Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

One thing I'm doing for BRM right now is a series on 'budget modelling'; obtaining items, often second-hand, at greatly-reduced prices which require a bit of 'personal' modelling to 'bring them back to life'. 

It's not all RTR-based, of course. Take this as an example, for instance................

441412817_RebuiltPro-ScaleA401.jpg.3c871f95697cd46f856d42965662f4dc.jpg

I bought this last year, for a very low price. It's a Pro-Scale A4 which the builder had started, then (it would seem in disgust) dismantled what he'd made. Fortunately, no damage was done, all the parts are present and I've started to reassemble it. 

I'm building it on top of a set of Comet frames (from stock - I've ordered a replacement A4 chassis from Comet), using Markits wheels all round and a DJH motor/gearbox, ready-assembled combo (the Pro-Scale chassis is way beyond my abilities, though the etched body is a work of the etcher's art). 

Obviously, the wheels and the drive are hardly 'budget modelling' - £80.00 odd quid for the drive, and driving wheels at around seven quid each! Neither is a Comet chassis. That said, I'll still end up with a 'relatively' low-cost A4 (what's a current Hornby RTR one cost?).

And........1476928689_Pro-ScaleA4KINGFISHER.jpg.fc2da3c8f83702f8de9f387453dd8031.jpg

There's no doubt they can turn into fine models, especially with an Ian Rathbone paint job (which doesn't qualify as 'budget', either).

Part-built loco kits, as long as they're complete and have no building 'damage', can be obtained for very low prices, and are worth investigation. 

Hi Tony,

A new Hornby BR version (60030) is being released later in the year, RRP 200.00+ discounted  to £196.00. Ebay  is a bit cheaper but not much. The right livery or "special editions"  can go for silly money ( £160 -  £250 or more).  The corridor tendered  versions commanding higher prices. Non-corridor  between  £80.00 - 90.00. casual observation is that late crest versions seem in demand more than early. Possibly because late crest versions have a double chimney - personally I think that gives them better proportions. Though it could be that the market for late crest locos may be stronger than early. Either way I'm happy to be corrected. 

Have you decided which A4 that one will be yet Tony?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

What glue(s) would be best for those sorts of items?

As others have said I'll be using a CA based glue. Probably permabond 910 specifically as it's good for metals - production versions will be going on etched kits.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, davidw said:

Hi Tony,

A new Hornby BR version (60030) is being released later in the year, RRP 200.00+ discounted  to £196.00. Ebay  is a bit cheaper but not much. The right livery or "special editions"  can go for silly money ( £160 -  £250 or more).  The corridor tendered  versions commanding higher prices. Non-corridor  between  £80.00 - 90.00. casual observation is that late crest versions seem in demand more than early. Possibly because late crest versions have a double chimney - personally I think that gives them better proportions. Though it could be that the market for late crest locos may be stronger than early. Either way I'm happy to be corrected. 

Have you decided which A4 that one will be yet Tony?

'Have you decided which A4 that one will be yet Tony?'

I have David,

It'll be 60032 GANNET. 

I've actually had a GANNET running on LB already...........

1825624424_60032onElizabethan.jpg.0a369f2088e9463ec013f96250855415.jpg

1426599009_6003260048passing.jpg.a638a6bebed5b6b9665ee4ff2172b02a.jpg

In little Bytham's early days, not long after the Hornby A4 was completely revamped and much-improved. All I did was renumber/rename it (can't remember what it was originally), close-couple the loco to tender, add a crew and coal the tender, and then weather it slightly. 

In a way, GANNET is incongruous for LB in the summer 1958, because she was one of last two (the other being 60009) to receive a double Kylchap, and, thus, for strict historical accuracy, should have a single chimney. However; two things. I think the A4s with single chimneys look puny, and I have very fond memories of seeing '32 on 'The Elizabethan'.

I sold the Hornby 60032 quite some time ago. Despite its being a good model (apart from the anorexic valve gear), it's 'just' Hornby to me, requiring so little of my personal input.

Thanks for the pricings, by the way. At around £200.00, the latest Hornby A4 comes out slightly more-expensive in comparison to some extent. Granted, I got the basic kit for a pittance, but the chassis I've just re-stocked comes in at £38.60 (thanks Andrew), the DJH motor/gearbox is about £80.00 and a complete wheelset from Markits is a bit in excess of £50.00. So, not altogether a 'cheap' alternative, especially as it'll be professionally-painted (though I'll barter that). However, mine will be unique and much more in keeping with my personal modelling philosophy.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

'Have you decided which A4 that one will be yet Tony?'

I have David,

It'll be 60032 GANNET. 

I've actually had a GANNET running on LB already...........

1825624424_60032onElizabethan.jpg.0a369f2088e9463ec013f96250855415.jpg

1426599009_6003260048passing.jpg.a638a6bebed5b6b9665ee4ff2172b02a.jpg

In little Bytham's early days, not long after the Hornby A4 was completely revamped and much-improved. All I did was renumber/rename it (can't remember what it was originally), close-couple the loco to tender, add coal, a crew and coal, and then weather it slightly. 

In a way, GANNET is incongruous for LB in the summer 1958, because she was one of last two (the other being 60009) to receive a double Kylchap, and, thus, for strict historical accuracy, should have a single chimney. However; two things. I think the A4s with single chimneys look puny, and I have very fond memories of seeing '32 on 'The Elizabethan'.

I sold the Hornby 60032 quite some time ago. Despite its being a good model (apart from the anorexic valve gear), it's 'just' Hornby to me, requiring so little of my personal input.

Thanks for the pricings, by the way. At around £200.00, the latest Hornby A4 comes out slightly more-expensive in comparison to some extent. Granted, I got the basic kit for a pittance, but the chassis I've just re-stocked comes in at £38.60 (thanks Andrew), the DJH motor/gearbox is about £80.00 and a complete wheelset from Markits is a bit in excess of £50.00. So, not altogether a 'cheap' alternative, especially as it'll be professionally-painted (though I'll barter that). However, mine will be unique and much more in keeping with my personal modelling philosophy.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks for the reply. I've vague recollection of seeing a Hornby Gannet on LB in one of my first visits. Though I may have brought  mine. It's surprising what bargains can be had. I'll look forward to the article on budget modelling too. Seem expense everywhere at the moment 

• Agree 1

After 1928, conventional thinking is that ends on non-corridor coaching stock (and therefore NPCCS) were black.   However there's evidence that at least some horseboxes continued to have body coloured ends.  That may be down to one Works, I'm really not sure.    Given that the 6 wheeler you've done is in pre-1928 lined livery, I can't see a problem with this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, micklner said:

Very nice, you forgot the Black plastic behind the Louvres , you shouldnt be able to see straight through . That was pointed out to me when I built mine, by others on my thread.

I do now remember you told me that. What was inside the van to stop people seeing through?

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

This GANNET might even be finished.....................

Tony,

I have one to build too so will follow with interest. Looking at my Pro-Scale A4 it seems as if careful alighnment is going to be crucial. Hope I can emulate the neatness of your work.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

I do now remember you told me that. What was inside the van to stop people seeing through?

Nothing - other than perhaps zinc mesh.

However, real louvres are actually sloping slats that overlap each other; etched 'louvres' are simply two-dimensional slots.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

If you look at any Louvre door/blind, you cannot see through them as they overlap each other,  and only allow air to pass through on the top and bottom of the angled louvre.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

58 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Tony,

I have one to build too so will follow with interest. Looking at my Pro-Scale A4 it seems as if careful alighnment is going to be crucial. Hope I can emulate the neatness of your work.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Good afternoon Richard,

My work will be 'neater' after more of the soldered seams have been properly tidied up. Because of the kit's design, the smokebox/boiler/firebox assembly has to be soldered to the 'aerofoil'-shaped footplate from the outside, necessitating a fair bit of cleaning up once fixed. The top parts are ready-formed (quite well), and fit together relatively easily, soldered from the inside. The footplate curve is dictated by the valance strip, which is incredibly flimsy and thin. Having now built (at least the bodywork) three Pro-Scale A4s, I've never managed to fix the strips on entirely to my satisfaction. They bow and cockle under soldering heat, much more so than the footplate, though that can go out of shape when heated. I've had to resort to part-replacement of the valance strips (at the rear end) with appropriate-sized, square-section brass/nickel silver stock; much more robust. 

The following pictures illustrate the flimsiness of those valances............

1996018783_0160024onElizabethan.jpg.a2b0a3bee90164fa9d314ec6be8b4c91.jpg

Certainly not a perfect aerofoil-shape, especially beneath the firebox/cab.

92893921_60024studio.jpg.22e0f76e90399bcc0614d7f93dcaef42.jpg

Possibly better on this side?

1639697294_60022studio01.jpg.e97e621d98a41b2d284560d8218fd765.jpg

A bit of a 'wobble' here at the rear (note the 'bent' reversing rod as well - the result of exhibition handling).

156189418_MALLARDpanning.jpg.8d37dea50d0b42a84819f7f17a3b5fe4.jpg

This side seems to be worse in both cases. 

Ian Rathbone painted both these A4s. 

I think Scottish Eric made a neater job with his Pro-Scale A4..........

116617656_A4s60024.jpg.47bf1deb216fc51f057efa7c4952b40b.jpg

He's also incorporated the flexible screen between the cab roof's rear and the tender's frontplate.

The cabsides are also incredibly flimsy in the state seen in my picture of yesterday. The next job will be to detail the cab and get the roof on ASAP.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

My work will be 'neater' after more of the soldered seams have been properly tidied up.

Thanks so much for the feedback and the tips. Valances are always "little devils" are they not? But A4's must be about the worse.

Kind regards,

Richard B

35 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Thanks so much for the feedback and the tips. Valances are always "little devils" are they not? But A4's must be about the worse.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Good evening Richard,

I think you're right regarding the A4s' valances. 

Looking at pictures of locos in works prior to shopping, every separate component seems to have the individual loco's number stencilled on to them. A4s' cladding, in particular, needed this because bits from another probably wouldn't fit. 

In a way, I like the Pro-Scale A4's style of construction. It does introduce the odd anomaly; a bend/buckle/cockle/dent here and there. I don't mean that to excuse shoddy building, but it's clearly been 'made by hand'; not some plastic perfection from the other side of the globe.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Not for me, though.

Good evening Tony,

Yes I am in agreement, original WC/BB and MN also suffered from the "hand built" look that, as you suggest, just doesn't work with a plastic moulding. I seem to remember someone covering a Hornby WC moulding with very thin brass sheet to create that "lived in" look. I might have a go at that myself.

To extend the point a bit further. Most cab side sheeting had imperfections created by manufacture, damage, poor re-assembly after repair etc. I guess though the area is so much smaller so we can, perhaps, let that pass?

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 3

I wonder if the assembled expertise of those who follow this thread might be able to identify the odd, tank-like loads on some of the wagons in this train, please?

52283234129_9934101dea_c.jpg92095_Charwelton by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Closer view:

52283815814_ebd202f416_c.jpg92095_Charwelton_crop by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

It looks as though Charwelton has already been rationalised by the date of the image, so possibly mid-1960s not long before closure of the GC London Extension as a through route.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

I wonder if the assembled expertise of those who follow this thread might be able to identify the odd, tank-like loads on some of the wagons in this train, please?

52283234129_9934101dea_c.jpg92095_Charwelton by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Closer view:

52283815814_ebd202f416_c.jpg92095_Charwelton_crop by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

It looks as though Charwelton has already been rationalised by the date of the image, so possibly mid-1960s not long before closure of the GC London Extension as a through route.

Hi Robert

They are not tank wagons, they are tanks being transported on flatrols or weltrols or could even be on four wheeled trolleys. Can you enlarge the section with the tanks. 

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Robert

They are not tank wagons, they are tanks being transported on flatrols or weltrols or could even be on four wheeled trolleys. Can you enlarge the section with the tanks. 

They look a bit like tanks (accumulators) for industrial compressed air systems.

• Like 1