Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Hi Dave,

The switched diamond in image C4883 does not inspire confidence in track design, they always looked a bit dodgy to me and 'think' Network Rail have either banished or going to banish them in time. On the modelling front I have no recollection of seeing these featured in any handbuilt trackwork.

Liked the pic' of the stores unit, a really rare beast.

Hi Dave,

The switched diamond in image C4883 does not inspire confidence in track design, they always looked a bit dodgy to me and 'think' Network Rail have either banished or going to banish them in time. On the modelling front I have no recollection of seeing these featured in any handbuilt trackwork.

There's a switched diamond at Sheet Stores junction near Long Eaton, replaced fairly recently in railway terms I think.

One of our former layouts called Skipley, which was on display at the HMRS building at Swanwick and is now privately owned had a curved switched diamond.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Switch diamonds (elbows in Western speak) having been going the way of all good things for a good 40 years or more as ways were sought to simplify junctions and running junctions and they were relaid with simple turnouts (and turning out to be three or four times as long as a traditional double line running junction with elbows).  I expect their main reason for survival is where there isn't room to lay parallel single leads and a relatively high turnout speed is needed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like those West Midlands photos, which show a good selection of trains and locations. The class 46 cab handrails seem very prominent in the second photo. It must be a combination of the light and the angle of the camera.

86222 at Marston Green in the last photo looks very begrimed covered in that brake dust.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

When the Peaks were outshopped in BR Blue the handrails being picked out in bright white really stood out against the plain blue background, from memory in the green era the handrails were an 'off white'.

• Like 1

I do like the corporate blue BR. It was probably the only time that a corporate identity was carried through. By the time everything was done, it was only a few years until new colour schemes came through. These new colours kept altering so we never had a complete uniform colour scheme because there was always something around in the older colours. It's even worse now, with the different companies coming and going so quickly.

It may have been boreing, but at least the corporate identity was a success in identifying BR to everyone. Some bits of it still survive today.

Hello Dave, great to see 1521, 1523 and 1524. I think these are taken from a 'B' road overbridge about 1/2 mile north of Blackwell with the top of 'The Lickey Bank' just  visible behind the photographer on 1524! As kids, we used to cycle  the 12 miles from Northfield to Blackwell and spend a day spotting on 'The Lickey' in the late 1960's/early 1970's during school hols. I think the views you took are now obscured by an overbridge taking the M42 across the railway.

The coppice at the top of the embankment on 1524 used to have a footpath following the lineside fence which we used to follow since we could then make sure we didn't miss any trains which could not be sen from the lane between Barnt Green and Blackwell! Happy days!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Dave, great to see 1521, 1523 and 1524. I think these are taken from a 'B' road overbridge about 1/2 mile north of Blackwell with the top of 'The Lickey Bank' just  visible behind the photographer on 1524! As kids, we used to cycle  the 12 miles from Northfield to Blackwell and spend a day spotting on 'The Lickey' in the late 1960's/early 1970's during school hols. I think the views you took are now obscured by an overbridge taking the M42 across the railway.

The coppice at the top of the embankment on 1524 used to have a footpath following the lineside fence which we used to follow since we could then make sure we didn't miss any trains which could not be sen from the lane between Barnt Green and Blackwell! Happy days!

Andy,

Thank you very much for pinpointing exactly where I took these photos, as I couldn't remember, nor could I work it out from a map.

The next place I visited that day was Bromsgrove before visiting a few other locations not too far away.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

C14442 - that 142 in the "Skipper" (west country) livery, has it still got the original bus-type 4-fold doors? Can't quite make it out.[/size]

I has, these were a pain when they fitted traction interlock. If it was windy and working along the high embankment near cemetery North in Hartlepool the door would get battered by the wind and the interlock would drop out causing loss of power so you had to isolate it

• RMweb Gold

Re C9343, where is the second track? Should it be Saltburn to Darlington?

It's to the left,a bay platform. The train i approaching the camera the driver has prematurely swapped the lights.

The signalman has already pulled off for the return working

• RMweb Gold

It's to the left,a bay platform. The train i approaching the camera the driver has prematurely swapped the lights.

The signalman has already pulled off for the return working

Thanks Russ.

You've beaten me to it, you have described exactly what happened.

The train had just arrived and the driver had changed the lights then he disappeared for a few minutes, he came back just in time for the correct departure time.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Teesside photos. The one of the class 142 in C14442 of 'Skipper' 142525 is so nostalgic now, and the units will be soon be history. Saltburn does indeed look a pale shadow of its former self.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Russ.

You've beaten me to it, you have described exactly what happened.

The train had just arrived and the driver had changed the lights then he disappeared for a few minutes, he came back just in time for the correct departure time.

David

We didn't get long at Saltburn, don't think there was time to get to the chip shop but i think we got time to grab a pie or something

• Like 1

Just to say about pacers and doors and strong winds. You can tell a pacer With original doors as the replacements were not painted to match the colours of the rest of the body. And as to the problems with wind, we had a few time the situation of running along a embankment with the smoother shaped body on top of the bulky under frame created a wing effect (the air over the top moving faster than the air underneath) and it was know for it to lift them enough to create wheel spin at 60+ mph. Never any danger, just it unloaded the wheels just enough.

• RMweb Gold

Another station which has sadly become a dog's breakfast of a track layout

With such customer improvements as moving the short stay parking, as pictured, into the multi storey car park round the corner.

Still, I suppose it helps fit more coffee shops in.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos of Nottingham Midland station. The trackwork was looking a bit messy in the first three photos - I guess work on the track would be responsible for that. An interesting looking track machine to be seen in the first photo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1