Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I've finally got going on the branch bridge again. Both arch rings are fitted and I'm presently notching the front and rear springer courses.

Nice to have actually made some progress!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just to show that I have managed something today, here's a couple of pics of the branch fascias. I've managed about 90 minutes on this so far. More commitments now, so a bit more work late-evening!

post-13778-0-84324500-1367340522_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-06030900-1367340530_thumb.jpg

Jeff

ps. sorry is more of the same, but I do feel guilty having achieved virtually nothing since the end of last week!

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Andy. Sorry for the delay - another busy evening, but not modelling - yet!

Hope to get some more of that done later.

Of course, once the bridges are in place I'll have to start building stonewalls for the aqueduct.... umm!

(And I'd better fit rocks into the cuttings before then, or access will be impossible)...

Plenty to do, as usual. It'd be boring if that wasn't the case.

Jeff

Hi Chip....

Of all the people that could be looking at the thread as I post photos!!!!

I promise more as we get further on! Lol!

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I'm always lurking/looking for the photo's, so I for one (along with quite a few more i expect) will be holding you to that promise.

Excellent work as usual.

Chip.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff,   l too am really looking forward to the finished bridge, the stonework looks good..

George..

George, coming from you that is a great complement. Much appreciated.

I asked about scribing bricks in 4mm on your thread. The stonework on the bridges is 7mm. When I look at the 4mm brick size on the arch liner, scribing is a no-no!

Jeff

l have not had any success with playing around with 4mm, its just to fine and the clay breaks up, so if l were you  Jeff l'd stick with embossed plasti-card, as you are making a cracking job so far......

George..

• RMweb Premium

l have not had any success with playing around with 4mm, its just to fine and the clay breaks up, so if l were you  Jeff l'd stick with embossed plasti-card, as you are making a cracking job so far......

George..

Yes, I think those are wise words - and if you have had trouble with 4mm brickwork, then it says it all.

The main problem (as you well know) with the Slaters sheets is blending the corrugations at corners. High speed rubbing down with fine sandpaper and some model filler seems to work (post #5968, for example) - though it does look a bit messy.... Fortunately, painting over tends to cover the filler remnants and any roughness can be put down to "weathering"!!

I'm just off to fit an hour or so in - hard to believe how many other things are getting in the way at the moment - so we'll see how progress goes!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Jeff.  l have made hundreds of buildings using plasticard and may l suggest, that you marry up the two sides so they match at the corner, then with a nice file shave away both edges and mitre them together works for me..(worth a try)

George..

• RMweb Premium

Jeff.  l have made hundreds of buildings using plasticard and may l suggest, that you marry up the two sides so they match at the corner, then with a nice file shave away both edges and mitre them together works for me..(worth a try)

George..

Thanks for that. I'll give it a go on a practice piece in the morning and see what kind of a botch I make of it!!

Jeff

Enough of this building with bricks and slabs of stone, I say! Thread lurkers around here are wanting to spot trains, not architectural novelties.

To this end, here below is a fine 'spot'. A Trafford Park Midland Britannia on the S & C no less... what's more, a famous Britannia, being 70004 'William Shakespeare', a couple of years after the glory of the Golden Arrow.

One thing we know the Britannias did well was work, be it taking 380 tons out of London up to Knockholt, or over Blea Moor, but sometimes the running was easier, as illustrated here. *(or, edit, running downhill...)  I was going to apologise for using a similar angle to a couple of recent pics., but I then thought better of it, apologising, that is. I like the angle!

This reminds me of my filming and photographing of steam days in the 1960s. I have, from an Irwell softcover book a photo of 70004 with early crest in 1961...  I know the engine had the short lubricator rod by 1963 unlike the longer original version in the pic but hoped nobody would care overmuch...  standards have slipped...     oh dear, that could be taken wrongly...

post-7929-0-29132500-1367876674.jpg

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Rob, you score a lot of "Brownie points" with that image, for as you well know, Britannias are one of my favourite loco classes.

There will eventually be some of these delightful engines moving around KL. For the moment, it's structures and stone I'm afraid!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Apologies that things are very slow. It'll be nice to get back into the bunker and start the scenic work out there.

In the meantime, some pics of the branch bridge. Quite a bit of cladding and wing walls made-up. More later.... maybe.

post-13778-0-79403000-1367522439_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Apologies that things are very slow. It'll be nice to get back into the bunker and start the scenic work out there.

In the meantime, some pics of the branch bridge. Quite a bit of cladding and wing walls made-up. More later.... maybe.

attachicon.gif100_3141.JPG

Jeff

Jeff,

Looking good.  You shouldn't worry about your progress, we are obviously interested but you are doing this for fun, and often life gets in the way.

Hi Jeff,

Civil engineering coming along nice and steady and looking pretty good. Goerge's comment on the brickwork is how I do it also, the 7mm blocks are pretty poor at lining up so a corner mitre is the only way to cover the unsightly 'hollow' block effect.

I have been quiet due to work committments and the den rebuild which has been slowed down due to having been afflicted with 'housemaids knee' on Friday last, great news when I have the laminate floor to lay next  :scared:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Civil engineering coming along nice and steady and looking pretty good. Goerge's comment on the brickwork is how I do it also, the 7mm blocks are pretty poor at lining up so a corner mitre is the only way to cover the unsightly 'hollow' block effect.

I have been quiet due to work committments and the den rebuild which has been slowed down due to having been afflicted with 'housemaids knee' on Friday last, great news when I have the laminate floor to lay next  :scared:

Best of luck with the knee, Mike. What a pain (literally) just at the point where you really want to get on.

I tried the mitre method on a test piece of wood this morning. The 7mm stone is very corrugated and I found the result - for me - wasn't as good as using a bit of filler and rapid rubbing to melt the plastic ends together. I've tried to take a close-up pic - see below. It'll look a bit nicer once painted!

post-13778-0-51286900-1367529545_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The corners are always difficult Jeff. If you are modelling English bond there is a small closer used just inside the corner to get the bonding right which just doesn't fit with sheets of brick.

We spent a day doing brickwork yesterday but of the 12" to 1ft variety.

Don

• RMweb Premium

The corners are always difficult Jeff. If you are modelling English bond there is a small closer used just inside the corner to get the bonding right which just doesn't fit with sheets of brick.

We spent a day doing brickwork yesterday but of the 12" to 1ft variety.

Don

One of my favourite pastimes - bricklaying. Landscaping gardens is a bit of a hobby and it's very satisfying to see a wall or structure take shape.

The corners are easier than plastikard, too!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

One of my favourite pastimes - bricklaying. Landscaping gardens is a bit of a hobby and it's very satisfying to see a wall or structure take shape.

The corners are easier than plastikard, too!!

Jeff

Not if you're cutting Queen Closers they aren't (which is why I tend to stick to plain bond).

• RMweb Premium

Not if you're cutting Queen Closers they aren't (which is why I tend to stick to plain bond).

I'll take your word for it, Mike. I also stick to plain bond. I don't want to hurt my brain!

Just started cutting plastikard for the wing walls. Slow progress, but each bit is a step forward.....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've just done the "filler part" of both bridge fascias. It's taken 15 minutes to get all the filler (that didn't go onto the fascias!) off my fingers and the house stinks of the stuff. It'll be ready for rubbing down tomorrow when I get back from the NYMR ("Steam Gala" day).

Both the fascias can then be fixed together to create the overall structure, ready for the arch liner and arch-ring detail. 

I've covered the ply wing walls - these need coping stones and won't be fixed on until later.

And I need to make some wing-walls for the main line bridge.

Oh well, plenty to keep me busy.

I may have to have an hour running some locos in the bunker, tomorrow....... Re-Energise the mojo!!!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I am back with it and will have a read through the bits I have missed the last couple of days.

Have a great Steam Gala and lets have some tasty pics please. :O 

(or some of Trains if there are no women around) :nono: :nono: :nono:

Sorry Polly was that a bit sexist? :no: :no: :no:

Bodgit :sungum: