The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

I think you missed my point. Locomotion Models are partners in this first effort by Rapido Trains in the UK market. So you would think they would have made sure the resources were there to provide a good customer experience. I'm not aiming at any targets, I'm just raising a valid point so that maybe Rapido Trains and Locomotion Models can fix the problem the next time around.

This is Locomotion's project, not Rapido's. Locomotion is a small shop operation within a cash-strapped national museum. Rapido is 3,000 miles away and is, itself, a tiny operation with just half a dozen staff. The NRM has teetered on the brink of having to lay off staff or close for more days a week than it is open. Taking on extra resources would be out of the question. If we want these incredibly brave, bold initiatives from such organisations, we need to give them credit for taking the risk and have patience with them over deliveries. We're not talking Amazon here!

• Like 1

What would you suggest as a better solution to the logistics?

How much will your solution cost?

How are the costs going to be met?

Oh and hiring in a dozen people for a couple of weeks is a non starter unless you are happy for your new models to be used as football's!

Not do everything manually... Simply integrating the ordering system that they have into the API that UPS offers would allow them to hit a single button and produce not just the shipping labels but also the customs documentation for international orders. Most ecommerce systems do this out of the box, very likely theirs just hasn't been setup properly. Even if it didn't support it, integrating with the UPS is very easy for any competent software engineer, maybe two hours of work at the most. Its something that you'd pay for once and have a lot less work for not just one set of models but all models you ship out in the future.

From what I've heard it sounds like the small staff at Locomotion are being worked to the bone doing things manually that could be easily fixed with a bit of automation. All the data is there in their ordering system, its just not being used effectively.. Which is why its a bit frustrating to be honest..

• RMweb Premium

I took these photos at Shildon in April 2009, might be useful...

Edit: Thank you to Kit (his post below) for the caption details

- Richard.

Photo A - TC2 with one of the E1T bogies

post-14389-0-67449900-1460306700_thumb.jpg

Photo B - TC1 with the only Swinging Arm bogie

post-14389-0-33348400-1460306717_thumb.jpg

Edited by 47137
  • Like 3

• Administrators

Not do everything manually... Simply integrating the ordering system that they have into the API that UPS offers would allow them to hit a single button and produce not just the shipping labels but also the customs documentation for international orders. Most ecommerce systems do this out of the box, very likely theirs just hasn't been setup properly. Even if it didn't support it, integrating with the UPS is very easy for any competent software engineer, maybe two hours of work at the most. Its something that you'd pay for once and have a lot less work for not just one set of models but all models you ship out in the future.

From what I've heard it sounds like the small staff at Locomotion are being worked to the bone doing things manually that could be easily fixed with a bit of automation. All the data is there in their ordering system, its just not being used effectively.. Which is why its a bit frustrating to be honest..

So, based on zero information about the NRM technology, you have found a solution - one that presumably you personally have the expertise to implement.

Of course, you assume that UPS would win the tender for delivery (yes there would have to be one, it's the law) and that all you'll be able to hire just 2 hours of software developers time (doubt there will be in-house expertise for this) and a project manager to stick it all together.

Having said this, both the NRM and Locomotion use volunteers, so as someone with all the skills and qualifications to do this work, why don't you offer your services? It would look great on the CV and it is only 2 hours work...

3 years ago, if you'd asked anyone if they fancied a modestly priced APT-E ready to run then they would have jumped for joy. Ask them if they would mind waiting a month from the models arriving at the docks to delivery and they would have said no. Tell them there would be tantrums because the NRM doesn't have an Amazon style fulfilment system and they would have laughed.

In a couple of months time, the models will all be in eager hands. Many will be tucked away in cupboards while their owners eye up even newer toys. We waited 40 years for this model, a few days more won't kill anyone.

• Like 7

I took these photos at Shildon in April 2009, might be useful... if someone would be good enough to tell me which car is which I can edit the captions to suit.

- Richard.

Photo A

attachicon.gifDSCF2163.jpg

Photo B

attachicon.gifDSCF2166.jpg

Photo A is TC2, the one with the instrumentation inside it, with an E1T bogie in the foreground. PC1 is in the far distance.

Photo B is TC1, the one with the VIP compartment inisde it, with the only Swinging Arm bogie in the foreground.

They are still in the same position today, but in 2009 we still hadn't been able to do any work on the train as there was no workshop facility at Shildon at the time. Today they look a lot better and have access steps and galleries on the vehicle ends.

Edited by Mr_Tilt

So, based on zero information about the NRM technology, you have found a solution - one that presumably you personally have the expertise to implement.

Of course, you assume that UPS would win the tender for delivery (yes there would have to be one, it's the law) and that all you'll be able to hire just 2 hours of software developers time (doubt there will be in-house expertise for this) and a project manager to stick it all together.

Having said this, both the NRM and Locomotion use volunteers, so as someone with all the skills and qualifications to do this work, why don't you offer your services? It would look great on the CV and it is only 2 hours work...

3 years ago, if you'd asked anyone if they fancied a modestly priced APT-E ready to run then they would have jumped for joy. Ask them if they would mind waiting a month from the models arriving at the docks to delivery and they would have said no. Tell them there would be tantrums because the NRM doesn't have an Amazon style fulfilment system and they would have laughed.

In a couple of months time, the models will all be in eager hands. Many will be tucked away in cupboards while their owners eye up even newer toys. We waited 40 years for this model, a few days more won't kill anyone.

You've taken the very words out of my mouth...........  :D

It's very easy to wise after the event, especially from a distance.

I've had similar comments from people who know LOTS more than me about tilt systems, or so they said. But of course they had zero experience of such things in the 70s as no-one had back then.

Bet im the first one on the forum to post that ive worn my APT-E out, I've had my sound version for a couple of weeks now and ran it for the first time on Friday, since then it has run superbly and I'm delighted with it, so far it's proberbly run the equivalent to the moon and back !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Why does anybody care about what order the models are posted out?  It will arrive when it arrives. Only a few weeks difference between the first one and the last one so what's the problem?

On the other hand if the biggest criticism of a new model is the order they went into the post...

• Like 2

Well, I've had a chance to play with mine.

I noticed on TC1 there was a bit of light leaking along the bodyside.  On close inspection it appears that the upper body is not correctly fitted into the lower over its central section, the upper is proud by almost a mm.  Not much I know, but it shows.

The "Do Not Pass Go" booklet says that refitting the body is not easy, mine does not respond to a (moderately) firm squeeze.

Any ideas?

Try taking the top half of the body shell off and re-fitting it.

If you take both bogies off and then insert your thumbnail into the gap at the Joint Module end you can lever the sides out and then slide your nail along the body it will unclip. You'll probably need to do both sides separately and then the whole thing comes off. Re-align it and press down and in and it should go back on again, I've done it to my TC2 about half a dozen times at my local club,  just to show them the insides.  :D

Many thanks, Kit.  Unfortunately the play room model railway room has been taken over as a party room.  So it will have to wait until next month before I'll get a chance to fix it.

Meanwhile earlier today I had an email about my car insurance...  policy number seems to be appropriate...  ;)

post-1762-0-71472500-1460311137_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm just raising a valid point

I don't feel it's valid at all and I'd be more comfortable if you stopped going on about it; not that I think Locomotion would pay it much credence but it's a bit off-putting to criticise them for such a matter.

If I were to order an exclusive product from a US-based retailer I wouldn't be expecting to get mine at the same time or even before buyers closer to home.

I think you missed my point. Locomotion Models are partners in this first effort by Rapido Trains in the UK market. So you would think they would have made sure the resources were there to provide a good customer experience. I'm not aiming at any targets, I'm just raising a valid point so that maybe Rapido Trains and Locomotion Models can fix the problem the next time around.

perhaps they should have just produced one, that would be fast, but 1999 unhappy prospective purchasers :O :jester:

I don't feel it's valid at all and I'd be more comfortable if you stopped going on about it; not that I think Locomotion would pay it much credence but it's a bit off-putting to criticise them for such a matter.

If I were to order an exclusive product from a US-based retailer I wouldn't be expecting to get mine at the same time or even before buyers closer to home.

All I'm saying is that a few tweaks to their e-commerce system, the hard working folks at Locomotion would have a lot less work load and customers would know exactly what the status of their order is. They can take that feedback and do what they want with it. I've made the comment and I'm done talking about it.

Brought to you by the nation that gives us Donald Trump. .....a diplomatic tour de force.Bravo,Andy.

Actually I'm from the UK, just happen to be living in the USA... don't worry I don't think Trump will get very far... if he does though you might want to stock up on Iodine tablets :O

Many thanks, Kit.  Unfortunately the play room model railway room has been taken over as a party room.  So it will have to wait until next month before I'll get a chance to fix it.

Best of luck with it. I've taken some pics of the process to show what I mean, see below. Both TCs and PCs come apart in a similar way, just the length of the PCs makes it seem more difficult.

QdCPRS.jpg

Step 1, push the side out with a finger

Vsq6lF.jpg

Step 2, slide your thumbnail into the slot thus revealed

pTNO6M.jpg

Step 3, slide your thumbnail down the length of the body and the side should unclip.

You may need to do each separately, but sometimes it pops off with just one side un-clipped.

I have a brilliant idea, don't announce a new model, don't take pre-orders, don't tell anyone a price, don't tell any one they have arrived, pack 2000 models with the stamps already on,  pay your supplier the whole 300K before you try and sell them.  THEN you advertise the train, sit there and hope someone wants it!!!!

Now that a way to go bust, BUT your service is second no none!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Charlie    

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I was very impressed with the running of this model today and although my layout is pure dc a few of the functions worked.The lengthy start up procedure and lights for two.Generous curves helped for looking more of a quality model and less toy like.

post-126-0-67576900-1460319789_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-42197100-1460319815_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-21481100-1460319836_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-66017900-1460319860_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-67576900-1460319789_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-42197100-1460319815_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-21481100-1460319836_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-66017900-1460319860_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Today my APT-E made it to Germany. Actually it was the Crawley clubs German layout at their show over the weekend.

Thanks for letting me run it.

EDIT

I really would like to have run it over Balcombe Viaduct but that layout is P4. A very impressive looking layout that will be superb once its finished.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 7

All I'm saying is that a few tweaks to their e-commerce system, the hard working folks at Locomotion would have a lot less work load and customers would know exactly what the status of their order is. They can take that feedback and do what they want with it. I've made the comment and I'm done talking about it.

Its a pity you didnt offer this 'advice' a few months ago isnt it!

• Like 1

Paid the balance late last Sunday. Arrived on Wednesday. No complaints about service from me as I wasn't expecting it that quickly. :sungum:

Not really had a chance to check it properly yet though. Especially as I don't currently have a layout and the only controller I have is DC. A good Gaugemaster one though, I have flicked through the instructions about using "train set controllers". So I'll have to set up a length of track sometime in the week.

I bought the DCC sound version as I wanted it future proof. It was the future when I was growing up after all. :)

Many thanks to all involved, Jason.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm done talking about it.

TFFT.

For those wondering what TFFT means.

T - Thanks

Second F - for

Second T - that.

I'll let your imagination fill in the first F

Cheers,

Mick