Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Fictitious liveries - models, not Photoshopped!

JDW

• RMweb Premium

Had a spare Parkside VEA van kit knocking about so, seeing as ODA wagons managed to survive just long enough to receive EWS livery, a what if for the VEA type now exists:

post-6910-0-29950800-1349541851_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been inspired by this topic of fictitious liveries on models, now I want to do a made up livery on one of my N gauge locomotives in "SH Rail" livery with a appropriate rake of coaching stock for my layout.

But there's one problem with this, I've never put transfers or re-painted any of my stock before!!

The only way to learn is to try it yourself. Start off with something that doesn't matter if you mess it up, like a body from the scrap box and progress from there when you feel you have gained sufficient skills to do it properly to your satisfaction.

We all had to start somewhere and I'm positive that everyone on these forums will have their tales to tell of things that went wrong or simply didn't work out (I know I have!). I'm not trying to put you off but, rather, I'm trying to say 'Have a go' and don't panic if it doesn't go right first time. We get better as we go and learn from our mistakes. That is a part of the fun of our hobby. :)

• Like 2

I'm toying with the idea of doing a BR marroon with coach decal class 47.... 

However, depending on how adventurous I feel I might do an East Midlands Trains 47 or MML 47.... or something to that effect.... am also tempted to do an NCB class 47, on the principal that had they survived into privatisation of the railways, then they might have been likely to have their own mainline engines?

There was a Midland maroon 47 (Lima issued a model of this, I think) and very nice it looked too. The livery you are suggesting, Bruce, might partly resemble the application I did on my Hymek, earlier in this topic.

When it is a fictional livery, there are so many possible variations on themes: should the cab window surrounds be a contrasting colour? Should there be a relief colour band or block? Should the roof be a different colour? ... and so on.  :)

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

A nasty surprise has emerged from the depths, a repaint I did for no readily apparent reason very many years ago:  :O  :swoon:  :scared:  :jester:

post-6910-0-97208400-1391637425_thumb.jpg

What on earth was I thinking!?!  (No, the consumption of alcohol was surprisingly not involved!!)

It's going on Ebay in the morning for a laugh...  :mail:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A nasty surprise has emerged from the depths, a repaint I did for no readily apparent reason very many years ago:  :O  :swoon:  :scared:  :jester:

attachicon.gifP1000030.JPG

What on earth was I thinking!?!  (No, the consumption of alcohol was surprisingly not involved!!)

It's going on Ebay in the morning for a laugh...  :mail:

How much? :jester:

Anybody remember an unfortunate exLMS Compound that was painted red and yellow for an Andy Capp advert after which it was ignominiously carted off for scrap? Might have been 41102 but my memory isn't what it was!

Edward

I will try to explain....... The topic was ficticious liveries

LMS Compounds' livery was standard BR in the fifties, i.e. lined black. This one was painted red, yellow and black i.e. not a true livery, i.e. ficticious. OK, so this was a real locomotive, not a model, but I thought it was amusing and it is not off topic, which is about ficticious liveries.

I am sure there are a lot of RM Web members who were not around when this event happened so I apologise if anyone is offended, not everyone appreciates all types of humour!

I see it was 41101, not 41102, my memory wasn't so far out, thanks Londontram for finding the picture.

Edward

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Interesting point, Edward, and I agree, I don't have a problem with something that offbeat cropping up here, though I would disagree on it being "fictitious", which to me implies it never really happened, and this did really happen, albeit not for long, and its rather garish, but hey, its only words, and its interesting, and livery-related, so what the heck?!

JDW

I think I remember seeing an A4 in Executive livery, looked rather smart to me.*

A friend had an A4 in LMS Maroon - named 'Cuckoo'. :mosking:

(* didn't someone have a Reliant 3 wheeler van in this livery?)

Also a rake of old Airfix Mk2 air-cons, 2 half brakes, 4 1st class into a standard class coach and 1 into a buffet coach.

There is some video of it on youtube, look for DUGMER JUNCTION.

Fastline50015.jpg

Fastline1.jpg

Fastline2.jpg

Really like the coaches, especially the livery application on the buffet
  • Like 4