Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

With reference to 'Hillmorton Class 87 87001 down Royal Scot March 76 J5082', I have learnt something that I didn't know.  Loco hauled mark 3 stock in use before production HSTs entered service. I had always assumed that the HSTs were in service first. Lovely pictures as always and the horse and foal add a very special touch indead.

With a Mk1 catering vehicle (RU?) (RKB?)...

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Gold

Could well be a Class 87 - the loco has Flexicoil springs so definitely not Classes 81 - 85.

Look at the underfloor boxes (not sure what they are!) and compare to other 85s 86s and 87s - its an 87

Phil

With reference to 'Hillmorton Class 87 87001 down Royal Scot March 76 J5082', I have learnt something that I didn't know.  Loco hauled mark 3 stock in use before production HSTs entered service. I had always assumed that the HSTs were in service first. Lovely pictures as always and the horse and foal add a very special touch indead.

Indeed, but the odd thing is that the MK designations were/are MK3 for HST trailers and 3a and later some 3b for the loco hauled stock and if course only the loco hauled stock has conventional buffing gear.

Indeed, but the odd thing is that the MK designations were/are MK3 for HST trailers and 3a and later some 3b for the loco hauled stock and if course only the loco hauled stock has conventional buffing gear.

Not quite the first HST vehicles all had buffers and 1000v ETH as they were effectively local hauled coaches.............

Edited by 45125

Not quite the first HST vehicles all had buffers and 1000v ETH as they were effectively local hauled coaches.............

Agreed, but my reply was in the context of the quoted text which refers to production HSTs :yes:

That is why, of course, when the prototype HST was disbanded, (some of) its trailers became part of the LHCS fleet.

Edit, corrects 'autocorrect' and its belief that it has a better grasp of grammar.

Edited by leopardml2341

J4361 isn't an 87 Dave. Air braked. It's an all Mk1 rake! Whilst there we're a fair few dual braked a WCML rake would've been VB and dual heat. Can't suggest an alternative it's a bit indistinct.

Some great photos as always!

Regards

Guy

J4361 isn't an 87 Dave. Air braked. It's an all Mk1 rake! Whilst there we're a fair few dual braked a WCML rake would've been VB and dual heat. Can't suggest an alternative it's a bit indistinct.

Some great photos as always!

Regards

Guy

On that basis, it's an 86 with the flexicoil springs, iirc 3 of them subclass 86/1?

Ignore that ∆∆∆ wrong pic reference, I'm tired!

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the York photos, and the first one is a delightful view of a Deltic running through on a down non stopper. The second photo is a lovely one of Flying Scotsman just over a year later.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I remember the last ever train to Hull via Market Weighton, in late November, 1965. A six car DMU. It was packed to standing as it ran along the line in the moonlit snowy landscape. Detonators were let off on departing Market Weighton station, next stop Beverley. Now all trains to Hull go via Selby. Memories, which are brought back by those lovely photo's.

Best regards,

Rob.