Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

IIRC 1M80 (in C658) was the Yarmouth - Walsall summer Saturdays holidaymaker, the return working of the morning 1E91 Walsall - Yarmouth, in which case that picture would have been taken at around 17:45 - 18:00. This was the Midlands - East Anglia equivalent of the "Jolly Fisherman" trains to Skegness and was a 2xClass 25 turn for many years, only very occasionally turning out something else, usually a Brush 4. However, during its last couple of years it became a fairly regular 47 turn.

J776 is a very short train for a 47 on the ECML. I wonder what 1N70 was? Sadly I don't have the relevant WTT.

Edited to add D1669 was a Cardiff loco. Curiouser...

Edited by jonny777

It doesn't look the same colour as the blue/grey Mk1 so could it be a green Mk1?

It's a BR CCT or GUV isn't it?

Regards

Guy

I thought both of those, but it looks to be shorter than the other vehicles, so possibly not another MK1 coach. Too long for a CCT methinks, so yes possibly NPCCS, a green GUV or BG? Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold

I am beginning to wonder about D1669. It should be named, but I can't see a plate.

Are you sure it is not D1969, David? The number is rather blurred on the image.

It could well be, I've taken the number from Dad's notes as I can't read it either.

David

• RMweb Gold

J790; something odd about the last vehicle, can't see when I enlarge it though - any ideas?

It doesn't look the same colour as the blue/grey Mk1 so could it be a green Mk1?

It's a BR CCT or GUV isn't it?

Regards

Guy

I thought both of those, but it looks to be shorter than the other vehicles, so possibly not another MK1 coach. Too long for a CCT methinks, so yes possibly NPCCS, a green GUV or BG?

I've had a look at the scan, that end of the train is not sharp so I can't decide what it is. I think Dad must have focussed on the front of the train.

His notes say the exposure was 1/500 at f1.4, so there isn't much depth of field.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the photo's of Pilmoor. It is on the 'Racing section' of the ECML north of York, and the photo's show trains racing by the camera. That train hauled by the 47 in the first photo' is short at four coaches. I wonder if it was a portion to Middlesborough?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

J776 is a very short train for a 47 on the ECML. I wonder what 1N70 was? Sadly I don't have the relevant WTT.

Cardiff locos not unknown on ECML there is a shot on this thread of another namer....

But have to agree I suspect not D1669 which was green FYE by July - although both D1669 and D1969 were Crewe built and delivered with Serck rad grilles so other than the lack of nameplate both fit the photo

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Slight correction to the caption of 1A16. From the formation seen, it is the 12th June to 16th Sept summer months 10:00 KX-Edinburgh - The Flying Scotsman - that didn't have an Aberdeen portion at the front, the whole train being for Edinburgh. The Aberdeen coaches were carried on the summer relief train at 10:10.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the photo's of Pilmoor. It is on the 'Racing section' of the ECML north of York, and the photo's show trains racing by the camera. That train hauled by the 47 in the first photo' is short at four coaches. I wonder if it was a portion to Middlesborough?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

4 coach train - well spotted Rob, a nice train to model. Some of us are just too loco centric......

I would politely query the ID on that one, given that D1669 was named "PYTHON" in March 1966, less than a year earlier, and the loco in the photograph shows no sign of having carried nameplates. It wasn't unknown for the Western 47s to shed one or both plates but, AFAIK, "PYTHON" didn't lose its plates until 1972/1973, after which it never carried them (or replacements) again.

• RMweb Gold

Pilmoor Class 46 D147 Newcastle to Liverpool?? March 67 J790

1B84 was the 14.25 Newcastle - York in 1968. It looks like a GUV has been added on the rear to me.

Pilmoor Class 47 D1669 down Feb 67 J776

1N70 was 10.30 Bristol - Newcastle in 1968, but the train would not have been four coaches, so it is probably a different working. It looks to be a mid-afternoon photo though.

I would politely query the ID on that one, given that D1669 was named "PYTHON" in March 1966, less than a year earlier, and the loco in the photograph shows no sign of having carried nameplates. It wasn't unknown for the Western 47s to shed one or both plates but, AFAIK, "PYTHON" didn't lose its plates until 1972/1973, after which it never carried them (or replacements) again.

Apologies for restating something that had already been raised. I thought that I was on the last page when I responded and missed the earlier, similar replies! It's an age thing.  :no:

• RMweb Gold

Pilmoor Class 46 D147 Newcastle to Liverpool?? March 67 J790

1B84 was the 14.25 Newcastle - York in 1968. It looks like a GUV has been added on the rear to me.

Pilmoor Class 47 D1669 down Feb 67 J776

1N70 was 10.30 Bristol - Newcastle in 1968, but the train would not have been four coaches, so it is probably a different working. It looks to be a mid-afternoon photo though.

Thanks Stovepipe.

The 1N70 would have been an afternoon photo - we hardly ever went to Pilmoor in the morning.  Perhaps between 2 and 3.30 pm.

David

• RMweb Premium

The 'Austerity' saddletank in the Shildon photos is better known as 'Gamma' from Vane Tempest colliery in Seaham.  It is extant at Tanfield.  In one of Tom Heavyside's books about industrial steam, a young me can be seen on the footplate in several shots at Vane Tempest! 

• Like 1