PECO announces its entry into the TT gauge market

whart57

PECO have released a video and their website has been updated to show there new product range - TT:120.

The video is a little cheeky in that it references some 1950s era Railway Modellers announcing Triang's foray into what was called TT-3, as TT-3 is 3mm to the foot, albeit on the same 12mm gauge track as TT 1:120 scale. The same British take on an international scale as OO is to HO.

There is clearly considerable commitment to the creation of track, two turnouts (LH and RH medium radius), flexible track and sundries like buffer stops, but the buildings seem very much more suck it and see and the promised wagon doesn't have a release date yet.

I noted the words "no compromise" in the video commentary and the info on the track is at pains to point out that the track gauge is spot on for accuracy. Which it would be if there was any rolling stock available to 1/10" to the foot scale. (A happy coincidence that just as Boris announces a return to Imperial measures we should get this return to an all-Imperial scale ratio. S gauge eat your heart out ;-) ) Clearly the international aspect is focussing PECO's pitch and the feeling that the British gauge compromise is neither understood nor necessary in North America or Europe

Working against 3mm scale on the global market is that it is way too close to HO to stand a chance of winning converts. In the British context Cyril Freezer used to argue that the existence of 3mm scale, including its finescale variant, rendered British outline HO futile.

I am a former Chairman of the 3mm Society so I am intrigued by PECO's move. I don't see this as an existential threat to the Society as yet, to me this is PECO aiming at a global market in its core track sales business. Right now I'd say ta very much for an alternative track system to their HOm offerings. After all most OO modellers live quite happily with the HO sleeper size and spacing of Streamline.

What would be interesting is another manufacturer - Hornby say or Rapido - bringing out a British outline loco. Not a Class 66 which does exist in 1:120 but something like a Pannier which would look good in front of Highley signal box.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 minutes ago, friscopete said:

i will look forwars to Dapols Terrier in TT.I always liked TT ,a sensible scale ,so will probably take the bait .

In the meantime then, here is whart57's Terrier

image.png.dc10552af834343ec509ed38e188deca.png

• Like 14

Always though it was a good compromise between size and detail. My father built us a Tri-ang layout, with the old brown track. All has been sold off now and I'm at an age where another scale/gauge would clutter up the house even more. I do wish them well in this venture.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, friscopete said:

i will look forwars to Dapols Terrier in TT.I always liked TT ,a sensible scale ,so will probably take the bait .

Have I missed something? 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, JZ said:

Always though it was a good compromise between size and detail. 

I agree. But excuse my ignorance and not perhaps understanding the OP, but is this foray into "TT" a smaller equivalent of HO (i.e. track, trains etc. are the same scale) or something else? Unless its the former, I fear it won't encourage new modellers looking for that compromise, because it will of itself already be compromised.

Whilst I accept OO is here to stay due to its longevity and am happy with that, is a new scale of ready to run - where the track doesn't match the trains - really the way forward? 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Have I missed something? 

I don't think so, perhaps a bit of wishlisting going on.

Mind you Dapol have done it in 2mm, 4mm and 7mm, so a 2.54mm (1/120) version is a possibility!

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, brushman47544 said:

I agree. But excuse my ignorance and not perhaps understanding the OP, but is this foray into "TT" a smaller equivalent of HO (i.e. track, trains etc. are the same scale) or something else? Unless its the former, I fear it won't encourage new modellers looking for that compromise, because it will of itself already be compromised.

Whilst I accept OO is here to stay due to its longevity and am happy with that, is a new scale of ready to run - where the track doesn't match the trains - really the way forward? 

No, it is proper TT at 1:120 scale, not TT3 (1:100 scale) that Triang used in the 1960's.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

In spite of being a 3mm modeller, I think this is a great development.

An attractive scale and throwing out the usual British compromises. Could tempt modellers in other scales looking for a new project to try out. I'm sure the rolling stock will appear; I've been impressed with what Corgi achieved in this scale. I see this very much aimed at the British market; it's very much a scale for people to dabble in.

Nigel

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I was just talking with my brother - he was trying to convince me that he "enjoyed" building points in 3mm scale and that it was "actually easy"... This could give him hours of his life back!

• Funny 1

3 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

I was just talking with my brother - he was trying to convince me that he "enjoyed" building points in 3mm scale and that it was "actually easy"... This could give him hours of his life back!

A bit unfair - lots of people enjoy making things rather than buying them. Personally, if the hobby was all about buying stuff, I'd go and do something else.

It will be interesting to see how this affects 3mm scale modelling. It's traditionally been seen a a modellers scale since Tri-ang gave up. When I exhibited a 3mm layout, one of the wonderful things was that no-one asked "Is it Bachmann Mister?". In the future they will ask "Is it Peco?" (Yes, I know most British 3mm is 1:101 scale and Peco is 1:120). I suspect the 1:101'ers will carry on and another group will work in 1:120. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Consider me a convert, at least to dabble in it at least. Always fancied British HO but I’m set in OO, so European TT is a good way of getting accurate models for me in limited space. 

Looking forward to getting a wagon or two, nice to know there will be some RTR stock of use.

7 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

I made loads  of Peco 3 mm for a  school layout ..Halfway through I discovered girls and never gave it  a moments thought until now .

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The snag is that at the present time there isn't a single locomotive available — so how do they sell wagons, signals etc. in this scale? Perhaps they intend to produce such a locomotive — or have someone produce it for them. Whoever produces "it", it will almost certainly be GWR given the buildings being produced.

One wonders as to who any partner may be. Surely not Heljan or Kato this time. Perhaps Tillig? (Imagine the confusion if they had a loco developed by Piko…)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Moxy said:

No, it is proper TT at 1:120 scale, not TT3 (1:100 scale) that Triang used in the 1960's.

Nope. It's Continental TT at 12mm gauge.

Proper TT uses 14.2mm track.

Unless you are modelling the Padarn railway it's no use for British railways if you want it to be correct gauge.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I did post this on the other now locked thread but for those who missed it, Gaugemaster also today announced a 1:120 TT range:

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/news/article/view/id/712/

Includes a Class 66 coming along too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I did post this on the other now locked thread but for those who missed it, Gaugemaster also today announced a 1:120 TT range:

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/news/article/view/id/712/

Includes a Class 66 coming along too.

I think this is an existing model produced some time ago, and sold with a British livery rather than a new tooling.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Gaugemaster are the UK agents for a number of continental manufacturers, some of whom do make 1:120 items.  GM have a number of items in their own range in OO and N which are made by those manufacturers but in GM packaging so with Peco's TT 1:120 announcement, it makes sense to provide suitably compatible elements to the UK market that are going to be in demand if this takes off.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

I saw the post on Facebook. Why are they doing TT gauge?

Peco see an opportunity with the new product alongside the stuff being done through the 3mm society probably along with the wider established European market this also appeals to. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Nope. It's Continental TT at 12mm gauge.

Proper TT uses 14.2mm track.

Unless you are modelling the Padarn railway it's no use for British railways if you want it to be correct gauge.

Jason

It's TT pure and simple, model railways at 1:120. 14.2mm is only correct if you model to 3mm/ft, a different scale.

Peco obviously isn't in this alone; others will be working on stock.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I'm baffled by this. As a once-TT3 modeller, I can still see the attraction of 3mm/ft.

But UK-outline 2.5mm/ft ??

what's wrong with UK outline 2.5mm/ft? Corgi did some very nice static models in that scale.

• Like 1