Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see footage of something moving......  I hope there's no buffet service on that DMU service!

Is that pack of cards shown the one which contains 6 aces? :O

Hi Kier

The buffet car is in the four car 101. Along with a TBS, all three of my NE 4 car units , Derby , Met Cam and BRCW have a TBS not just an extra coach added for length. I could re-marshal one of my three cars units to make a late batch 4 car 101 (or 102 as they were built with Leyland engines) with DMBS/TC(L)/TC(L)/DMC(L), it would be right but look like I have just added a coach.

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see footage of something moving......  I hope there's no buffet service on that DMU service!

The buffet car is in the four car 101.

I think Kier was referring to the rather rapid acceleration, the rush through the throat, and the sudden stop...

I know I was.

• RMweb Premium

I think Kier was referring to the rather rapid acceleration, the rush through the throat, and the sudden stop...

I know I was.

Hi Simon

I don't think I done too bad trying to film and drive at the same time. It was the first time I have tried videoing and I was brave enough to share it with you all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon

I don't think I done too bad trying to film and drive at the same time. It was the first time I have tried videoing and I was brave enough to share it with you all.

Hi

I tried that with my Pendolino, it didn’t end well. I’m going to stick to still photography.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Kier

The buffet car is in the four car 101. Along with a TBS, all three of my NE 4 car units , Derby , Met Cam and BRCW have a TBS not just an extra coach added for length. I could re-marshal one of my three cars units to make a late batch 4 car 101 (or 102 as they were built with Leyland engines) with DMBS/TC(L)/TC(L)/DMC(L), it would be right but look like I have just added a coach.

Whoosh..... in more ways than one. :boast:  As I said before, it's good to see something moving, even if I did spill my coffee!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon

It wasn’t a criticism, just an observation. Do you have any form of inertia simulation on your controllers, or are they simple and direct?

(In DCC world, the inertia simulation information is stored on the decoder. I thought I’d mention that before some else chimed in - it’s just a statement of difference between the two, not an argument either way.*)

* Although it is another distinction between driving the track, and driving the train. He said. Innocently...

• RMweb Gold

I am thinking of setting up a crowd-funding exercise.......as so many people want to see me operate my model with DCC I only think it fair that they contribute.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• RMweb Gold

I am thinking of setting up a crowd-funding exercise.......as so many people want to see me operate my model with DCC I only think it fair that they contribute.

I know the room is fairly big, but once tickets are purchased where would the audience sit to watch such a piece of performance art? I can only think that is what you mean with the above statement. :senile:

I watched the video and that got me wondering about your plans for scenary on the layout and how far will the stretch in either direction once things get past the station throat?

Hi Cheesy

The concept is mainly passenger. I do realise that Sheffield was a very important location for freight not only the heavy industry that use to be found but also finished products in and out of the city. The bridge that will form the end of the scenic section will have the offices entrance etc to the goods yard to reflect the importance of freight. There simply isn't the room for a goods handing facility.

As for freight trains circulating the room, who knows what the future will bring. I don't have much freight stock, not much was needed on my depot layouts. In fact I have more class 24s than 16 ton minerals.

I believe you need this: https://www.peco-uk.com/imageselector/Files/Parkside%20Wagon%20Leaflet%202017%20copy.pdf

And this http://cambrianmodels.co.uk/wagon_kits_4mm.html

The Ratio wagon kits are quite decent.

The good news is that in your period you can justify pretty well everything in the Parkside catalogue, including a few clapped out unpainted RCH PO wagons

The Airfix BR brake builds up very respectably, and you can probably run to one of the new Hornby short Toad E for speed 

Bolsters and Plates in quantity are probably a necessity , though I would recommend compensated etched W-Irons on anything with a wheelbase as long as a Plate (Mine's a little touch and go despite a large "plate" of lead in it)

Avoid the Parkside "fitted" 16T - it's fiction - but the Parkside 16T are easier than the ex Airfix ones, and should have a flat floor underneath to which you can araldite lead sheet. They are currently about £8.50 a go , as opposed to £15-16 for Bachmann RTR

• RMweb Premium

I believe you need this: https://www.peco-uk.com/imageselector/Files/Parkside%20Wagon%20Leaflet%202017%20copy.pdf

The good news is that in your period you can justify pretty well everything in the Parkside catalogue, including a few clapped out unpainted RCH PO wagons

The Airfix BR brake builds up very respectably, and you can probably run to one of the new Hornby short Toad E for speed 

Bolsters and Plates in quantity are probably a necessity , though I would recommend compensated etched W-Irons on anything with a wheelbase as long as a Plate (Mine's a little touch and go despite a large "plate" of lead in it)

Avoid the Parkside "fitted" 16T - it's fiction - but the Parkside 16T are easier than the ex Airfix ones, and should have a flat floor underneath to which you can araldite lead sheet. They are currently about £8.50 a go , as opposed to £15-16 for Bachmann RTR

Over the years I have built most of the Parkside range, and quite a few Cambrian, many have found their way to friends layouts or the bin. I do have a collection of vans and merchandise opens, enough for a train or two. I did have over 30 odd 16 ton minerals including some Airfix ones with clasp brake gear I scratchbuilt, both fitted and one unfitted, from the batch that were going to be fitted but in the end were not. I had some riveted ones as well, sold them on the secondhand stall at DEMU Showcase one year. The Parkside fitted 16 ton is OK for post 66 when 5000 were rebuilt with fitted Morton brake gear.

I like the Airfix brake van, I have built as the kit, as an unfitted one, as a LNER one without the concrete platforms and short steps, and a early BR one with the short steps. I like the Bachmann model as well, not sure if I have  Hornby one. I have some SR brake vans Cambrian and Bachmann, to go with them I have a Queen Mary. I think I only have one LMS and one GWR Brake vans, I know I have a LNER Toad B, the Parkside model. Hanging Hill was quite use to having a brake van special full of puffer nutters arrive now and then. 

As for tank wagons, I must have 60 to 70. I only wanted 6 or so for my depot but they are really interesting and the variety of types is fantastic. All Esso or Shell-BP, some are scratchbuilt.

I even have a short train of Trouts, Dogfish and Catfish with a Shark brake van.....and a brass built LNER Ballast Brake van.

If I do run any freight trains they will circulate only and once I have run them with a variety of locomotives put the wagons back in the box.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I know the room is fairly big, but once tickets are purchased where would the audience sit to watch such a piece of performance art? I can only think that is what you mean with the above statement. :senile:

I watched the video and that got me wondering about your plans for scenary on the layout and how far will the stretch in either direction once things get past the station throat?

Hi Steve

Scenery, just the station at the moment, I think that will be several years worth of modelling. I intend to build all the passengers and station staff myself.

• RMweb Premium

You intend to 'build' the passengers and staff ?

Can you explain a bit more, please.

Ok Old photos

post-16423-0-02640500-1524434816.jpg

Tools and materials required, craft knife, plastic card, pencil, cup of water and Milliput

post-16423-0-04466300-1524434891.jpg

Using a commercial figure for height, mark top of head, shoulders and where the naughty bits are on the plastic card.

post-16423-0-32863800-1524434966.jpg

Mix a small amount of Milliput and roll into a sausage.

post-16423-0-70281300-1524435053.jpg

With the craft knife start to make a person shape, I only make the front at this stage.

post-16423-0-70940200-1524435105.jpg

Slowly the person looks more human

post-16423-0-91843100-1524435150.jpg

With the knife point start to shape the face, I dip the knife in the water as it makes teh Milliput easier to work.

post-16423-0-78114700-1524435280.jpg

Nose and mouth

post-16423-0-03094200-1524435312.jpg

using some of the cut off Milliput, I have started to dress our person.

post-16423-0-82767300-1524435371.jpg

She has now been given some shopping and her handbag. Again from the excess Milliput.

At this stage she is allowed to set.

I still have some usable Milliput

So I start to finish her friend who was started a few days before.

post-16423-0-69795100-1524435533.jpg

The plastic card is peeled of her back.

post-16423-0-51107500-1524435570.jpg

She is turned over to build up her back.

post-16423-0-38594700-1524435624.jpg

She is now becoming a whole person.

post-16423-0-68318000-1524435670.jpg

Ready for a days shopping in the big city.

post-16423-0-00781100-1524435705.jpg

I can do blokes as well.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Ok Old photos

attachicon.gifclivespeps1.jpg

Tools and materials required, craft knife, plastic card, pencil, cup of water and Milliput

attachicon.gifclivepeps2.jpg

Using a commercial figure for height, mark top of head, shoulders and where the naughty bits are on the plastic card.

attachicon.gifclivepeps3.jpg

attachicon.gifclivepeps4.jpg

With the craft knife start to make a person shape, I only make the front at this stage.

attachicon.gifclivepeps5.jpg

attachicon.gifclivepeps6.jpg

With the knife point start to shape the face, I dip the knife in the water as it makes teh Milliput easier to work.

attachicon.gifclivepeps7.jpg

Nose and mouth

attachicon.gifclivepeps8.jpg

attachicon.gifclivepeps9.jpg

She has now been given some shopping and her handbag. Again from the excess Milliput.

attachicon.gifclivepeps10.jpg

attachicon.gifclivepeps11.jpg

attachicon.gifclivepeps12.jpg

attachicon.gifclivepeps13.jpg

attachicon.gifclivepeps14.jpg

I can do blokes as well.

Until I read on and realised that the model was from the distaff side, I thought that photo 3 was an enlargement of the naughty bits.

• Like 1

Ok Old photos

attachicon.gifclivespeps1.jpg

attachicon.gifclivepeps2.jpg

attachicon.gifclivepeps3.jpg

attachicon.gifclivepeps4.jpg

attachicon.gifclivepeps5.jpg

attachicon.gifclivepeps6.jpg

attachicon.gifclivepeps7.jpg

Nose and mouth

attachicon.gifclivepeps8.jpg

attachicon.gifclivepeps9.jpg

attachicon.gifclivepeps10.jpg

attachicon.gifclivepeps11.jpg

attachicon.gifclivepeps12.jpg

attachicon.gifclivepeps13.jpg

attachicon.gifclivepeps14.jpg

I can do blokes as well.

THAT deserves a LOT MORE than a simple Craftsman Clever mate. :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  can you do Dogs and Cats? :no:  :no: 

• RMweb Premium

So how big is your opivisor now? I think with the aging eyesight these will be more blobby as you get older.

Failing eyesight and blobby figures don't really matter when it is a stay at home layout. What does matter I will not have the same Airfix/Dapol figures like most 00 layouts. The price of most other makes compared to the fun in making my own, which wins? 

Anyhow the eyesight is still reasonable. here are some I was making until they got knocked off the table and the lady and kids were damaged. never mind I can either fix them or make some new.

post-16423-0-29330500-1524473267.jpg

Edit....They need tidying up a bit.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4

Good advice here, but I'd have to disagree about the Plates (also Double bolsters and Trestles on the same underframe).

I have a good few of these, built in the days when the kits were £3.35! As long as the deck is flat, the vehicle should be fine without compensation. Mine were built with the deck held by a large weight on a piece of glass, at least until the solebars and headstocks had set firm, with more weight applied after putting on the low height sides. A Lima loco weight is fine for this purpose, and I'd guess Clive has a few of these kicking around!

John.