Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Good photo's of Teeside this evening. I like the one of South Bank, C7764, with an up freight, 31st, July, 1986. There's a lot to see in that photo' - the footbridge, the wooden platforms and industrial structures. Not forgetting 37 194. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

David,

The picture of Teddy Boston driving Fiery Elias past the church looks exactly like an illustration out of one of the original Thomas the Tank Engine books, when they rescued a traction engine from the scrapyard. Not surprising I suppose, bearing in mind his connection with the Rev Awdry.

The garden at Cadeby, to me at any rate, always had a sense of "loving disorganisation" about it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

David, your last post was lovely, and has to be one of my favourites. Your talk of races reminded me of the couple if times I went to Carrington Traction Engine rally, great days.

• Like 2

Splendid shots of Ted and Cadeby, David. I can testify to the easy going atmosphere there in the old days! We were driving a Lister of some sort up the Light Railway within 1/2 an hour of getting there. I was still living at home then and Mum was horrified at the state of me trousers when I got back. 

I thought the place was Boys' Own Heaven really - I couldn't believe it when I recognised Wilbert Awdry operating the model railway. We burrowed underneath to find that Ted had piles of early Hornby 0 gauge and even Bing Table Railway bits under the layout! The fun extended to Ted's discarded old car(s?) I do remember a Riley Kestrel shoved into the long grass at the bottom of the rectory garden, and covered in pigeon poo.   

• Like 2

This week's Sunday afternoon preserved railway is a very short line indeed.  It's 2 foot gauge and ran around three sides of a rectory garden in a U shape.

It's Rev Teddy Boston's line at Cadeby Rectory, in Leicestershire about six miles north of Hinckley.

Dad met Teddy at the Cambridge University Railway Club after the war, they kept in touch until Teddy died.  From time in the 60s and early 70s we used to visit him at Cadeby, often to run his GWR Olton Priors model railway as well as have rides behind Pixie.

We also used to meet him at Traction Engine Rallies and sometimes crewed for him, usually steering.  In those days there were Ladies steering races, musical chairs which involved jumping off traction engines and running across the field to chairs in the middle of the event ring, traction engine tug of war and so on.  They even had both "fast" and "slow" races.  This was before the days of Health and Safety, there were many ways accidents could have happened but they never seemed to.  I remember when I first learnt to steer (and drive) being shown very clearly how limited visibility is from the footplate of rollers and traction engines.  I don't think I'd like to steer a traction engine through a town in the rush hour nowadays as I did then.

attachicon.gifa Cadeby Bagnall 0-4-0ST Pixie Aug 63 J056.jpg

Cadeby Bagnall 0-4-0ST Pixie Aug 63 J056

attachicon.gifa Cadeby Bagnall 0-4-0ST Pixie being rerailed June 71 J2013.jpg

Cadeby Bagnall 0-4-0ST Pixie being rerailed June 71 J2013

attachicon.gifa Cadeby Baguley Petrol loco Lilleshall Aug 68 J1397.jpg

Cadeby Baguley Petrol loco Lilleshall Aug 68 J1397

attachicon.gifa Cadeby Orenstein and Koppel 0-4-0WT May 1974 J3678.jpg

Cadeby Orenstein and Koppel 0-4-0WT May 1974 J3678

attachicon.gifa Cadeby Foster Fiery Elias hauling Pixie from low loader back onto track Sept 70 J2295.jpg

Cadeby Foster Fiery Elias hauling Pixie from low loader back onto track Sept 70 J2295

Teddy owned both the Foster traction engine "Fiery Elias" and an Aveling and Porter steam roller "Thistledown".

I remember when he went to a friends to roll his driveway using Thistledown.  During the day we found out that the drains under the drive could not take Thistledown's weight and it became stuck, slowly settling into a hole where the drain had been. 

attachicon.gifa Cadeby Foster engine Fiery Elias J022.jpg

Cadeby Foster engine Fiery Elias J022

attachicon.gifa Cadeby Foster Fiery Elias and Aveling Porter Thistledown on rectory drive Sept 70 C458.jpg

Cadeby Foster Fiery Elias and Aveling Porter Thistledown on rectory drive Sept 70 C458

Teddy's main layout was very big and designed for operation, the main staion "Olton Prioirs" being based on Newton Abbott. There were also three branches to operate.  He also had a model based on the Southwold Railway, when I knew him well this was kept in his study.

attachicon.gifa Cadeby Olton Priors Teddy's 00 gauge layout Jan 79 J6382.jpg

Cadeby Olton Priors Teddy's 00 gauge layout Jan 79 J6382

Edited to make various minor corrections and additions.

David

Is taht a Premier Travel bus on the left of C458?

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is taht a Premier Travel bus on the left of C458?

Stewart

I'm not sure but here's a couple more photos showing bits of it if they are any help.

post-5613-0-24801100-1409511573_thumb.jpg

Cadeby Foster Fiery Elias on rectory drive Sept 70 C457

post-5613-0-91168400-1409511578_thumb.jpg

Cadeby Foster Fiery Elias on rectory drive Sept 70 C461

David

• Like 10

I'm not sure but here's a couple more photos showing bits of it if they are any help.

attachicon.gifa Cadeby Foster Fiery Elias on rectory drive Sept 70 C457.jpg

Cadeby Foster Fiery Elias on rectory drive Sept 70 C457

attachicon.gifa Cadeby Foster Fiery Elias on rectory drive Sept 70 C461.jpg

Cadeby Foster Fiery Elias on rectory drive Sept 70 C461

David

Thanks for the other pics, doesn't seem that it is. Another sadly missed transport name of yesteryear, in its distinctive 2 shades of blue livery, with paint especially mixed to the company spec apparently.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What a wonderful selection of photo's today. Great to see the Rev.Teddy Boston's garden line, and the traction engines. I remember Reading, and those photo's bring back many memories. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Good to see the Sowery Bridge photos Dave, I lived in Hebden for a few years about six years ago. Do you have any of Halifax? I've sometimes wondered what those coal drops were like when in full thresh. Although, that said, I've no idea when they stopped using them.

• RMweb Gold

Good to see the Sowery Bridge photos Dave, I lived in Hebden for a few years about six years ago. Do you have any of Halifax? I've sometimes wondered what those coal drops were like when in full thresh. Although, that said, I've no idea when they stopped using them.

I was just about to answer "Yes I've got photos of Halifax" when I thought I ought to check my catalogues.

I've found I haven't, I've often passed through but never actually got off the train there!  The only Halifax ones I've got are of the car park where Halifax North Bridge station was situated, now the leisure centre, which won't help you.  They were taken when I visited the Gauge 0 Guild show at the leisure centre about ten years ago.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Superb photo's of Sowerby Bridge this evening. I like the one of the class 110 DMU, to Leeds City from Liverpool Exchange, September, 1967. Incidently, a question about those units, was it pronouced class 'one ten' or 'one-one-o' ? It's one of the little things that's been puzzling me for goodness konws how long! I like photo' J1149, LMS 8F, 48111, same place and date. This one reminds me of the fact that in that year, same month, I saw the last steam hauled freight train to pass through Beverley, on the Hull to Bridlington line. Very nostalgic these photo's, also very atmospheric in the Mist as well. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

I was just about to answer "Yes I've got photos of Halifax" when I thought I ought to check my catalogues.

I've found I haven't, I've often passed through but never actually got off the train there!  The only Halifax ones I've got are of the car park where Halifax North Bridge station was situated, now the leisure centre, which won't help you.  They were taken when I visited the Gauge 0 Guild show at the leisure centre about ten years ago.

Ah, no problem, it was just idle musing. But I'd pay good money to see the back side of Wainfleet goods shed. That's the thing, your photos are brilliant, because they show the ordinary (on the day) as well as the extraordinary.

• RMweb Gold

A few taken today to look at this afternoon.  I happened to be in Cramlington, on the ECML north of Newcastle just before lunchtime to do some shopping in Maplins and stopped off at the station for just over half an hour.

These photos are a record of "what happened to come along".

post-5613-0-27734600-1409665990_thumb.jpg

Cramlington 156481 Morpeth to Newcastle 2nd September 2014 DSC_4007

post-5613-0-70839800-1409665995_thumb.jpg

Cramlington 156481 Morpeth to Newcastle 2nd September 2014 DSC_4008

post-5613-0-23619700-1409666000_thumb.jpg

Cramlington 156481 Morpeth to Newcastle 2nd September 2014 DSC_4009

Then I walked a short distance to the south to the recently rebuilt footbridge.

post-5613-0-98973200-1409666113_thumb.jpg 

Cramlington 142050 Newcastle to Morpeth 2nd September 2014 DSC_4015

post-5613-0-62398300-1409666013_thumb.jpg

Cramlington Class 221 up ex pass 2nd September 2014 DSC_4017

post-5613-0-81255500-1409666019_thumb.jpg

Cramlington Class 221 up ex pass 2nd September 2014 DSC_4018

I did see a 91 as well, but it was as I walked along, hidden by the trees.  Curses!

David

• Like 12

A few taken today to look at this afternoon.  I happened to be in Cramlington, on the ECML north of Newcastle just before lunchtime to do some shopping in Maplins and stopped off at the station for just over half an hour.

These photos are a record of "what happened to come along".

attachicon.gifCramlington 156481 Morpeth to Newcastle 2nd September 2014 DSC_4007.jpg

Cramlington 156481 Morpeth to Newcastle 2nd September 2014 DSC_4007

attachicon.gifCramlington 156481 Morpeth to Newcastle 2nd September 2014 DSC_4008.jpg

Cramlington 156481 Morpeth to Newcastle 2nd September 2014 DSC_4008

attachicon.gifCramlington 156481 Morpeth to Newcastle 2nd September 2014 DSC_4009.jpg

Cramlington 156481 Morpeth to Newcastle 2nd September 2014 DSC_4009

Then I walked a short distance to the south to the recently rebuilt footbridge.

attachicon.gifCramlington 142050 Newcastle to Morpeth 2nd September 2014 DSC_4015.jpg

Cramlington 142050 Newcastle to Morpeth 2nd September 2014 DSC_4015

attachicon.gifCramlington Class 221 up ex pass 2nd September 2014 DSC_4017.jpg

Cramlington Class 221 up ex pass 2nd September 2014 DSC_4017

attachicon.gifCramlington Class 221 up ex pass 2nd September 2014 DSC_4018.jpg

Cramlington Class 221 up ex pass 2nd September 2014 DSC_4018

I did see a 91 as well, but it was as I walked along, hidden by the trees.  Curses!

David

That super-elevation is really as I remember it- I remember almost dislocating a shoulder opening a door to get out of a Northbound DMU. Closing it after me was a bit of a job as well..