Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Lovely photo's of the Cumbrian Coast line earlier today, followed by a cold inducing selection of photo's of Haughley  Junction - not forgetting that last one at Bury St Edmunds, with a 'dusty' looking 47, 47405. The winter of 1979 was incredibly cold and snowy, and here in East Yorkshire, snow drifted up to about twenty feet in many places on the Wolds. The trains struggled to run. On one journey to Hull, in early January, the DMU only just made the journey with near continuous wheel-slipping.

Good view of a class 114 in photo' C4303, it really does bring all those memories back.

Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

Edited by Market65

• RMweb Premium

Haughley Junction, between Ipswich and Norwich and a quick look at Bury St Edmunds this evening.

attachicon.gifa Haughley Junction Class 108 Ipswich to Cambridge Feb 79 C4303.jpg

Haughley Junction Class 108 Ipswich to Cambridge Feb 79 C4303

David

Bury St Edmunds 47405 Northumbria eastbound freightliner May 83 C6035

Hi David

Some lovely shots, I wonder if the steam heating was working on those trains with the Stratford silver roof 47s, some of the coaches seem to have a thick layer of snow on the roof.

The 108 is a 114 a long way from home, typical of Cambridge to steal another shed's DMUs. The main way to tell them apart is the 108 has 3 big windows and one small between the doors (looking from the cab end) and a 114 has one small window then 4 big ones.

I missed the winter of 79, the army sent me to Belize. It manage to snow a couple of days after we returned in May.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

Some lovely shots, I wonder if the steam heating was working on those trains with the Stratford silver roof 47s, some of the coaches seem to have a thick layer of snow on the roof.

The 108 is a 114 a long way from home, typical of Cambridge to steal another shed's DMUs. The main way to tell them apart is the 108 has 3 big windows and one small between the doors (looking from the cab end) and a 114 has one small window then 4 big ones.

I missed the winter of 79, the army sent me to Belize. It manage to snow a couple of days after we returned in May.

Hi, Clive Mortimore. I was going to put something additional into my previous post, but decided to concentrate more 'that' winter. You are quite right about the class 114's, for they always seem to be getting miscaptioned in books etc., I will be having a go at building a 4mm model of one sometime in the Autumn. The winter was dreadful, and the summer was very thundery and generally unsettled.

All the best,

Market65.

Edited by Market65
  • Like 1

J742 is most interesting...   At least one of the steel 16-tonners behind the wooden-bodied opens appears to have the same rather  crudely applied LOCOSX marking.   Is there any chance of making out on the original slide what's on the black panel on the upper left-hand side of the cupboard-door mineral to the right?  

Thanks again Dave for all the work in scanning and posting these fantastic pictures.  Based on five pictures per day, which is an excellent amount to anticipate and savour, you have about 20 years' worth to go :sungum:  

Best regards,

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Hi David

Hi, Clive Mortimore. I was going to put something additional into my previous post, but decided to concentrate more 'that' winter. You are quite right about the class 114's, for they always seem to be getting miscaptioned in books etc., I will be having a go at building a 4mm model of one sometime in the Autumn. The winter was dreadful, and the summer was very thundery and generally unsettled.

All the best,

Market65.

When I posted the photos this evening I thought that it looked more like a 114 than a 108 but left the original caption alone, thought I'd check it and promptly forgot!

Many thanks for correcting me, I really do appreciate it as I think that captions should be as accurate as possible.

David..

• RMweb Gold

J742 is most interesting...   At least one of the steel 16-tonners behind the wooden-bodied opens appears to have the same rather  crudely applied LOCOSX marking.   Is there any chance of making out on the original slide what's on the black panel on the upper left-hand side of the cupboard-door mineral to the right?  

Thanks again Dave for all the work in scanning and posting these fantastic pictures.  Based on five pictures per day, which is an excellent amount to anticipate and savour, you have about 20 years' worth to go :sungum:  

Best regards,

Bill

No, the lettering was too small - I looked when I scanned it.  The slide was Agfa, never noted for its sharpness in the first place and it was very badly faded.

All I could make out was something which might have been something like:

ONLY TO BE USED  

_____  _______   CIRCUIT

________ ________

_________

_______ _____

The lines being words which were completely illegible.

David

Is there any chance of making out on the original slide what's on the black panel on the upper left-hand side of the cupboard-door mineral to the right? 

Would it not be the standard,

"Not to be used for

PW Ballast or

other engineers

materials"

as applied to most (but not all) of the cupboard door minerals following the accident when a loco collided with the open doors on an engineers train???

See:

http://fox-transfers.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/2dfba82ca589aca4258937695a19c66a/F/R/FRH7950.jpg

Porcy

Re:- J742 above.

The ex-GWR opens branded  "LOCOSX" at Skipton.

Would this branding be similar to 'SUBEX' and 'COLEX'

i.e.

Condemn once ' expensive ' repairs become necessary ?

Brian R

My first guess was 'don't take coal out of this wagon on Saturdays'...

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Lovely photo's of Scout Green this evening. I like the way the guard is just stood, without holding onto anything, in photo' J317, with Fairburn 42275. Excellent  and very atmospheric photo's of times which are now long gone. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Like the east Anglian photos interesting times for locos and services then have you seen the Dr Allan books lots of interesting shots ,the guard on Scout Green has perfect balance !

I bought the early Dr Ian C Allan books (at the time East Anglian Steam, East Anglian Branch Line Album and Diesels in East Anglia) when I lived in Essex, they helped me find some suitable locations to visit to take photos.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of Dent Head and Dent this evening. I particularly like the photo' J1316 of class 40 D320 on the up Waverly to St Pancras, June, 1968. It really is a classic view.

Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

David, the Fairburn in J317 is 42225. That was a Tebay engine - 42275 was shedded at Polmadie. I really like the shot of the "twin 50s" (C1199).

Thanks very much.  I'll admit I didn't look closely at the photo - I just copied Dad's notes!

Caption now amended.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

A visit to Swayfield, south of Stoke Tunnel on the ECML this evening.  Not a Deltic in sight.

post-5613-0-45023700-1409334725_thumb.jpg

Swayfield Class 46 190 up ex pass July 72 C0997

post-5613-0-26161000-1409334729_thumb.jpg

Swayfield Class 46 down parcels Jan 74 C1457

post-5613-0-14437200-1409334722_thumb.jpg

Swayfield Class 25 in green livery down parcels Jan 76 C2582

post-5613-0-77441200-1409334716_thumb.jpg

Swayfield 254006 up possibly crew training 30th May 78 C3877

This short set passed Swayfield several times that afternoon, it must only have been working between Grantham and Peterborough.

post-5613-0-48722700-1409334734_thumb.jpg

Swayfield Workmen Feb 83 C5949

In my notes for the day it says "Ultrasonic testing".  Is this correct?

David

• Like 18

Fantastic shot of the 25 with that marvellous rake of mostly SR vans! 1976? And still in green. Makes me feel old. And I was 9 then! *edit* apparently 25102 was the only outstanding 25/2 or 25/3 in two tone green in 1976, turning blue later that year......

Edited by balders
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Magnificent photo's of Swayfield. Interesting to see that the telegraph poles lasted to at least January, 1974, at Swayfield. I thought that they would have been replaced by then. In photo' C2582, January, 1976, the middle van is one of the 'Van B's, as modelled by Hornby. Almost certainly crew training for the HST, for everything had to be ready for the timetable change at the end of May, 1978, and the beginning of the end for the Deltics. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

A trip to Teesside this evening, mainly looking at freight trains.

post-5613-0-23130400-1409423684_thumb.jpg

Cargo Fleet 37064 & 37096 up freight 31st July 86 C7753

post-5613-0-19130100-1409423690_thumb.jpg

South Bank 37194 up freight 31st July 86 C7764

post-5613-0-49846000-1409423695_thumb.jpg

Grangetown 37515 down empties 20th Feb 88 C9344

post-5613-0-40143300-1409423700_thumb.jpg

Grangetown 56130 potash empties from docks 22nd Dec 96 24202

post-5613-0-90778500-1409423704_thumb.jpg

Grangetown 142026 Darlington to Redcar 22nd Dec 98 C24189

Davd

• Like 19