Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Out of curiosity, from C1637 are both shunter and coach still in existence?

Apparently the carriage is now at Embsay.

See here: http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=828 and here: http://www.statelytrains.com/a-special-saloon.shtml

D2381 was at Carnforth a couple of years ago - I don't know whether it's still there.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photo's today. Love those of High Dyke and the ironstone lines. I think the saloon is now on the NYMR. The photo's of the ECML show a good selection of trains - especially the class 56's.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave, just a quick correction to the caption on C1420, the left hand loco isn't an Avonside, it's Bagnall 2680/1942 Birchenwood No.3, now running as 'Courageous' at the Ribble Railway.

Thanks Nigel.

When I typed up the caption from my notes I thought it wasn't quite right!

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A terrific set of photo's posted tonight. Particularly it is good to see the combination of a Midland Railway box and North Eastern design of crossing gates at Steeton and Silsden in J410. Then in photo' J906, there is also a class 108 DMU as well as the class 101 at Gargrave in May, 1967, and it is good to see the rear car of the 108 in BR Rail Blue at this date.

All the best,

Market65.

Some Midland photos tonight, heading north from Keighley at various dates.

attachicon.gifi Gargrave Class 101 Leeds to Skipton May 67 J906.jpg

Gargrave Class 101 Leeds to Skipton May 67 J906

David

Not only is the rear 108 MBS in blue as mentioned by Market65 above but the double arrow appears to be on the drivers door, which usually indicated at that time that it had a small yellow warning panel on the front. There are quite a few photos of 108's in use around that area and on the S & C in that livery around 1967/8.

Paul J.

Edited to clarify post as I'd missed something out.

Edited by Swindon 123

• RMweb Gold

Roadrailers shot alone is fantastic! How often did they appear?

Phil

There were a very small number of trial runs on the ECML - the fingers of one hand or fewer?

Dad just happened to be there at the right time.

David

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Insider information or very lucky?

We are so used to gen on mobiles these days but of course nothing like that then - things just turned up!

Phil

Pure luck.  At the time we assumed it was a regular working, it is only recently I realised how lucky we were to see it.

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. You have indeed been so lucky to have seen the Roadrailers. A truly remarkable photo', and thank you for posting it. In the last photo', C1690, at Grantham,on 27th July,1974, is  a great view of a class 40 running at speed through the station. Overall a tremendous set of ECML photo's.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like tonight's photo's of Paddington. In particular, there is a great portrait of class 50, 50032 Courageous, on 27th, July,1988, in photo' C9587. In the last photo', I see no fewer than six HST's.

All the best,

Market65.

• Like 1

4N22 was the Saturdays Only 1155 Temple Meads to Tees Yard. It is shown as 5N22 in the 1968/69 WTT, but the ER in those days had a habit of changing the first headcode classification depending on the make up of the train.

Edited: to add that the driver was probably very pleased on that day, because the train was normally booked to run on the slow line from Werrington Junction to Stoke but has been left on the fast line on this occasion.

Edited even further to say that in a fit of over confidence I would say that the photo was taken on 14th Sept 1968. It certainly was not either the 21st or 28th, as they were cloudy, wet and windy. There is a possibility it could be the 7th, but the high clouds in the distance look a little unstable in character which fits with the weather pattern for the 14th.

I'm on a roll now. 1A40 was the 1500 Kings Cross to Newcastle. The sky does look meteorologically similar to the 4N22 photo, and I would guess this photo was taken on the same day but about 35 minutes later.

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Gold

4N22 was the Saturdays Only 1155 Temple Meads to Tees Yard. It is shown as 5N22 in the 1968/69 WTT, but the ER in those days had a habit of changing the first headcode classification depending on the make up of the train.

Edited: to add that the driver was probably very pleased on that day, because the train was normally booked to run on the slow line from Werrington Junction to Stoke but has been left on the fast line on this occasion.

Edited even further to say that in a fit of over confidence I would say that the photo was taken on 14th Sept 1968. It certainly was not either the 21st or 28th, as they were cloudy, wet and windy. There is a possibility it could be the 7th, but the high clouds in the distance look a little unstable in character which fits with the weather pattern for the 14th.

I'm on a roll now. 1A40 was the 1500 Kings Cross to Newcastle. The sky does look meteorologically similar to the 4N22 photo, and I would guess this photo was taken on the same day but about 35 minutes later.

jonny 777,

Thanks very much indeed for the train identifications.

The date you suggest could well be right too.

I know I was there as I took a photo of the 47 at Corby Glen, it so it was just before I went to Manchester.

David

Hello David,

The intriguing thing is, do you have any more photos from that day?

The reason that 4N22 was normally switched to the slow line was to allow 1A38, the 1420 Kings Cross to York, to overtake.  Maybe 4N22 was running late and had been overtaken at Peterborough? However, if this was the case and your father knew the timetable, it would be a bit of a risk to move even the short distance to Corby Glen and maybe miss 1A27, the 1300 Newcastle to Kings Cross in the opposite direction; which was due in the up direction between 1A38 and 1A40.