Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

J661 posted yesterday is a terrific shot; oozing in period atmosphere, and a lovely composition too with the loco framed nicely by the corner of the roof and chimney stack. If it wasn't for the passing train you could probably hear the sound of the car's unseen owner rummaging around in his toolbox looking for the correct size spanner. One of your very best, David. Thank you!

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1

Today is not going according to plan so am posting the photos now while I get the chance.

Photos on the Midland today in the Erewash Valley and around Trent.

attachicon.gift Trowell Class 45 down light engine April 75 C1935.jpg

Trowell Class 45 down light engine April 75 C1935

attachicon.gifMeadow Lane LC Class 45 up Jan 79 C4257.jpg

Meadow Lane LC Class 45 up Jan 79 C4257

David

Nice set of photos once again David. I'm going to suggest that the Trowell Class 45 in C1935 is 45141. It's an ETH fitted 45 and the 2nd number looks to be a 4. The only one of the 4514X that had a single center headcode at No2 end was 45141.

The Meadow Lane class 45 I suggest is 45104 as the last number looks to be a 4 and the only loco with the right size nameplate, ETH fitted, a single center headcode No1 end and ending in a 4 is 45104.

Thank you again for sharing your collection of photos with us.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Erewash Valley and Trent photos. The last one of 45104 at Meadow Hall, has some great weathering effects on bothering loco and the Mk1 carriages. Good reference for weathering.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed. Since it's not labeled David, it's D9004 Queen's Own Highlander

And of today's batch, the two Peaks look like: C1935 = 45141 and C4257 = 45104

Hi, Andrew. I gave the identity of that Deltic yesterday. It's just that Dave has not got round to altering the caption.

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Andrew. I gave the identity of that Deltic yesterday. It's just that Dave has not got round to altering the caption.

Best regards,

Rob.

The Deltic is on 1A26 the 12:00 Kings Cross - Edinburgh / Aberdeen. Only the first two coaches (BCK and SK) continue to Aberdeen,  which explains why there is also a BSK as the third coach.

• RMweb Gold

Best regards,

Rob.

Yesterday I was a bit busy, today has not been a good day.  Things may improve tomorrow depending on the outcome of Mum's hospital appointment.  

Hopefully normal service will then resume with regard to captioning (and to removing some marks from the images and sorting out colour balance).

David

Edited by DaveF

Yesterday I was a bit busy, today has not been a good day.  Things may improve tomorrow depending on the outcome of Mum's hospital appointment.  

Hopefully normal service will then resume with regard to captioning (and to removing some marks from the images and sorting out colour balance).

David

Take your time - first priorities first. It's only train pics here after all.

Hi Dave,

Fabulous playing catch-up on here, the fact the train is not filling the whole frame give us modellers great environmental detail surrounding our railways of yesteryear, love it!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo's that were taken in Yorkshire. C4332 is indeed very helpful with the weathering of the ex LMS coke wagons. Interesting to see some photo's of the  South Yorkshire Joint Railway. You don't see many photo's of the railway.

I'm glad your Mum is not as bad as feared.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Glad to hear all went well Dave

And Rotherwood sidings with - as EW says - fantastic coke hoppers!

Happy days in the early 70s, visiting this site in our Austin Westminster....

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo's that were taken in Yorkshire. C4332 is indeed very helpful with the weathering of the ex LMS coke wagons. Interesting to see some photo's of the  South Yorkshire Joint Railway. You don't see many photo's of the railway.

I'm glad your Mum is not as bad as feared.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Pedant mode.

They aren't the ex LMS cokes, they are BR's development and build of them.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Do I take it that the colliery had a coking plant by it - or are they mining coke as well as treacle in Yorkshire?

There was indeed a coke works, the ovens closed in 1990.

Wikipedia page:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orgreave_Colliery

I've no idea how accurate that information is.

I can't find anything else really useful on the web about it.

David

There was indeed a coke works, the ovens closed in 1990.

Wikipedia page:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orgreave_Colliery

I've no idea how accurate that information is.

I can't find anything else really useful on the web about it.

David

Infamous place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Orgreave

Around this time we were doing site visits in connection with our planned Woodhead layout and saw several lorry convoys