The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Aren't I lucky! HMRC are giving me a tax refund this year!

shortliner

• RMweb Gold

I must be doing something wrong 'cos I never get these types of e-mail. I've never won millions, I don't have wealthy friends in Nigeria, nobody sends me phishy links to click on & the tax man only wants to take from me!

Lonely of Sutton aka Bobby No Mates

Every year I get a refund of about £430. At the same time my mate gets a demand to repay about £430.

I wonder if we could arrange with HMRC to sort it out between ourselves - might save them a bob or two!

(although I must confess that my cheque goes straight into my railroad fund account!)

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I must be doing something wrong 'cos I never get these types of e-mail. I've never won millions, I don't have wealthy friends in Nigeria, nobody sends me phishy links to click on & the tax man only wants to take from me!

Rather peculiarly any emails which I receive about the countless millions I can help release from somewhere in Africa etc are always in French.  I treat them with the same disdain I apply to 'phonecalls about the car accident in which my father has been involved in the last 6 months - a remarkable achievement considering that it is over 8 years since we buried his body (however the dumbos making such 'phonecalls are usually treated to 'a good telling off' in terms which suggest they should go forth and multiply or similar).

Well we can always forward your email address to them next time we get one and then you'll have friends in Nigeria forever !!!

Phishing attacks rely on the one person in ten thousand who doesn't suss that they're scams but as they become more sophisticated they may get harder to spot.

With phone spammers just getting a live number makes their lists more valuable. Nowadays I just try to make them think they've come through to a large office.

Slightly more worrying is something I've seen recenty on side channel analysis. I don't think this is particularly new as it dates from 2011 but I'd not come across it before. It seems that if you rely on encryption on mobile devices (and presumably most PCs as well) it may not be as secure as you think. Digital equipment radiates some RF from its internal activity and analysis of this- essentially finding the relevant strings of zeros and ones- .enables cryptograhic keys to be recovered by the bad guys. 

NOTICE OF TAX RETURN FOR YEAR 2013

I am sending this email to announce:

After the last annual calculation of your fiscal activity we have

determined that you are eligible to receive a tax return of: £183.22

Exactly the same amount as me!

I was bored one day and made up a bunch of crap and sent it back using a throwaway email account. I put the address down as: Queens Moat House, 22 St Edwards Way, London RM1 4DD. Which is the HMRC office in Romford.

A mate of mine ones strung one of those Nigerians offering money for a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile in the real world, my son just received a refund from HMRC. One letter with the notification and another one with the cheque. Both posted from the same office on the same day and arriving on the same day. How much wasted paper, postage, processing is that? I've seen it stated that for every £1 that is actually spent on a programme or service costs the taxpayer £2.20 in tax. The other £1.20 is lost in the government's operating costs.

• RMweb Premium

Well we can always forward your email address to them next time we get one and then you'll have friends in Nigeria forever !!!

Phishing attacks rely on the one person in ten thousand who doesn't suss that they're scams but as they become more sophisticated they may get harder to spot.

With phone spammers just getting a live number makes their lists more valuable. Nowadays I just try to make them think they've come through to a large office.

Slightly more worrying is something I've seen recenty on side channel analysis. I don't think this is particularly new as it dates from 2011 but I'd not come across it before. It seems that if you rely on encryption on mobile devices (and presumably most PCs as well) it may not be as secure as you think. Digital equipment radiates some RF from its internal activity and analysis of this- essentially finding the relevant strings of zeros and ones- .enables cryptograhic keys to be recovered by the bad guys. 

This was on telly last night can't remember which channel or time.

SS

I fell a bit left out, I never get these emails, :scared:

on the bright side, did get a nice letter from HMRC say they were send me a payable order for 380.20, and low and behold it arrived next day too, now to spend it before they want it back !

• RMweb Gold

I've had a few of these recently - including variants purporting to have come from the UN Secretary General personally.  Some comic relief at times!

INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND (IMF)
DEPT: WORLD DEBT RECONCILIATION AGENCIES.
ADVISE: YOUR OUTSTANDING PAYMENT NOTIFICATION
ATTN:Beneficiary,
Your Long overdue Payment.
I saw your email ( in the Central Computer among the list of unpaid contractors, inheritance next of kin and lotto beneficiaries that was originated from Africa, Europe, Asia Plus Middle east, Americans ) among the list of individuals and companies that your unpaid fund has been located to the FEDERAL RESERVE BANK OF NEW YORK, USA.
Your email appeared among the beneficiaries, who will receive a part-payment of your contractual sum and has been approved already for months. You are requested to get back to me for more direction and instruction on how to receive your fund. However, we received an email from one Mr. Virgle Lee Samples who told us that he is your next of kin and that you died in a car accident last week. He has also submitted his account for us to transfer the fund to him including his International passport, we want to hear from you before we can make the transfer to confirm if you are dead or not. Please in confirmation that you are still alive, you are advised to reconfirm the below listed information to enable us facilitate an immediate payment for you.
1 Your full names
2 Your present contact address.
3 Your telephone & Fax numbers.
4 Your Occupations/age/sex.
5 Your Private Email Address.
6 Home Equity (Yes or No)
Once again, I apologize to you on behalf Of IMF (International Monetary Fund) for failure to pay your funds in time, which according to records in the system had been long overdue.

Thanks,
Mr. Axel Schimmelpfennig
IMF REPRESENTATIVE SOUTH AFRICA

• RMweb Premium

I've had a few of these recently - including variants purporting to have come from the UN Secretary General personally.  Some comic relief at times!

6 Home Equity (Yes or No)

If you entered No for question 6, would they lose interest in you?

Archived