A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, FarrMan said:

Farr is where I live. I have never heard it called Far(t), 

Lloyd

You should try living where I do: Fingrinhoe in Nth Essex

Non locals always call it Finger-ing- ho   and teenagers titter

Locals say Fin-grin-ho..................

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, M.I.B said:

You should try living where I do: Fingrinhoe in Nth Essex

Non locals always call it Finger-ing- ho   and teenagers titter

Locals say Fin-grin-ho..................

I use to shoot my rifle there back in the 1970s.

Any how where I live the locals call the village Soloby....................spelt Saltfleetby, not pronounced by people in the Louth area as Salt-fleet-bee but Salt-fleet-bye.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
On 20/06/2022 at 20:09, Captain Kernow said:

A little local diversion - CTMK and I were walking around the village a little while ago and found ourselves walking up a residential road called Heather Park.

When I saw the remains of this GWR pedestrian gate, I realised that the road was partly built on the formation of the Kingsbridge branch, between the main road (B3372) and the main line junction:

20220602_143002.jpg.1041592b8dc9221a8d49fdecd56ce885.jpg

This was presumably the location of a footpath crossing over the branch.

The Kingsbridge branch was the first choice of what became the DVR .... However BR had starting the dismantleing by then.

Shame as it would have been a Loverly line ..... No doubt the A38 would have cut it in two by South Brent

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, John Besley said:

The Kingsbridge branch was the first choice of what became the DVR .... However BR had starting the dismantleing by then.

Shame as it would have been a Loverly line ..... No doubt the A38 would have cut it in two by South Brent

Indeed, it would have been a very lovely heritage railway.

Your point about the A38 dualling is interesting. Given the relative ease with which the DVR gave up the Ashburton section, the same might well have happened on the Kingsbridge line near Brent, especially as I suspect that the presence of an embryonic steam railway would not have stopped BR from closing Brent station in 1964.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Indeed, it would have been a very lovely heritage railway.

Your point about the A38 dualling is interesting. Given the relative ease with which the DVR gave up the Ashburton section, the same might well have happened on the Kingsbridge line near Brent, especially as I suspect that the presence of an embryonic steam railway would not have stopped BR from closing Brent station in 1964.

The DVR brought the Paignton line with the proceeds of the A38 sale so I understand.

The first trains to run out of Paignton where in 31st December 1972... Hauled by 4588 with Brian Cox driving and Dave Knowling firing.

Little known fact the DVR ran a commuter service from December to the October 7 days a week with 4588 or 6412 - this was part of the sale agreement.

Churston Grammar School made up most of the early morning train and locals to Kingswear for Dartmouth... 

I rode on some of these early morning trains in the Feb 1/2 term (I went to Paignton Secondary School for Boys) 

By Easter 1973 7827 Lydham Manor had joined the TSR as it was known then and I joined as a volunteer shortly after, we had 4472 for the summer - in fact this was the first engine I drove (ok it was just round the yard at Paignton)

And as they say the rest is history..

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
On 22/06/2022 at 12:33, Clive Mortimore said:

I use to shoot my rifle there back in the 1970s.

Ranges are still open Clive.  Most locals aren't bothered by range noise or by all the Apaches and Chinooks doing low flying - as we say 

the Army at Play keeps Barratt/Taylor-Wimpy and Persimmon away....,,,,

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, M.I.B said:

Ranges are still open Clive.  Most locals aren't bothered by range noise or by all the Apaches and Chinooks doing low flying - as we say 

the Army at Play keeps Barratt/Taylor-Wimpy and Persimmon away....,,,,

I used to shoot there in 1956. No helicopters - we had to make do with a 3 ton truck!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, john dew said:

I used to shoot there in 1956. No helicopters - we had to make do with a 3 ton truck!

I guess that the truck would have been easier to hit than a helicopter...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
On 23/06/2022 at 16:03, john dew said:

Cor blimey, transport.

Full kit, rifle and doubling all the way. REME attached to the Royal Artillery.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 18/06/2022 at 10:55, gwrrob said:

Powsides do an amazing range of different liveries but the kits are now 15 sheets each. What we have done on several wagons is a cheat and to respray the Bachmann 7 plank black and use their transfers instead. Here's an example on the Ocean wagon.

1400641420_ocean7204.jpg.9881cb05851d5b837ca79fffe53b969f.jpg

Does anyone have a suggestion on the colour of this, enamel preferred , rather nice wagon that Powsides also do the transfers for on a similar note.

Stoneycombe.jpg.4162e6f08ec508de1eb830fa374f74da.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Does anyone have a suggestion on the colour of this, enamel preferred , rather nice wagon that Powsides also do the transfers for on a similar note.

Stoneycombe.jpg.4162e6f08ec508de1eb830fa374f74da.jpg

It's very close to Humbrol Satin 174, Signal Red. I'm guessing you are going to seal the transfers with matt varnish anyway?

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 26/06/2022 at 19:42, Siberian Snooper said:

If you contact POWsides, they will give you the details, when I have purchased pre lettered kits, there's a hand written note with the Humbrol paint number.

This has turned out to be a good shout @Siberian Snooper as I've had an email from Robert Tivendale stating the colour is indeed Humbrol 100 matt red brown.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 28/06/2022 at 14:41, gwrrob said:

This has turned out to be a good shout @Siberian Snooper as I've had an email from Robert Tivendale stating the colour is indeed Humbrol 100 matt red brown.

Glad you got it sorted out, I have a sample of 100, but discounted it as the image looks a brighter shade on my phone.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Just putting it out there that there's still a few Deltic 'Crepello' left not taken yet. BR blue on ANTB , now there's a thought.....

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Just putting it out there that there's still a few Deltic 'Crepello' left not taken yet. BR blue on ANTB , now there's a thought.....

Going to (hopefully) have a purple one running through my Brent when it arrives tomorrow. 

does mean there is now no funds for an Accurascale manor, so I suppose I have no excuse not to get my Mitchell one running…

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

does mean there is now no funds for an Accurascale manor, 

I'm sure you'll somehow find the money for one when they're released.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I'm sure you'll somehow find the money for one when they're released.

That will no doubt depend rather on alot on whether I can finally get my Mitchell one running properly  If I can I am much more likely to just stick with that.

That said I am very interested to see if the weight of the Manor is anything like the deltic, it is massively heavier compared with comparable diesel locos.  If the Manor has similar weight it will shift anything put behind it (unlike the completely gutless Dapol 43xx).  I am definitely going to keep mentioning "do a 1000 County" every time I see them at a show...

• Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1