Hornby 2022 - Licences & Collectables

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Bulk order from a trader who thinks he can sell them at a profit on ebay/amazon?

if it has been as popular as suggested and it is going to sell out, such a deal should indeed prove lucrative.

That is what seems to have happened with the last Hornby special issue which proved highly popular.

I had pre-ordered the Hornby Captain Tom Moore from Hornby when it was announced.     A few months later I began to read on fora that people were now receiving theirs.   After a few weeks of still waiting for mine the rumour began to circulate that Hornby would not be fulfilling all the orders.   A trader whom I dealt with had bought several and had been selling them at Hornby list price and I asked if they would keep one aside for me.  After a further two or three weeks I decided to purchase that one and cancelled my Hornby pre-order.   I later learned that my order number was in the range which would not have been fulfilled by Hornby, so just as well I bought from a retailer while I still could.  If I recall correctly I paid £81, which covered the retail price plus postage and paypal fees, but some folks who made multiple purchases from Hornby were meanwhile offering these on eBay at grossly inflated prices.   Needless to say I cancelled all my other pre-orders with Hornby and did not renew my club membership.   Returning to topic, I'll give the current purple Bulleid a miss, not my cup of tea.

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

A product such as this will have very wide appeal even outside the modelling fraternity, despite frequent criticism of the Royal family, there's many many collectors of Royal souvenirs.

Working at Royal Doulton back in the eighties we were all given a Charles and Di wedding mug, horrible thing, I ended up with about six as some folks in my department didn't want one.

I put them in the loft out of the way, about ten years later my neighbour who worked in a charity shop came around asking for donations, I had a look around and spotted said mugs, off they went, a few days later she's back begging for more mugs, they'd sold very quickly at a tenner each.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/04/2022 at 10:04, cessna152towser said:

That is what seems to have happened with the last Hornby special issue which proved highly popular.

I had pre-ordered the Hornby Captain Tom Moore from Hornby when it was announced.     A few months later I began to read on fora that people were now receiving theirs.   After a few weeks of still waiting for mine the rumour began to circulate that Hornby would not be fulfilling all the orders.   A trader whom I dealt with had bought several and had been selling them at Hornby list price and I asked if they would keep one aside for me.  After a further two or three weeks I decided to purchase that one and cancelled my Hornby pre-order.   I later learned that my order number was in the range which would not have been fulfilled by Hornby, so just as well I bought from a retailer while I still could.  If I recall correctly I paid £81, which covered the retail price plus postage and paypal fees, but some folks who made multiple purchases from Hornby were meanwhile offering these on eBay at grossly inflated prices.   Needless to say I cancelled all my other pre-orders with Hornby and did not renew my club membership.   Returning to topic, I'll give the current purple Bulleid a miss, not my cup of tea.

Which begs a very simple question.  Hornby must have known how many models they had ordered from the factory so why did they accept orders which they knew they could not honour?  I can understand a slight amount of taking excess orders because they no doubt (I hope) know their normal cancellation rate from customers who order but don't then buy.   But that will be a very small percentage and they could simply advise those who order once everything is spoken for that they will be on a provisional, or whatever, list.

To me it just looks like yet another example of shouting the headline grabbing 'number of orders placed by customers' and then not having the goods to meet those orders.  i wonder how the put tiers into direct sales?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

I'd love one. If I could get one. 

I’ve just received an email shot from Gaugemaster encouraging me to order. Does that help ? Yes it’s current purple patch is a tad lurid but it’s being marketed in several good causes and in any case is basically one of Hornby’s best models……with one caution,which is a susceptibility to gear tower failure.Hopefully that’s now sorted. 

A personal dilemma here is to order to use it ( probably not ) or to rally round to flag and support the SVR and the rest. Good luck with that one then,beauty being in the eye of the beholder etc. At least I won’t be contentious over Hornby’s interpretation of BR green.  I suppose the way to settle the question would be to trip over to the SVR to view 70 aka 34027. Would a model70 be a suitable gift for a swiftly approaching  80 he wonders….? 

• Like 3

• AY Mod unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

It's probably the film companies prop department that decided on what was going to happen to the loco's and then supplied the vinyls. 

I've seen worse, namely the Bluebells S15 that had GWR/Great Western slapped on its tender. Or even the NYMR Std 4 that gained LNER branding for Downton Abbey. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Why is it LMS?

Surely the railway comany should be the GN&SRy?

1 minute ago, SteamingWales said:

The new film is set during WW2, hence the LMS liveries

I.e. a generation later than the original film.

• Agree 1

More likely wouldn't pay for a repaint. 

There is also the Jubilee somewhere in it. I have only seen the front view and it looks like they've just painted out the first number.

The other loco I have seen in the trailer is Big Jim in a scene reminiscent of Yanks.

If you want to watch it as a film, avoid the trailers as I seem to have guessed most of the storyline....

Jason

• Like 2

Apparently the film company just stuck vinyl stickers over the existing crest/number of the loco used for the film, hence the odd looking yet accurate black border. Presumably the film company had these made up on a background colour of 'fresh out the paint shop' black, and then applied this to the side of a sun faded locomotive and thought "Ahh..."

• Like 1

I have absolutely no wish to start another discussion regarding the Titfield Thunderbolt issue, but am I correct in thinking that this latest Hornby venture is tied in with the same film company with which they fell out over regarding that earlier film?

• Administrators
Just now, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I have absolutely no wish to start another discussion regarding the Titfield Thunderbolt issue, but am I correct in thinking that this latest Hornby venture is tied in with the same film company with which they fell out over regarding that earlier film?

Yes it is.

1 minute ago, Phil Parker said:

Yes it is.

In that case, do we have any idea if this new deal was done before or after that falling out ie it seems strange for two parties to seal a deal after a big fall out and so was this new deal done before the falling out?

Or was the big falling out between Rapido and Hornby rather than Studio Canal and Hornby?

Please forgive me asking that question as I have not followed events that closely in the past.

2 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

In that case, do we have any idea if this new deal was done before or after that falling out ie it seems strange for two parties to seal a deal after a big fall out and so was this new deal done before the falling out?

Or was the big falling out between Rapido and Hornby rather than Studio Canal and Hornby?

Please forgive me asking that question as I have not followed events that closely in the past.

You assume there was a big falling out.

Rapido have a licence to make certain models, Hornby did not.  Hornby would have been instructed that their venture broke copyright and to desist which they did.

Studio Canal, like any other business, will be happy to still deal with another sizeable company like Hornby even after such an event.  Why because there is money in it for Studio Canal.  The whole deal is simply business, whilst there may have been some public mentions of the Hornby endeavours it was all handled in the background, no fuss no public spats and then everybody being grown up moves on.

It's only on forums like this that the thing becomes a circus and none of that came from Rapido, Hornby or Studio Canal - it was froth generated by enthusiasts on the forum.

• Like 5
  • Agree 11

4 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

You assume there was a big falling out.

Rapido have a licence to make certain models, Hornby did not.  Hornby would have been instructed that their venture broke copyright and to desist which they did.

Studio Canal, like any other business, will be happy to still deal with another sizeable company like Hornby even after such an event.  Why because there is money in it for Studio Canal.  The whole deal is simply business, whilst there may have been some public mentions of the Hornby endeavours it was all handled in the background, no fuss no public spats and then everybody being grown up moves on.

It's only on forums like this that the thing becomes a circus and none of that came from Rapido, Hornby or Studio Canal - it was froth generated by enthusiasts on the forum.

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. 

• Like 2

On 23/04/2022 at 19:56, The Stationmaster said:

Which begs a very simple question.  Hornby must have known how many models they had ordered from the factory so why did they accept orders which they knew they could not honour?  I can understand a slight amount of taking excess orders because they no doubt (I hope) know their normal cancellation rate from customers who order but don't then buy.   But that will be a very small percentage and they could simply advise those who order once everything is spoken for that they will be on a provisional, or whatever, list.

To me it just looks like yet another example of shouting the headline grabbing 'number of orders placed by customers' and then not having the goods to meet those orders.  i wonder how the put tiers into direct sales?

It could be the case that they order say 1000 models then given just how spicey the situation is over in China the factory says look here's 800 best we can do unless you wish to wait it out for indeterminable periods until rules change in our favour. Likewise the same process can play out all along the many lines of materials suppliers or component suppliers, motor all the way to something silly like solder everything is made by someone somewhere. 

On 02/04/2022 at 17:21, Hilux5972 said:

Which I’m very glad was the case. Olton Hall looks far more fitting with the look of the films. 

Not so surprising, as the film's used the real Olton Hall! 😉😀

Though some think that the film's should have actually used a Castle Class loco, as the film loco is named Hogwarts Castle, not Hogwarts Hall...🤷🏼‍♀️

🐉🙋🏼‍♀️

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

The new film is set during WW2, hence the LMS liveries

Ah fictional big 4 in 1923… if it was fictional Great Northern and Southern Railway before, maybe it could have become part of the London, Yorkshire and Scottish railway ? Of course that could bring a Great Midland and Central Railway and Great Eastern and Western Railway, together with London North and South Western Railways to compete with it…

😀

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

If I ran a preserved railway, I'd paint a few wagons in Norstand blue, Cory burgundy and Ocean brown, just to legitimise the cheap 70s products 😉

And i’d have teleporting staff, that way they can get in my blue 86 without needing door handles afterall.