The Buildings of Studley and Astwood Bank

Sweven

A couple more photographs of the back of the Tudor house. Tonight I will try and add those finishing touches to the doors and chimneys. I notice that I have been using the chimneys as handles to pick the building up and probably need to repaint their bricks as the paint is wearing off!

post-20290-0-26355000-1404247162.jpg

I am pleased with the simple drain pipes made from wire with fine wire wrapped around for the supports.

post-20290-0-55317900-1404247185.jpg

post-20290-0-34167500-1404247327.jpg

I didn't finish the doors but did make some chimney "pots". These are made from some 3 mm diameter heat-shrink scraps, sliced in half and painted terracotta.

Here they are after their first coat of paint. The weather doesn't really look like that outside - the photograph happened to be taken with the cutting board sitting on a place mat - and rather than cropping it out I thought I would show off the New Zealand Pohutakawa tree which is covered with red flowers at Christmas time.

post-20290-0-54453600-1404337907.jpg

And attached to the chimneys - I think they will need another coat of paint yet. I'll do that when I touch up the chimney bricks.

post-20290-0-92286700-1404337910_thumb.jpg

My attention turned back to the station baseboards this weekend and I have completed adding grass to the embankment and started on the yard around the goods shed. I had previously added a first layer of 3mm light green (Woodland Scenics) grass to the embankment by covering it liberally with PVA and then shaking on the grass and making it stand on end using the vacuum cleaner. Now I have gone back over the top with diluted PVA and a 6mm brighter green Noch grass and I am adding some patches of various colour.

There are plenty of stray pieces of grass left for the porter to sweep up.

post-20290-0-43496300-1404688265.jpg

One decision I need to finalise is the colour of the hard-standing and approach roads (the area around the shed is just undercoated with grey poster paint currently). My first attempt was quite white and I am not to sure about it. Now tending towards a light grey but will look at more photographs.

post-20290-0-98905900-1404688269.jpg

I also had a wee mishap with the signal box, knocking it to the floor, but the only damage was to the finials and instrument shelf.

Plus we are having lots of fun with this.......which is really nice........

.......Jaz sneaking thru the underbrush......checking out the lovely flowers......and laughing like a drain....as she sees the shadow of Bill Posters disappear

• RMweb Premium

And attached to the chimneys - I think they will need another coat of paint yet. I'll do that when I touch up the chimney bricks.post-8964-0-79074800-1405031063.jpg

Where's the absolutely brilliant icon!

Lost for words........an absolutely amazing piece of modelling. I know the area well as I originate from Stratford on Avon. Still drive past Studley station quite often when visiting my parents who still live in Stratford. Missed this thread before but definitely a follower now.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus. I have enjoyed reading your thread this morning and very impressed with the night shots, bracket signal and repainted buildings (that is also a lovely line of trees along the back).

Cheers

John

A few photographs of figures on the platform at Studley and Astwood Bank.

The stationmaster worries over when the morning post will arrive.

post-20290-0-67169400-1405466572.jpg

The familiar figure of the porter continues to keep the platform clean and tidy.

post-20290-0-47359600-1405466411_thumb.jpg

While further down the platform Mrs Periwinkle waits to go into Redditch to the Milliners.

post-20290-0-71035200-1405466518_thumb.jpg

And finally another view of the stationmaster - I had to crudely edit the background of this one as there was an O gauge locomotive on a shelf in the background which disturbed the perspective!

post-20290-0-45426700-1405466636_thumb.jpg

A few photographs of figures on the platform at Studley and Astwood Bank.

The stationmaster worries over when the morning post will arrive.

attachicon.gifStationmaster1.jpg

The familiar figure of the porter continues to keep the platform clean and tidy.

attachicon.gifPorter1.jpg

While further down the platform Mrs Periwinkle waits to go into Redditch to the Milliners.

attachicon.giflady1.jpg

And finally another view of the stationmaster - I had to crudely edit the background of this one as there was an O gauge locomotive on a shelf in the background which disturbed the perspective!

attachicon.gifStationmaster3.jpg

really effective figure painting too.....montys i presume?

Thanks guys,

Hi Allan, It was an old Hornby tinplate locomotive made in 1925 so it really did look strange in the background!

Hi Jaz, yes more excellent Monty's figures. I founf one of the great things of the spigot on the bottom is that I could drill a hole in the platform and then turn the station master around to other directions for different shots.

Cheers John

I love this thread iv lived in Redditch all my life and cycled and driven round green lane for years and if I had the money I would buy the station house in studley (lotto win only) im in awe of those building amazing id love to be that talented especially as youe done them I assume all from photographs

all the best Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks for that. Yes I tried to persuade my wife that we could buy the station building for holidays in the UK, but that would have required a lotto win too! I spent many months finding all the photographs I could and then estimated the dimensions from those. I learned that camera lenses do distort dimensions quite a lot. Hopefully next time we visit the UK (we have family in Romsey, Cheltenham, Bath and Leeds) I can plan a route that lets me drive by Green Lane.

Cheers John

yes the lense dose distort a little its more noticeable with buildings than cars and trains and such but I should imagen when making models from the dimentions takes a speciel talent  but I havev found that with some of the things iv shot in the past photography is a bit of a hobbie lol I think that sounds like a great idea when next over its easy to find lol

all the best phil

Archived