Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

I always felt the area around Trent Lock had a very special solitary feel to it. So close to Long Eaton, with Derby and Nottm not a million miles away too, yet it somehow (to me at least) had a tranquil detached aura about it.

It was even better when you arrived by boat.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave, hope all is well. Good selection of photo's of Bottesford today. The first one is particularly artistic, with that class 114 DMU through the window of, I think, the signal box. Also, just look at the weathering on the bogies etc., on the class 45, D128 in the second photo'. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Another great selection of photo's this evening of North Wales. A good photo' for modelling off is C7486, Holywell Junction, 19th, April, 1986. And then there is a class 40 with its multiple jumper cables removed in photo' C5710, at Penmaenmawr, July, 1982, with class 40, 40 158. Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

This evening a quick look at some of the smaller diesels which visited Carlisle 

post-5613-0-39691800-1410630292_thumb.jpg

Carlisle 08844 down trip goods 30th July 86 C7706

post-5613-0-30473800-1410630296_thumb.jpg

Carlisle 25288 up ballast to M&C 23rd Oct 84 C6631

post-5613-0-21483700-1410630300_thumb.jpg

Carlisle 26025 23rd Oct 84 C6628

post-5613-0-97812900-1410630303_thumb.jpg

Carlisle 31174 up match coaches for emu delivery Glasgow to Tyne Yard 30th July 86 C7721

post-5613-0-92604900-1410630582_thumb.jpg

Carlisle 31466 & 31445 detaching from ex pass to Stranraer 6th Aug 85 C7062

Edited to correct an elementary error of a train's direction of travel.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 19

Love the photo of the 25 with the whale ballast hopper.

Nicely spotted that it's a Whale. Didn't know they strayed that far from the Southern.

And why would a pair of 31s be on a train to Stranraer? Train from Newcastle, or a Settle-Carlisle diversion from the WCML changing over to a Scottish loco?

Nicely spotted that it's a Whale. Didn't know they strayed that far from the Southern.

And why would a pair of 31s be on a train to Stranraer? Train from Newcastle, or a Settle-Carlisle diversion from the WCML changing over to a Scottish loco?

The Southern got rid of the Whales by the early/mid 1980s, as they moved from being a fully-fitted (air or vac) region, to being air-only. The Whales were somewhat fragile, I believe, and prone to sag in the middle (I know how they feel..); this may be the first one I've seen with a straight solebar. The Plate bogies also meant they were speed-restricted in later days, I believe, which made them a nuisance on loaded runs from Meldon to the south-east.

• RMweb Gold

As far as I remember the Stranraer train had come down the WCML, other trains were electric hauled so I don't know why it had the 31s.

David

A visit to Damdykes this evening on the ECML north of Newcastle. The location has changed a lot over the years as Cramlington has expanded and woodland has grown, but good views are still available. There is parking space by the level crossing.

attachicon.gifi Damdykes Class 45 down ex pass Aug 80 C5126.jpg

Damdykes Class 45 down ex pass Aug 80 C5126

This view is no longer available as the area on the left is now a wood.

superb shots at a favourite spotting location many a Summer evening in the eighties.

attachicon.gif i Damdykes Class 101 Morpeth to Newcastle Aug 80 C5127.jpg

Damdykes Class 101 Morpeth to Newcastle Aug 80 C5127

attachicon.gifi Damdykes 55015 Tulyar down special The Scotsman Farewell Farewell Kings X to Edinburgh 2nd Jan 82 C5612.jpg

Damdykes 55015 Tulyar down special The Scotsman Farewell Kings X to Edinburgh 2nd Jan 82 C5612

At the time I didn't think I'd ever see a Deltic on the main line again.

attachicon.gifi Damdykes Class 31 up ballast Dec 82 C5885.jpg

Damdykes Class 31 up ballast Dec 82 C5885

The area behind the train is now a green field with the houses beyond which gives good views in the morning.

attachicon.gifi Damdykes Class 43 Edinburgh to Kings X 22nd Jan 84 C6393.jpg

Damdykes Class 43 Edinburgh to Kings X 22nd Jan 84 C6393

David

Edited by blueeighties

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photo's posted today. Always good to see the Ffestiniog Railway, thank you for posting those photo's. The photo's of Ipswich: J4283, May,  1975, the class 105 DMU is one of those which was transferred from Hull in the later '60's. And in C3566, October, 1975, with a class 47, and a class 105, the other DMU is a class 100 as built by the Gloucester RC&W Co.,  Please keep the photo's coming.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

I have tried to edit my above post 3 times now to no avail, just wanted to say thanks for the wonderful Dam Dykes shots, a favourite spotting location many a Summer evening in the eighties.

Many thanks for the comment.  I still quite often visit Damdykes, usually when the weather doesn't make me want to go further afield.

I know the feeling about editing!  I encountered an odd problem this afternoon when posting today's photos and ended up starting again from scratch.  At least I was able to delete the post and replace it - fortunately I noticed what had happened before anyone had a chance to look at it.

David

Like the Ipswich photos the 47.s looked disgusting and often when you looked in the cab that  was always deeply unsanitary the dmu in the bay platform is a Whickam and was quite luxurious compared to a 105.Have you eaten at Sea Salt in Amble very good right up in the Gazette?

• RMweb Gold

Like the Ipswich photos the 47.s looked disgusting and often when you looked in the cab that  was always deeply unsanitary the dmu in the bay platform is a Whickam and was quite luxurious compared to a 105.Have you eaten at Sea Salt in Amble very good right up in the Gazette?

Many thanks for the comments on the Ipswich photos.

Sea Salt is on my list of places to visit for a meal - I've read the review too.   Amble is a very different place now compared to a few years ago.

David