Bachmann E4

Graham_Muz

Guest spet0114

You mean Bachmann didn't tell us which boat they are on so RMWebbers could generate pages of tracking?

Les

Yes, but it's for security reasons. Wouldn't put it past the Margate mob to hire a U-boat....

• RMweb Premium

Have been looking at the pictures of the (irritatingly renumbered) lined late crest one in the Toddler.

Does the grey lining look a bit thick/wide or is it a trick of the camera?

It's not the percentage hike that some wagons have seen.

You pay your money and take your choice. As always the cancel option is available.

I would personally pay the price and keep the stream of models coming.

If there is a glut, there will be bargains.

If they sell out, the models will have an enhanced eBay resale value.

That's my two cents

Edited by The Bigbee Line

If they sell out, the models will have an enhanced eBay resale value. 

That just it, with short runs on models and having to pre order models now as you if you don't your miss it, you fell like your over a barrel.

Yes i too got an email with the new price and was a little shocked!, When the coal tank was out it was selling for around £71-76.

Now the ER4 is hitting over £109.99 on Bachmann site and selling in the shops for around £94.99, Which i feel is a bit over the top, I myself will still be getting one,but only one.

​Pity really as i would have got more than one, so repeat sales lost there, i never would have knew a year or so ago that a Tank loco would go over the £100  mark.

But they will sell at these price's as it would be the only way a lot of modelers would have one, the last two price rise i have only brought two loco's 64xx and the Dukedog, looking at the price RRP that's a 40% price rise on this mode,if my math is right. 

Darren

Edited by darren01

I have had the email as well so will be cancelling the pre order when I have checked I can buy it at the same price from my local shop. I am not waiting for more emails in the next few days for more items and the price promise being broken if so all these will be cancelled.

I don't think the point that we should be willing to pay any price for these high quality models holds true as raw material and fuel costs are dropping prices are going through the roof.

There is no point in high quality models if only a few can afford them.

Please all, dont get me wrong, but if a supplier gives you a guaranteed pre order price of £76 then thats what it should be, the key word here is guaranteed. Not to send out an email saying we demand £24 more ! The supplier has to take it on the chin if they say these things, if they and the supplier have a difference of opinion over prices tough!, NOT to pass it on to the customer. I have now lost faith with the supplier, which is a shame as I have purchased from them for years now and always thought that they were genuine, but alas the are not, they are in the leauge of all the other money grabbing establishments out there! End of rant, sorry chaps but had to be said.

• Like 1

Please all, dont get me wrong, but if a supplier gives you a guaranteed pre order price ...

I question whether the "terms and conditions" of the order actually use the word "guaranteed" related to pricing.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

I question whether the "terms and conditions" of the order actually use the word "guaranteed" related to pricing.

Taken from their website...."The prices displayed are guaranteed (to be no higher) for all advance orders."

Just canceled my one today and will have a look at my local shop for it,the price made me think twice about getting one at all and one it will only be.

I agree they should remove it or sate that they can not guarantee the price set, may help.

Darren

• RMweb Gold

PS: can't seem to quote dseagull's posting despite clicking the "reply quoting this post" button

The problem is this site and not IE 11.  To correct the issue you need to change to the RMweb_2013 theme.  Go to the bottom of this page and click "change theme". Select the 2013 theme and then restart IE.  All should then work for you.

• RMweb Premium

I thought Hattons would stick to the price on this one. I think it was the year after range announcements where they did say the price was an indication and may vary when delivered. I've now cancelled my LB&SCR one anyway. I was going to start a collection of pre grouping locos,and this would have joined my L&Y liveried tank , but I'm not prepared to pay ever larger amounts of money for models I will seldom use. Gone for a 64xx though at £69.95. I do think that's reasonable value.

• Like 1

The email of death also arrived from the big 'H'.. I too imagined the price was secure but had already ordered another at the higher price.

The E4 however is intrinsic to my modelling strategy and so it is essential to pay the extra bunce required.

There was an interesting revelation in today's guardian concerning the new 12 sided pound. The pound now resembles an old three penny bit.

So consider this is a pound now only worth three pence? If so then a hundred pounds is only a mere 300 pence. Or just #1/5/- in 1950's money...

So is the increase really too much to pay?

Difficulties in emotionally handling these kinds of situations can occur if 'business ethics' get equated with 'morality' -

(They appear to differ in the way they handle pain...

For those on a short budget these price rises must be a worrying trend and of some continuing concern...

It's quite a big jump thought we already had one from £79 and then increased to £84 ... then today £93...
I will keep the pre orders, just surprised to see another price increase.
They have it quite well sorted... went to 3 - 4 other shops well known... all the same £93.. so much for retail competition eh? or room to change pre-order to another supplier for a cheaper price all the same.

• RMweb Premium

I have had the email as well so will be cancelling the pre order when I have checked I can buy it at the same price from my local shop. I am not waiting for more emails in the next few days for more items and the price promise being broken if so all these will be cancelled.

I don't think the point that we should be willing to pay any price for these high quality models holds true as raw material and fuel costs are dropping prices are going through the roof.

Firstly Hattons have 'form' for posting unrealistic prices initially. IIRC, last year they posted prices pretty quickly after Bachmann's announcements - and even Bachmann said they were no more than guess work on as Bachmann themselves had no idea what the likely retail price was going to be when the models finally arrived here.

A good rule of thumb should be if most other retailers are showing the price of a model to be TBA (to be advised) then there is no way that Hattons can guarantee they will honour said price.

Thus all those complaining about the dramatic rise in the price of the E4 from Hattons, frankly should have seen it coming - especially with all the noises coming from Bachmann over the past few years about significant price hikes being needed.

Secondly while commodity prices (i.e. oil - used for fuel and as the raw materials for models), metals, etc may well have been falling - you have chosen to ignore the fact that labour costs are rising much much faster. Remember our finely detailed models don't assemble themselves by magic - it is the nimble fingers of lots of Chinese ladies (mainly) that apply all this fine detail we are demanding these days and they have just as much right as you or I do to receive improved wages and improved Ts & Cs as the Chinese economy develops.

Thirdly there IS a point in making high quality models if only a few can afford them - its called taking advantage of a business oppotunity. Presumably you would also argue that there is no point in producing Ferrari cars on the basis that only a few people can afford them.

At the end of the day Bachman are in the business of making money - they are not a charity. As such it may be that due to price rises they find themselves moving more to the 'smaller sales volume but high detail at a high price end' of the model spectrum while others cater for the 'high volume, lower price, lower detail' end of the market. There is nothing inherently evil, immoral or wrong about such a situation - indeed such an approach already exists in cars, supermarkets, clothes stores, why should it not also be true of model railways - which (and lets not kid ourselves here) definitely count as a 'luxuary' item when it comes to consumer spending.

There was an interesting revelation in today's guardian concerning the new 12 sided pound. The pound now resembles an old three penny bit.

Already being called a George (Osborne).

Too much side, two-faced, and worthless!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

They have it quite well sorted... went to 3 - 4 other shops well known... all the same £93.. so much for retail competition eh? or room to change pre-order to another supplier for a cheaper price all the same.

Isn't that because Bachmann restrict the discount retailers can give to 15% for new models for a period, I can't quite remember 12 weeks?so price naturally gravitates to 15% discounted rate which I assume is £93

Thus all those complaining about the dramatic rise in the price of the E4 from Hattons, frankly should have seen it coming -

Should we?

The 64XX pannier tank has just landed at it's pre order price, Hattons have it at £69 -72 on their site. The E4 might be a bit bigger and with an extra axle but it is not a million miles away from a pannier but it has gone up £17.

I haven't got a problem with increases but Bachmanns are all over the place, the Warship has gone up £42

• RMweb Gold

There is every point in doing so if "the few" stump up the cash that makes your business profitable. It's called market positioning; all firms have to decide where they want to sit in the overall structure of their industry and movements (or attempts at them) are not uncommon.

The fact that such movements exclude some previous customers and cause others to exclude themselves is an inevitable side effect.

John  

• RMweb Gold

I won't be buying one not due to the cost though its a higher price then some would have liked they are only going to get more expensive and I can see in about 5 years medium tanks will be £150

If things carry on with out some sort of change. I can only hope I am proved wrong when the coal tank is released.

The price rise is annoying and disappointing. I am however in a position where I can absorb it, not everyone is. (plus any profit from my purchase will be supporting the Bluebell Railway, so is in effect a donation to a worthy cause)

But to put this in perspective, in about 1996 I purchased a (still lovely) Dapol A1X Stepney from the much missed H.A Blunts in Mill Hill, London, costing me around £45. Adjusting for inflation that is £73 in today's prices. A good model for its day although now dated.

When you consider the detail enhancements and quality of the finish Bachmann is implmeneting on the E4 (I'm thinking the LBSCR and SR liveries), plus the fact it is a larger loco, the price is still good value. Remember a further part of the problem is Bachmann stopping deep discounting that we've seen in the past (think Hattons selling the C Class for £69)

As I have said before, I'd rather buy a smaller number of high quality models than a large number of cheaper ones. I'd much rather have an E4 for £100 than Hornby's Design Clever BR 8P for a similar price..