Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

Which raises the obvious question of why the Heljan 05 shunter costs nearly twice as much!

Well, for a start, the Heljan has brass axle bearings, a heavy chassis and lights. It's the first time I've seen running lights on a shunter. Not only that but the lights are excellent renderings of separate lights i.e. without being embedded in the bodywork behind them. It's a worrying development. If manufacturers take up the idea and apply it to steam locomotives, all my steamers will be obsolete!

I have to agree that the Sentinel is a stunning little model for the price, even if Hornby has skimped on the paint.

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like a new version of the chain drive model in Manchester Ship Canal livery is being released! I don't even model in 00 gauge these days, but I'll still be buying one, although it's a shame that's it not the later livery version as featured on DH23&24.

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2016/locomotives-train-packs/sentinel-dh16-4dh-msc.html

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69947186@N08/6478095187/

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For those interested I now have replacement Hornby skirt etches available as sadly the Hornby model has the horrible join which is nothing like the real locos. These retail for £4.50 a pair and there is both chain drive as illustrated and rod drive versions as they are slightly different on the real locos.

Will be available from the RT Models stand in the small suppliers forum at Warley this weekend and added to the website after.

post-8628-0-49830500-1448646176_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

For those interested I now have replacement Hornby skirt etches available as sadly the Hornby model has the horrible join which is nothing like the real locos. These retail for £4.50 a pair and there is both chain drive as illustrated and rod drive versions as they are slightly different on the real locos. Will be available from the RT Models stand in the small suppliers forum at Warley this weekend and added to the website after.

I wouldn't call that join horrible. But that's one useful piece of kit. I will surely be picking up a set or two if I buy a set or 2.

• RMweb Premium

It looks like a new version of the chain drive model in Manchester Ship Canal livery is being released! I don't even model in 00 gauge these days, but I'll still be buying one, although it's a shame that's it not the later livery version as featured on DH23&24.

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2016/locomotives-train-packs/sentinel-dh16-4dh-msc.html

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69947186@N08/6478095187/

They are also doing the 'Crossley Evans Ltd' Scrap yard external crank one

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/sentinel-crossley-and-evans-0-4-0.html

Both appear to be due at the end of March

• RMweb Premium

For those interested I now have replacement Hornby skirt etches available as sadly the Hornby model has the horrible join which is nothing like the real locos. These retail for £4.50 a pair and there is both chain drive as illustrated and rod drive versions as they are slightly different on the real locos. Will be available from the RT Models stand in the small suppliers forum at Warley this weekend and added to the website after.

I picked up a pair of each this morning. Robert was still bagging them as a fair few of us queued to buy them. They'll go nicely with the sawplan laser glaze frets I already have

• Like 1

These are an excellent time-saver, it'll save me cutting out my own from plasticard so a couple of sets were my sole purchase today. It did help that Robert came round and flogged them to me. :)

• Like 1

I have just received an email from Ultrascale. If there is enough interest David would consider looking at doing a wheelset for the outside cranked version. Current interest level appears to be just me at present.

At his lead times for delivery I'm not surprised.

My cranked version turned up today in the post - rather happy with it. Comparing it to the non-cranker version it does appear to have a slightly shorter wheelbase and larger wheels? Was this true of the prototype also? If so what was the reason?

Can anyone on this website enlighten me and others to why they made the two varients? Was the 4wDM for working in the vacinity of people and cranks and rods rotating around seen as a hazard?

J

• RMweb Premium

My cranked version turned up today in the post - rather happy with it. Comparing it to the non-cranker version it does appear to have a slightly shorter wheelbase and larger wheels? Was this true of the prototype also? If so what was the reason?

Can anyone on this website enlighten me and others to why they made the two varients? Was the 4wDM for working in the vacinity of people and cranks and rods rotating around seen as a hazard?

J

The cranked version had a more powerful engine so possibly it was to reduce the number of broken chains.

Comparing it to the non-cranker version it does appear to have a slightly shorter wheelbase and larger wheels? Was this true of the prototype also?

Yes

Chain drive is more efficient for low power inputs but can't handle large power inputs.

Well, my Oxfordshire Ironstone Sentinel Betty is now finished. 

Detailing parts included swords and plates from Judith Edge, Nameplates from Narrow Planet and sand box spill plates from RT models - I would have used their skirts too, but I'd already filled and sanded mine before they became available. 

It started life as the Wabtec livery model, resprayed with Humbrol acrylic and transfers from Fox. Other detailing includes filling the join lines in the buffer beams, drilling out the lifting eyes, making dump car coupling pockets from scrap etch and adding a crew. I didn't fancy using the Shawplan glazing, but this is also available. 

post-5089-0-97704200-1450039750_thumb.jpg

Paul A. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The rod drive version much to my surprise is correctly 1 mm wider each side on the footplate compared to the chain drive version on the Hornby models.

I'm not sure about filling in the joint lines on this one, the rod drive locos had a platform and buffer beams 6" wider than the chain drive ones so it should actually step out 1mm here.

• 2 weeks later...

No connection etc etc but the Balfour Beatty version is 35.99 on Hornby.com at the moment. So my second one, to go with Barabel, is on the way now, or at least will be once they return to work after the hols. I've never bought two of any loco before, I think that speaks volumes for the quality and value of this loco.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No connection etc etc but the Balfour Beatty version is 35.99 on Hornby.com at the moment. So my second one, to go with Barabel, is on the way now, or at least will be once they return to work after the hols. I've never bought two of any loco before, I think that speaks volumes for the quality and value of this loco.

Yes, I saw that a short while ago too and nearly bought another as well!

They are addictive and I fear for my bank balance if a 6 coupled one is produced!

Mark Saunders

I've got three already. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

• Like 2