Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

This enlargement of the photo with the Class 44 may make it a little easier to see.

attachicon.gifDetail from Toton 20176 up breakdown train, 47170 up coal Oct 77 C3614.jpg

Detail from Toton 20176 up breakdown train, 47170 up coal Oct 77 C3614

The 44 can be seen halfway up  the lamp post 

David

...and a bad bit of driving that was... :)

Edited by talisman56

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like tonight's photo's, and the first one, J4051, at Steeton and Silsden, with a class 111 DMU, is a good classic shot. Those of Kildwick show how things can change over the years, the LC being but one example. In photo' C6223, at Kildwick, August, 1983, the unit is a class 111, the battery boxes are slightly smaller and 'smoother' than on a class 101, and the radiator is larger. Also, that particular 111 is one of those which has had one engine removed from each car - you can see the space from where the engine was on the DMBS. Therefore the unit will have been renumbered in a 78xxx series instead  of the original 5xxxx series. (The first generation DMU's have a very involved history!). :)

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

Love the pic of the 101 at burntisland - just wondering how the links is completely deserted on a sunny august day! Quite often there would be a funfair and even if there wasn't, the links and beach would be packed.

Great to see pics from my neck of the woods - thank you!

I remember the funfair well, during the 70s when I was around 12 dad used to drive us to Burntisland to visit an elderly distant relative, from what I can remember she lived in a very big stone built apartment type of building just a few yards from the funfair.

After we arrived it was a quick 'hello' then myself and my cousin dashed out, money in hand to the funfair!

There always seemed to be Class 20s trundling through the station back then......what it was to be young!

• RMweb Gold

Some more photos of the Keighley and Worth Valley in its early preservation days for this afternoon.

This one was taken before the railway re opened.

post-5613-0-47469900-1423406499_thumb.jpg

Haworth Peckett NW Gas Board Sept 67 J1152

I always thought it was a shame that the LMS didn't paint all it's engines crimson!  I think it suits the Ivatts.

I might be a bit biased as I model the Midland Railway.

post-5613-0-33666000-1423406507_thumb.jpg

Oxenhope 41241 running round July 68 J1346

post-5613-0-05751200-1423406491_thumb.jpg

Oakworth 41241 entering station July 68 J1373

post-5613-0-44825900-1423406503_thumb.jpg

Haworth railbus ecs Sept 69 J1968

post-5613-0-19461500-1423406495_thumb.jpg

Haworth No 63 Keighley to Oxenhope Sept 69 J1982

The clerestory coach was the volunteer accommodation at the time.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I note that 90529 at Toton carries dual lamp irons for standard and Wiltshire lamps. Not sure why it's displaying Class B lamp code though.

The other steam photos I have of light engines at Toton have the normal light engine headcode, 1 lamp on the central lamp iron on the footplate.  I've often wondered about it and had hoped someone might see it and have a good explanation!

There is nothing in the Sectional Appendix about any local lamp use.

David

I have just spent an hour or so catching up with this thread, lovely photos as always Dave.

The additional comments and anecdotes have added to an enjoyable afternoon, so thanks also to everyone who has added their little bit

cheers

• RMweb Gold

Those early preservation shots always fascinate me, what were they thinking about with liveries? Just look at that railbus! The north Norfolk were no better they painted theirs brown. A mate of mine who was a volunteer on the NNR at this time likened them to little turds swimming through the countryside!!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What excellent photo's. Really love those of the Keighley and Worth Valley line in it's early years - yes, I like the Ivatt 2-6-2T in crimson as well. Then on the Midland mainline, J3497, is such a great photo' of class 31, 5634, on a ballast train, with several types of ballast wagon to be seen. J1387 has to be a rare photo' of a complete three car class 105 Cravens DMU in blue in August, 1968.

All the best,

Market65.

Edited by Market65

• RMweb Premium

I always thought it was a shame that the LMS didn't paint all it's engines crimson!  I think it suits the Ivatts.

I might be a bit biased as I model the Midland Railway.

Agreed - It really suited Dr Beet's "little red engine" 46441 -

I made it in model form from a Crownline kit and a much hacked Hornby model.

Do you have any pics of 46441 in crimson?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Some more photos on the Midland for this evening.  We are back in the days of BR blue.

This time we are heading north from Leicester.  

The first two were taken on the way back to Nottingham after Dad and I had been to Birmingham International to visit the Motor Show.

attachicon.gifa Leicester 45121 with white stripe St Pancras to Derby Oct 80 J7278.jpg

Leicester 45121 with white stripe St Pancras to Derby Oct 80 J7278

attachicon.gifa Leicester Class 45 up ex pass Oct 80 C5218.jpg

David

Those first two Peaks bring back memories as I started at Leicester Poly in Sept/October 1980.

• RMweb Gold

J1983, the correct loco number is 63.  'Ugly' class.  My mate and boss used to own 62!

Many thanks for pointing that out, I've altered the number.

Agreed - It really suited Dr Beet's "little red engine" 46441 -

I made it in model form from a Crownline kit and a much hacked Hornby model.

Do you have any pics of 46441 in crimson?

Cheers,

Mick

Probably, I'll have a look.

Will these two do for now, I do have quite a lot more when I get round to working on them?

post-5613-0-64206000-1423432497_thumb.jpg

Bury Bolton Street 46441 31st July 96 C21109

post-5613-0-70916600-1423432504_thumb.jpg

Ramsbottom 46441 31st July 96 C21102

David

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I really like tonight's photo's. The first one with the WD 2-8-0 is a classic view of the steam age coal train - the WD is well weathered as was usually the case. Then in the last photo' at Grantham, you have a well weathered green class 31,5674.

All the best,

Market65.

The WD appears to be on the up fast, which is rather unusual.

I bet the driver is feeling really privileged, but maybe the guard will be in for a bumpy ride if the driver pretends he is on an A3.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice selection of subjects again Dave!

What was the reason for the brake van, I take it it was regularly used with the 08 so they didn't bother to couple it to shunt the passenger stock?

Note the Sprinter has a pale blue band above the first window, presumably to denote the lockable storage area?

• RMweb Gold

Nice selection of subjects again Dave!

What was the reason for the brake van, I take it it was regularly used with the 08 so they didn't bother to couple it to shunt the passenger stock?

Note the Sprinter has a pale blue band above the first window, presumably to denote the lockable storage area?

I've no idea about the brake van, does anyone else know?

As far as I know the blue band over the window is indeed the lockable storage area - but I've hardly ever ridden on a 150 as they don't appear in my part of the world.

David

Edited by DaveF