Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter,

The temperature in Stockton is about 17C, so Oz in winter is almost as warm as it is here in summer!

I've been measuring the bunker walls for the backscene boards this morning. A simple set of softwood batons with 3mm ply or mdf board sat on top. I'd prefer ply, but it's a lot more expensive than mdf. My only "problems" vare the corners, where I've left access areas. I was hoping to bend the backscene around those, but it will create too much of an obstruction. So I think I'll have to go with removable "slot-in" bits. As for the scene itself...

As with all great layouts, will Llanbourne ever be finished?? Lol.

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

Andrew P said :

I just like to get the track laid and something running within 24 hours, hahahahahahahah may stick to Peco!!!!!

I'm finding the same Andrew. The cunning dastardly Peco make their track so easy, I am sure a lot of modellers opt or it for that very reason. With Marcway, do I really want to start cutting point rails, wiring switch blades to adjacent stock rails, wiring frogs to DPDT switches and fitting soleniods or Tortoises.... This always seems the hardest part of building a layout...... Fighting the temptations of Peco... Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Not the actual fitting, but the bleeding cost of the enterprise. I think I'll get the point motors for the scenic section only, and operate the fiddle yard manually. I paid my mortgage off some time back and don't want to take out another!

Jeff, it's worth watching eBay and checking with some of the UK/US suppliers, if you decide to buy in quantity the price can be reduced quite a lot.

If you go down the manual route, make sure you leave the points capable of being motorised, in case you change your mind in the future.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, it's worth watching eBay and checking with some of the UK/US suppliers, if you decide to buy in quantity the price can be reduced quite a lot.

If you go down the manual route, make sure you leave the points capable of being motorised, in case you change your mind in the future.

Beast, thanks for that - seems an odd way to address you!!

The first batch of point motors will be ordered start of September. all to do with cash flows!!

Jeff

Regarding leaving the points capable of being motorised, I bought a handy drill from Alton Models that drills into the baseboard and then slots as well to allow for switching pin movement.

That's the sort of game-changing contribution that makes you stop and reevaluate the value of having motorised S&C. I've never made the leap, but as I'm contemplating further track rationalization and going OO-FS at the same time, this might be just what the Doctor ordered...

Cheers, Larry!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Andrew P said :

I'm finding the same Andrew. The cunning dastardly Peco make their track so easy, I am sure a lot of modellers opt or it for that very reason. With Marcway, do I really want to start cutting point rails, wiring switch blades to adjacent stock rails, wiring frogs to DPDT switches and fitting soleniods or Tortoises.... This always seems the hardest part of building a layout...... Fighting the temptations of Peco...

Regarding leaving the points capable of being motorised, I bought a handy drill from Alton Models that drills into the baseboard and then slots as well to allow for switching pin movement.

Cheers Larry. I'm not excited at the prospect of all the fiddling around, but it's just a matter of being patient and methodical. I think the end benefit will be worth it. And I'm not in a hurry. I've just been in the bunker to sand down the viaduct piers. I suddenly thought to myself , "why are you rushing all of this - who cares if it takes a month to build a viaduct (not 4 days!!)". So I've a bit of a learning curve here, but I keep telling myself it's FUN!!

Must admit, though, the prospect of a steam-propelled freight heading on the down line over the viaduct gets the juices flowing!!!!

Best wishes,

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's the sort of game-changing contribution that makes you stop and reevaluate the value of having motorised S&C. I've never made the leap, but as I'm contemplating further track rationalization and going OO-FS at the same time, this might be just what the Doctor ordered...

Cheers, Larry!

'CHARD, I agree. And I hope the "Doctor" in question wasn't a certain Doctor Fell. Lol. Please don't shout at me!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Beast, thanks for that - seems an odd way to address you!!

The first batch of point motors will be ordered start of September. all to do with cash flows!!

Jeff

Call me Dave / DAS / beast, I respond to most things, polite or otherwise !

Understand the cash flow problems, my modelling is on hold for the same reason.

PS - You can also buy side cutting drill bits from your favourite hardware shops.

• Like 1

LOL! No, I'm perversely galvanised into action by the Corporate interventionist, Dr Richard Voldemort.

EDIT: I think I inadvertantly acquired some routing tools in a set of drill bits and sundries from somewhere. Need to check.

Edited by 'CHARD

Hi Peter,

The temperature in Stockton is about 17C, so Oz in winter is almost as warm as it is here in summer!

I've been measuring the bunker walls for the backscene boards this morning. A simple set of softwood batons with 3mm ply or mdf board sat on top. I'd prefer ply, but it's a lot more expensive than mdf. My only "problems" vare the corners, where I've left access areas. I was hoping to bend the backscene around those, but it will create too much of an obstruction. So I think I'll have to go with removable "slot-in" bits. As for the scene itself...

As with all great layouts, will Llanbourne ever be finished?? Lol.

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Lol Hopfully the weather is ok when I come over Sept Oct. My backscens are MDF as are the last two boards on the extension, as you say way cheaper.

Llanbourne will probably never be 1000% finished, but finished enough so that I can start an exhibition layout.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Call me Dave / DAS / beast, I respond to most things, polite or otherwise !

Understand the cash flow problems, my modelling is on hold for the same reason.

PS - You can also buy side cutting drill bits from your favourite hardware shops.

Ah, I understand now. Must admit, I thought the DAS at the foot of your post was of the modelling clay variety!! Oops, seem to be insulting everybody this morning!

Yes, the credit card is bulging this month: new laptop, a "small" amount of railway gear and a visit to Specsavers, so I can see what the hell I'm supposed to be doing!

Nevermind, as I said to Coach, if it takes time - it takes time!

Cheers!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

LOL! No, I'm perversely galvanised into action by the Corporate interventionist, Dr Richard Voldemort.

I'm sure he had a starring role in the Olympic opening ceremony? Friend or relative of yours? If the latter, you should take up basketball as he was about 15 feet tall!

Jeff :O

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Lol Hopfully the weather is ok when I come over Sept Oct. My backscens are MDF as are the last two boards on the extension, as you say way cheaper.

Llanbourne will probably never be 1000% finished, but finished enough so that I can start an exhibition layout.

Cheers Peter.

Both yourself and Rick seem to come back to the UK a fair bit. do you have a special deal with Qantas, or is it a discount if you sleep with the luggage? Now I've retired I plan to go out to New Zealand for a couple of months - probably in 2014. Must admit I worry about the cost.

It's also impressive the way you guys have your DURM and other organisations, modelling British outline. What do the locals think about it - is Australian Railways of any interest?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Like the viaduct bases. What are you lining them with. I may have read this previously, but have misplaced it in the brain folder.

I have to start building my mainline viaduct soon and have a branchline viaduct to do eventually, which may have a curve, depending on position of mainline viaduct.

Regarding Aussie stuff, there is a lot about now and very good quality, which has eaten into the british modelling. At many exhibitions here it is very hard to see a british layout. At my local club, the majority model Australian. Though the models generally cost double because of the smaller market.

There are a few of us on here that belong to the British Rly Modellers of Australia and generally they have a meeting once a month. I live at 2 hours away from Melbourne and cannot really make many meetings. I have a meeting here at my place for late September, but distance will deter some.

Peter, If you have room for a bag carrier to the UK, could I put my hand up!!

Mark

Both yourself and Rick seem to come back to the UK a fair bit. do you have a special deal with Qantas, or is it a discount if you sleep with the luggage? Now I've retired I plan to go out to New Zealand for a couple of months - probably in 2014. Must admit I worry about the cost.

It's also impressive the way you guys have your DURM and other organisations, modelling British outline. What do the locals think about it - is Australian Railways of any interest?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I wish I could afford to come back more often, I was over a few years back on my own for my brothers 40th last time I was over with my family was 2003. The plan this time is to travel around a bit as it will probably be the last chance to do the trip with my daughter in tow for a while as school will get more intence in the next few years. Hopefully I will get some time to see afew trains.

Oh and we don't fly Qantas it's not the airline it used to be. We went to NZ in 2007 a mate got married there it's a beautiful place though we only did a bit of the South island we stayed in Christchurch before it was ruined. If you are coming this far you should call into Oz on your way back.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info. re Australian models. I'm always amused when people in the US, Canada or Australia talk about a "short" journey to "neighbours" who live 5 hours drive away! That would be like me driving down to London! My dad is about 2 hours away - 115 miles - and that's enough for me. So I can understand that a regular commute into Melbourne is a bit of a pain for you.

I'm covering the bases with Slaters 7mm Dressed Stone. It's supposedly overscale, but looks right on a large viaduct structure. The sheets are a browny colour. So I smear some black acrylic (or ink) onto the surface and rub it in with an old towel. It comes out looking pretty good, and you can change the colour to suit your needs. Slaters is stuck on to the wood/filler using Evo Stik.

Best wishes,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

I wish I could afford to come back more often, I was over a few years back on my own for my brothers 40th last time I was over with my family was 2003. The plan this time is to travel around a bit as it will probably be the last chance to do the trip with my daughter in tow for a while as school will get more intence in the next few years. Hopefully I will get some time to see afew trains.

Oh and we don't fly Qantas it's not the airline it used to be. We went to NZ in 2007 a mate got married there it's a beautiful place though we only did a bit of the South island we stayed in Christchurch before it was ruined. If you are coming this far you should call into Oz on your way back.

Cheers Peter.

Yes, i'd heard that Qantas was in a lot of difficulty. It's a shame as it always seemed a flag-bearer for Oz.

I plan to hire a car and go round N and S islands. Used to have relatives in Auckland - then they moved to Brisbane and have since returned to the UK! I'm an astrophysics nut, but I've never seen the southern sky - too far south from Europe. So that's my main reason for the journey - though I'm sure I'll find others!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've just finished rubbing down the piers of the viaducts. The smooth result has inspired me, so I've put the fishing back for a couple of days and, since I've got plenty of plastikard, I thought I'd make a start - tomorrow.

So it's out with the EvoStik, scalpel, fine sandpaper and time for a bit of solvent abuse. By the time I get all the card stuck onto the bases I'll be as high as the Shard!

Slightly different techniques for each viaduct. The Branch has square-edged piers, so I can fold a sheet around the column. The Main has tapered piers, so it's section by section cut and stick for that one. I may even use PVA on the Main viaduct.

Branch first. Pictures, as it happens.....

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

You are inspiring me to do some real modeling next time, I look forward to seeing it all done with the rolling hills all around. SO DO GET A MOVE ON :no:

Yes, I know I'm being a bit of a slow-coach!!! I will whip myself 'til I bleed as punishment. :O I would love to get to the scenic bit, as it's my favourite part (along with the joinery), but all the other stuff tends to get in the way...shame we have to fit and wire the rails!! :no:

I'm up bright and early, looking forward to my fix of EvoStik! And, btw, I think you do plenty of "proper modelling"!!

Good to hear from you Andy.

Jeff

So it's out with the EvoStik, scalpel, fine sandpaper and time for a bit of solvent abuse. By the time I get all the card stuck onto the bases I'll be as high as the Shard!

You called....

Oh sorry (puts bong down), Shard!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Here is the first photo of the branch viaduct and initial piece of cladding.

The plastruct is simply a "contour" feature on the pier and will be clad with the same dressed stone as the rest.

Jeff

post-13778-0-66642500-1343821876_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've now run out of plastruct - I have a load on order. However, I've managed to make a start and a couple more pics are given below.

Provided a steel rule is used, the plastikard can be bent through 90 degrees - gently. I'm just hoping the EvoStik doesn't eat too much of the styrene along the crease!

Jeff

post-13778-0-75474800-1343826558_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-36024600-1343826586_thumb.jpg

• Like 1