people's books and chuck in a few batches of cra good practical advice. That would boost you to the century mark, pronto.

I'm doing a bit more studying of viaduct/valley combinations. The more I look at them, the more I admire the skill of the people that built them. Amazing structures in the middle of nowhere.

Btw, your CDs are packaged up, ready for posting. I've included a short note - your feedback will be very interesting after you've listened to them!

Jeff

It's all a question of scale. I want to keep the valley floor as uncluttered and rural as possible.

Looking at the hundreds of images on Google (search Settle and Carlisle viaducts), there doesn't seem to be much apart from streams, walling, a few trees, grass, scrub and pathways. a small shelter - for sheep - on one side of the valley incline would be good.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Just a photo I took of some old delapidated farm buildings just above Dent station, loads of 'KEEP OUT' signs so this was all I got, thought it may help with your plight!

Cheers

Mike

post-5296-0-94817800-1363208953_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Superb post, Scott.

At the moment, the base of plaster is a base and anything is possible. I like your last photo - just like the one you posted a while back:

post-13778-0-39729600-1363208890.jpg

The original intent was for a mini-river - virtually no meander. That was replaced when I saw your photo. So it's shallow with meander somewhere between your red and blue, I'd say!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Of course do you think I could find that one just now?

(well, it is 5:00am here. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

Superb post, Scott.

At the moment, the base of plaster is a base and anything is possible. I like your last photo - just like the one you posted a while back:

attachicon.gif1424609826_4a58d0199b_z.jpg

The original intent was for a mini-river - virtually no meander. That was replaced when I saw your photo. So it's shallow with meander somewhere between your red and blue, I'd say!

Jeff