Bachmann E4

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

It may be that those clack valves were added by Ashford, in a period when that works took over maintenance of the E4s. I think that is what I have inferred from Bradley's description of the Southern Railway period for these locos. So 2473 as preserved should have them, 579 in Marsh umber should not.

The underside view is very revealing. The aspect that caught my attention is the trailing truck wheel arrangement. Looks as though it is in a swivelling mount, much as the arrangement on the 56xx - also 0-6-2T - model. What I found with this latter chassis is that this makes the vehicle track sensitive, as the wheel can take an oblique set when going through a point network leading to derailment, especially bunker leading. (Peco large and medium radius live crossing points for the record.)

A simple lightly sprung pony truck is a far better choice in my opinion, completely reliable. (Since I couldn't have my N7 falling over the points all the time, I fixed the 56xx chassis by gluing on shims bearing on the axle to prevent any pivoting action, more than adequate sideplay to still get this chassis round a 24" radius.)

I totally agree with this observation, I have two of the 56XX tanks with this trailing axle arrangement and when running bunker first derail at every opportunity on point work, I to have had to insert shims to give the locos the ability to stay on the track. Bachmann please, please, please, do not spoil this wonderful new model with such a poor trailing axle arrangement. Lets have a lightly sprung pony truck instead. Its all very well having a first class looking locomotive, but it needs to run without derailing and not just be a loco shed display item.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Yesterday at the bluebell model railway exhibition Bachmann had what i think was a BR e4 variant on display:

attachicon.gifE4 RMWEB 3.jpgattachicon.gifE4 RMWEB 2.jpgattachicon.gif E4 RMWEB 1.jpg

It was indeed the E4 which gained much favourable comment from both visitors and Bluebell Railway members alike. Over the weekend many visited the stand to see it for themselves. This is EP2 – one or two minor modifications having been made following consultation with the railway following the arrival of EP1 earlier in the year.  All were delighted to see it on show and look forward to seeing livery samples next.

Dennis Lovett

Public Relations Manager

Bachmann Europe Plc

• Like 3

Regarding  clack  valves  (or  not)  on  the  side  of  the  boiler.

This  depends  on  which  type  of  boiler  is  fitted,  several  different  versions  were  built  to  fit  these  engines  over  the  years.

The  same  boiler  could  also  be  used  on  some  other  classes.

Some  of  these  had  clack  valves  on  the  boiler  side,  others  had  backhead  mounted   combined  injector  steam  valves  &  clacks.  Any  specific  loco  could  have  had  different  arrangements  at  different  times  during  its  lifetime.

Only  real  way  to  tell  what  is  correct  is  datable  photographs.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

This is a model in development.Why on earth take this as what eventually you will get out of the box...?

I didn't assume the final product will look like that, though that is usually what you would try to accomplish in a catalogue.

The appearance of the colour could be due to overexposure of the photograph to show more detail. It could be a poor choice by whomever hand-painted it.

I simply asked if the colour looked washed out.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

It's clearly hand finished, but not to a good standard. The lining is simplified (squared off corners round the cab) and the lettering on the tank is too low. It looks a bit like something out of a 1970s Wrenn catalogue.

I take your word for it that it's 'hand finished'.To me it looks like a sample seen in a catalogue as an 'artist's impression' of a model soon to be 'in production'. I really don't think that there is a need to rush to judgement at this stage.

If we are to judge,please wait until this model reaches the market,hopefully sometime later this year....and yes,I have seen and handled both painted and unpainted pre production samples of this very fine model.Rest assured,you are in for a treat.

• RMweb Gold

I didn't assume the final product will look like that, though that is usually what you would try to accomplish in a catalogue.

The appearance of the colour could be due to overexposure of the photograph to show more detail. It could be a poor choice by whomever hand-painted it.

I simply asked if the colour looked washed out.

By doing so ,you are giving ,I think.people an impression that there's a problem.Pity the poor guy commissioned to paint the pre production sample..Remember,this is just a step on the road..

Got a feeling the painted samples on the website might be computer done or Hand painted which Bachmann does from time to time, as there are errors on the livery of the SR one which looks like something out of the railroad range and the LBSC one is rather simple, I have a feeling they are just to get a feel of what they may look like, as I think posted last week or a few weeks ago they only just got the second EP so either China just pulled the finger out or your looking at Computer or hand painted samples.

Edited by Bluebell Model Railway

It is probably a problem with the image i.e. The camera or the wrong shade on the computer, because all the newly released samples look washed out, and its unlikely that they all will be painted wrong. I do agree that the southern and lbsc livery are a bit basic, and is looks like 473's wheels are weathered? yet again it may be a issue with the image, but it would be very surprised if they weathered the southern version and not a br version. Also on past images put on the Bachmann website the shade is often wrong, like with the new secr c class.

Nevertheless, i think the unlined black version looks quite nice :)

• Like 2

Really like the E4 LB&SCR and Southern liveries off the website. Definitely going to order one each of those a bit closer to the release date. :no:  

I wouldn't wait, if they sell anything like the C class you may miss out.

• RMweb Gold

I can confirm that these images of the E4 are hand painted EP samples, so that they had something to photograph in colour for the catalogue.

If you think the SR Maunsell version of the E4 livery was odd in their catalogue and on their website you should see the other side of the same loco and the very spurious Sunshine style lettering application! At the trade and media event yesterday I immediately highlighted this and I was advised that the actual final livery artwork is still in progress and will differ from that shown on the hand painted samples.