Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Midland Railway photo's. In J116, at Annesley, 42232 is hauling four Stanier corridor carriages, and the first one, an SK, has that projection on the leading end - for a fire extinguisher?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Dave. Thanks, yet again, for another reminder of my youth with the Annesley and Linby pics. Great pics.

Was it all really that long ago?

I blinked and, suddenly, it has all gone.

Thanks David.

I have some of those Fairburn tanks underlined in my early 60s ABC; but most were Kirkby-In-Ashfield based. As I never remember visiting that location, I assumed I must have seen them at Midland but had no idea why. Now I have discovered the most likely reason.

53 years later, and another mystery is solved. One of the marvels of the internet.

Thanks once again.

Annesley...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119586-unidentified-location-andor-locodate/?p=2635136

A bit late to the party, I'm afraid, as I've been away for the last week.

With reference to the Peterborough photographs, the class 08 in C1693 would be 08 324.

The class 37 on 1B13 (later returning to HPQ as 1C15 at 16:48 or 16:52, depending upon the year) confirms that the 27th was a Saturday. On a weekday 1B13/1C15 was, almost without exception, a class 31/1. On a Saturday it varied between a 31/0 or a 37.

On the Newcastle to Carlisle line today around Hexham and Wylam.

attachicon.gifWylam Junction Class 105 and 101 Newcastle to Carlisle April 81 C5342.jpg

Wylam Junction Class 105 and 101 Newcastle to Carlisle April 81 C5342

David

The minature Tyne Bridge to the left carried the line that went through Wylam, passing George Stephenson's cottage, then past Stella North and Newburn, before rejoining the other line at Scotswood Junction. The small settlement to the cameraman's left is properly called 'Hagg Bank', but is sometimes called 'The Points', as it was originally constructed to house railway workers.

On the Newcastle to Carlisle line today around Hexham and Wylam.

attachicon.gifWylam Junction Class 105 and 101 Newcastle to Carlisle April 81 C5342.jpg

Wylam Junction Class 105 and 101 Newcastle to Carlisle April 81 C5342

David

The arch-girder bridge is also known as 'Points Bridge' and in 1876 was ahead of its time and a true progenitor of its type. Its designer, W. G. Laws of the Scotswood, Newburn and Wylam Railway Company, later became City Engineer for Newcastle upon Tyne and was instrumental in the design of the city's similar Tyne Bridge, which, in turn, spawned the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

The design was necessary because the foundations for a conventional, pier-based design would have broken through into very shallow mine workings in the area. I think it's pure genius.

Cheers,

BR(W).

Edited by BR(W)

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle to Carlisle line photo's. In the last one, the Cravens and Metro-Cammell formation can be modelled by using Bachmann units. And you can go on a journey over the line from April, 1983. There are a series of videos of the journey on YouTube.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Oxymoron alert - can you use the words nice and allegro in the same phrase?

P

No.

I had one as a company car in the 70s and the wheels fell off. At the old junction of M1 and A41, long closed, by what was K's Garage. I went, noisily, on to the M1 and one of back wheels overtook me going up the A41! Really, honestly. Awful car.

Happy days! (not!).

Edit: correction - M1 not A1 and probably A1 rather than A41 - memory detail fading after 40 years but certainly overtaken by rear wheel - that will never be forgotten!

Edited by highpeakman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Smashing Dave - love the 9F in J124 that's a classic.

The DMU in J457 isn't a 108 though ....its a suburban unit looking at the windows, and a 4 car set....a 115 that's escaped from Marylebone workings perhaps?

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Smashing Dave - love the 9F in J124 that's a classic.

The DMU in J457 isn't a 108 though ....its a suburban unit looking at the windows, and a 4 car set....a 115 that's escaped from Marylebone workings perhaps?

Kind regards

Phil

Phil,

Thanks for pointing that out - I hadn't looked very closely at the image, as usual I just made an assumption.

Edited to remove a sentence which was incorrect.

David

Edited by DaveF

Some more photos of the Great Central main line today.

attachicon.gifPilsley 9F 92158 up coal May 64 J124.jpg

Pilsley 9F 92158 up coal May 64 J124

attachicon.gifb Bulwell Common remains view south May 74 J3663.jpg

Bulwell Common remains view south May 74 J3663

attachicon.gifi Weekday Cross looking north from Broad Marsh car park after closure May 78 J6071.jpg

Weekday Cross looking north from Broad Marsh car park after closure May 78 J6071

attachicon.gifEast Leake Class 108 Rugby to Nottingham Victoria April 66 J457.jpg

East Leake Class ? Rugby to Nottingham Victoria April 66 J457

attachicon.gifCulworth GCR looking south Oct 70 J2403.jpg

Culworth GCR looking south Oct 70 J2403

David

And we threw it all away...................

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great and at the same time, sad photos of the GC Mainline. Sad too see all that dereliction. All so short sighted.

The 9F on the first photo is in a typical condition for that age, and it shows that modellers can get get away, sometimes, with bad varnishing of numbers and totems!

The DMU is a class 115. They are the ones which worked from Marylebone. Blue Square coupling code confirms it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi, Dave. Great and at the same time, sad photos of the GC Mainline. Sad too see all that dereliction. All so short sighted.

The 9F on the first photo is in a typical condition for that age, and it shows that modellers can get get away, sometimes, with bad varnishing of numbers and totems!

The DMU is a class 115. They are the ones which worked from Marylebone. Blue Square coupling code confirms it.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

This is before the line closed as a through route so I imagine that this is one of the Nottingham to Marylebone semi fasts that were sometimes DMU worked. Great photos again.

Rob