Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how many of you remember the narrow gauge loco collection at Gloddfa Ganol Mountain Tourist Centre, just outside Blaenau Ffestiniog in the slate quarry.

Blaenau Ffestiniog Gloddfa Ganol 2442 8th Aug 79 C4743.jpg

Blaenau Ffestiniog Gloddfa Ganol 2442 8th Aug 79 C4743 Kerr Stuart

Blaenau Ffestiniog Gloddfa Ganol Ker Stuart 2451 8th Aug 79 C4747.jpg

Blaenau Ffestiniog Gloddfa Ganol Ker Stuart 2451 8th Aug 79 C4747

Blaenau Ffestiniog Gloddfa Ganol Hudson 36863 Hunslet 45913 behind 8th Aug 79 C4748.jpg

Blaenau Ffestiniog Gloddfa Ganol Hudson 36863 Hunslet 45913 behind 8th Aug 79 C4748

Blaenau Ffestiniog Gloddfa Ganol Deutz 257081 Delta 8th Aug 79 C4754.jpg

Blaenau Ffestiniog Gloddfa Ganol Deutz 257081 Delta 8th Aug 79 C4754

Blaenau Ffestiniog Gloddfa Ganol unidentified Simplex perhaps 8th Aug 79 C4759.jpg

Blaenau Ffestiniog Gloddfa Ganol unidentified Simplex perhaps 8th Aug 79 C4759

Blaenau Ffestiniog Gloddfa Ganol Kerr Stuart 3014 8th Aug 79 C4761.jpg

Blaenau Ffestiniog Gloddfa Ganol Kerr Stuart 3014 8th Aug 79 C4761

David

David,

I'd like to say I remember the Gloddfa locos well but I would have be about 5 to 7 when we visited. I remember it being a parallel museum to Bleanau complete with railway ride in a tunnel behind a battery loco. It had not long closed as a working mine (prob after one of the many Penrhyn Company change rounds).

I went back in the mid '80s and the museum and locos were gone and it was a working mine again.... albeit briefly. That would have been about the time The Deep Pit opened at Llechwedd.

All the slate museums were very different in the mid 70s... the H&SW Act was new and there was a lot of recent Industrial activity obvious. It's all much less dangerous now!

We visited Dinowic Power Station during the build around then as my father was a Power Supply Engineer with London Transport and we visited with one of his clubs/groups/associations. It was a very weird deja vu to visit Electric Mountain in my 40s!

Edited by daveyb

Is it just me, or does any one else just not care which Deltic it was!

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the photos immensely.

I suspect that David cares. Most of the point of this (Deltics or otherwise) is to help him identify & label the content of his and his father's photographs. I know how irritated I get when I find an image that I hadn't labelled correctly!

It's just that there are so many detail differences within a small class of locomotives, with Deltics, that it is relatively easy to identify the subject of the photographs for him (plus, it's a bit of fun :derisive:  )

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

C1836 and J4123 are definitely 55019 on the same train taken a few seconds apart. Other than the lighting and clean rolling stock, the giveaway they are not on different days is the partly open sandbox filler beyond the nameplate.

• RMweb Gold

Is it just me, or does any one else just not care which Deltic it was!

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the photos immensely.

I suspect that David cares. Most of the point of this (Deltics or otherwise) is to help him identify & label the content of his and his father's photographs. I know how irritated I get when I find an image that I hadn't labelled correctly!

It's just that there are so many detail differences within a small class of locomotives, with Deltics, that it is relatively easy to identify the subject of the photographs for him (plus, it's a bit of fun :derisive:  )

It's not tremendosuly important, but it is nice to know which locos Dad and I photographed all those years ago, and I do update the catalogues.

However I too get just as much enjoyment simply looking at the photos, whether I know the loco number or not.  They all bring back memories, despite having many thousands of photos I can often remember a lot about each day I (or Dad) went out to take them.

David

• Like 1

attachicon.gifd Blyth West staithes sidings 56134 16th Aug 85 C7145.jpg

Blyth West staithes sidings 56134 16th Aug 85 C7145

David

Having just built two more sections to my model railway, one above the main boards and one below, i can't believe the gradient change in this shot. I've been faffing about trying to make them as gentle as possible.

Edited by LNERGE

Having just built two more sections to my model railway, one above the main boards and one below, i can't believe the gradient change in this shot. I've been faffing about trying to make them as gentle as possible.

IIRC from a solitary visit to Blyth to measure wagons, the staithes were worked by running the loaded wagons up with the 08, then letting gravity return the empty ones to the foot of the staithes. They would then be returned, again by gravity, to the low-level sidings from which the 37 and 56 are emerging. The brake van would be detached from the incoming train, then either dropped down to the far end of the 'empties' sidings, or dropped into the van kip, like the one in the photo. It would make an interesting model, though the massive scale of the staithes would dwarf any rolling stock.

• RMweb Gold

I can't agree.  I see no evidence of classical Greek buildings, or the hillside on which newborn babies were left to fend for themselves to prove their worthiness to be citizens.  AFAIK Sparta was not in a coal mining area either.

I may not be being entirely serious in this post...

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Blyth and Tyne photos. The first one, from today, shows how vile today’s weather has been, and is a good record of it.

I particularly like C18580, of 37432, Sir Murray Morrison, at a Cambios, on May, 29th, 1993. It looks good in the Inter City livery.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

I find the Blyth & Tyne photographs fascinating, especially as (along with the Cumbrian coast) it is about the only part of the network that I've never visited in nearly fifty years. Perhaps if the proposed passenger services up to Ashington and/or Newbiggin-by-the-Sea ever see the light of day I might be able to put that omission right.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the GE photos. The last two of class 47 hauled expresses are great photos, and so iconic of the GE from the 70’s and 80’s.

The SNCF class 141R tender in C1872, at Harwich, would have gone to either the Nene Valley line, or the Great Central. I’m favouring the Nene Valley.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The SNCF class 141R tender in C1872, at Harwich, would have gone to either the Nene Valley line, or the Great Central. I’m favouring the Nene Valley.

The loco that was at the Nene Valley was a 4-6-0, rather than a Mikado - unless this tender was acquired as a spare (I don't recall ever seeing it there). Specifically, it was de Glehn compound 3.628:

http://ajectathefrenchsteam.unblog.fr/nord-3628-3628-sncf-230-d-116-french-ten-wheels/

• RMweb Gold

The tender was with a 141R.

It is now in Switzerland - the restoration company it eventually ended up with failed, I believe it is now used for spares.

There are photos of the loco earlier in the thread - just search "This topic" using "141R"

David

• RMweb Gold

Never seen fly ash in presflos before; my local workings were from Aberthaw power station to various sites during the M5 build across the Somerset Levels in MGR hoppers, with double headed 37s.