Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

My sound fitted Radial arrived today.  The sound seems a bit quiet, has anyone else got this issue and if so what did you do to overcome it?

The speakers on the model are small, but quiet is relative. Against a large base speaker fitted model (such as my C class), it is quiet. It is also quiet against big sugar cube types but not small ones.

My video below shows a Radial vs C class vs King :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rTqLXA0bxbU

Interesting video, thanks for sharing.  Certainly to my ear the Radial sounds comparative to your other steam loco, and slightly quieter than the Class 20's due to them having a 'tickover' being diesel.

So I might be lucky and have a duff, or my batch hasn't been configured properly.  Time for a dig round the CV's I think.

• Like 1

Anyone else had problems with excessive wheel spin on the Adams? I have exchanged mine twice but still the same problem as the driving wheels have no traction and it comes to a grinding halt on any point or crossover - Peco code 100...

Did you get anywhere with this? It is a regular problem well known to those who model lines which featured many locos with carrying wheels both leading and trailing the driven wheels. The model needs to be arranged such that most of the weight (80 - 90%) bears on the driven wheels at all times, and there is minimal drag from the carrying wheels.

Quick test of whether the loco is heavy enough for the traction required on the layout. Take the carrying wheels off, test the loco for traction with the maximum load it has to move on the most problematic location of the layout. If it slips anywhere, add weight until it doesn't.

If that's good then (doubtless documented earlier in this thread) there are three main aspects to look at:

The carrying wheels should all spin freely, easy to test while off the loco.

Any springing on the carrying wheels should be soft, and only sufficient for track holding, no more.

Check that the flanges do not foul on the body work underside, may be necessary to cut arches for clearance or fit wheelsets with finer flanges or of below scale diameter. (This can be difficult on small locos with large diameter carrying wheels that barely clear under low footplating, a regular feature of Victorian era designs.)

• 1 month later...

I have searched this site but I cannot find an answer. Is there a consensus as to which is the best model : the Oxford or the Hornby ? I know the early Hornby models had some wiring issues but I assume that this has been dealt with at the factory by now.

Edited by brian777999

Did they really paint locomotives that shade of green ?

Hi Brian,

Yes they did. It is the LSWR Adams livery, which was replaced later on by the more elaborate Drummond livery. I'm really hoping that this livery will eventually be done by either Oxford or Hornby. Hornby have already done an excellent job of the Drummond livery on their M7.

Cheers,

Chris

I got my Hornby for just a shade over £5 difference in price, and the appearance is so much better!  Some may be able to ignore the boiler block, but for me it was a definite 'deal-breaker'!

I got my Hornby for just a shade over £5 difference in price, and the appearance is so much better!  Some may be able to ignore the boiler block, but for me it was a definite 'deal-breaker'!

Although as described and illustrated up thread, a simple modification which took about 30 minutes fixes this completely. Savings for the screw driver brigade! (Essentially remove flywheel, then move motor closer to gear tower, leaving the underboiler space clear.)

I have searched this site but I cannot find an answer. Is there a consensus as to which is the best model : the Oxford or the Hornby ? I know the early Hornby models had some wiring issues but I assume that this has been dealt with at the factory by now.

They are fairly close to one and other.

Me personally:

Hornby does not have that block under the boiler but is spoiled  by the trailing wheel set up, which is pony like, causes a little bit of daylight to appear (where it should not) and the rear chassis frame swinging round corners (it is fixed in real life).

On the other hand the Hornby front bogie set up is much better, with greater play and pivoted in the centre (Oxfords is to the rear of the bogie).

The first BR run of Oxford's had issues, front bogie too tight, mine had a slight curved running plate and bits which dropped off. Then there was the silver painted handrails. But after that it did get better.

The DCC sound version is a delight. Speakers discreetly fitted under the cab/firebox, the chipped programed to give an accurate chuff rate.

I got the EKR version, for which I think the green is too light (almost LSWR colours), the EKR only physically had the loco on their railways from 1922, it would have been painted in an SR green (not Olive, probably the station buildings green).

Originally I thought they had it in 1919 (i;e I could run it with SECR stuff) but not so.

• RMweb Premium

Having started this thread way back in the dawn of time, I have just acquired one at last.  Gaugemaster at Ford were knocking them out at 59.95 plus 10% discount if you spent over £100 last Sunday.  It is fine apart from no DCC capability which I don't want anyway.

One question though, the numerals on 30582, the don't look quite right to me so I may change them.

Although as described and illustrated up thread, a simple modification which took about 30 minutes fixes this completely. Savings for the screw driver brigade! (Essentially remove flywheel, then move motor closer to gear tower, leaving the underboiler space clear.)

That may well leave the under boiler space clear, but for me, having the LSWR version that would then leave filling in with a lower boiler cladding (not too difficult) but also paint matching to the LSWR green colour!

If Oxford's version was the only one available then it would be a very good model. But the competition is a much finer model ...

The Oxford product nevertheless remains a good model, and it has one feature definitely superior to the Hornby model in the mounting of the rear carrying wheel. Had it been launched at the same time as Bachmann's first Blue Riband steam models and the Hornby rebuilt MN - none of which were 'perfect' -  I have no doubt it would have been seen as overall equivalent to those items

But without a doubt, what Oxford have to struggle with is the torrent of steadily improving product we have seen since. It's quite a big hill to climb, matching the standard of the  best of what we are now accustomed to. Evaluated against this background, I feel the Radial is a fair first effort: the potential to improve from this point is there.

There is content on their website on the subject. Claimed to have their own factory, and there were photographs of both the interior, and outside at what looked like the factory gate; the principal posing with the factory manager on receipt of an award, there was some Chinese text on view which might give a hint to location.

http://www.oxfordrail.com/General.htm

The Oxford product nevertheless remains a good model, and it has one feature definitely superior to the Hornby model in the mounting of the rear carrying wheel. Had it been launched at the same time as Bachmann's first Blue Riband steam models and the Hornby rebuilt MN - none of which were 'perfect' -  I have no doubt it would have been seen as overall equivalent to those items

But without a doubt, what Oxford have to struggle with is the torrent of steadily improving product we have seen since. It's quite a big hill to climb, matching the standard of the  best of what we are now accustomed to. Evaluated against this background, I feel the Radial is a fair first effort: the potential to improve from this point is there.

As a teacher would say "a good start but could do better". This model has improved a lot since first release. They are listening to feedback and make corrections where they can (always difficult to justify financially on a duplicated model).

• RMweb Premium

Where do Oxford get their locomotives built ? How would you find a model locomotive factory ? I doubt that they are listed in the Chinese Yellow Pages !

They have their own factory in China. This is why their prices are so competitive.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is content on their website on the subject. Claimed to have their own factory, and there were photographs of both the interior, and outside at what looked like the factory gate; the principal posing with the factory manager on receipt of an award, there was some Chinese text on view which might give a hint to location.

http://www.oxfordrail.com/General.htm

Seeing as their is a big Oxford sign in that image, I wouldnt say they "claimed" to have their own factory. More, they "do" have their own factory.

• RMweb Gold

Just returned from a holiday in China; fascinating country and went with  really good travel company. The guides were all very competent, all graduates and excellent English language skills and very open about their society. I asked several different people if it was possible to 'own' a business in China if you were not Chinese. They all said no. So it is perfectly possible that a factory can make products for one company but as I understand it ultimately the firm/factory will be 'owned' by someone who is Chinese. I have also been given the same information by someone who works closely with model railway manufacturers in China.

Godfrey

Just returned from a holiday in China; fascinating country and went with  really good travel company. The guides were all very competent, all graduates and excellent English language skills and very open about their society. I asked several different people if it was possible to 'own' a business in China if you were not Chinese. They all said no. So it is perfectly possible that a factory can make products for one company but as I understand it ultimately the firm/factory will be 'owned' by someone who is Chinese. I have also been given the same information by someone who works closely with model railway manufacturers in China.

Godfrey

In the past the Chinese would build you a factory as well as supply the staff to work there.

It would be like a partnership where you take a large slice of the profits for a set number of years.

The benefit for the Chinese is that they would have employment for their workers of which they were many.

This was back in the 90's when I was there.

Don't know it that's all changed now ?

Edited by amdaley
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just returned from a holiday in China; fascinating country and went with really good travel company. The guides were all very competent, all graduates and excellent English language skills and very open about their society. I asked several different people if it was possible to 'own' a business in China if you were not Chinese. They all said no. So it is perfectly possible that a factory can make products for one company but as I understand it ultimately the firm/factory will be 'owned' by someone who is Chinese. I have also been given the same information by someone who works closely with model railway manufacturers in China.

Godfrey

I think you will find that there are quite a few businesses in China not owned by the Chinese. The likes of Google spring to mind. It is recommended to gave a Chinese partner involved.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

I think you will find that there are quite a few businesses in China not owned by the Chinese. The likes of Google spring to mind. It is recommended to gave a Chinese partner involved.

Roy

That means nothing

What about Virgin - given the way Mr Branson loves to apply the brand to all sorts of things a ill-informed person might  conclude he owns lots. In reality the only thing he has a sizeable stake in is the airline - in virtually every other instance Mr Branson is a minority stakeholder in the enterprise and all he brings to the table is the "Virgin" brand.

Thus it is quite possible for "Google" to have a presence in China - but with the majority shareholding as it were in the hands of their local Chinese partner and thus satisfying Chinese laws.

China is, lest you forget, is still  officially a communist country still and the ruling party have been very careful to ensure that nothing else they do puts that status at risk. Therefore while the Chinese Government have successfully pursued a capitalist economic strategy over the past few decades and have, on the surface, been quite happy for Chinese citizens to adopt capitalist tendencies as regards lifestyle, this is conditional on the party still being able to keep control.

Thus while the country may well be open to international brands like Google, that is conditional on the international company entering into a partnership with a local Chinese company who have a majority shareholding in the project. Consequently the intentional outfit is unable to do anything in China that might upset the political situation and is especially true with media / internet companies - where allowing the likes of Google to operate freely could have disastrous results for the Communist party and their attempts to prevent dissent or discussions over democracy or human rights for example.

So when Oxford say 'they' own a factory in China it is quite likely that is not true in the strictest sense of the word. Oxford may well 'own' 49% of the factory or are part of a partnership that itself owns a factory dedicated to making Oxford products but as with all things in china such a facility is only possible because producing models for western consumers does not pose a threat* to the Communist party

* if Oxford wanted to produce model buses with "free Tibet" slogans all over them then its a sure bet that 'problems' would soon be found by the Chinese and Oxford would quite quickly find themselves without a factory unless they complied with Chinese sensibilities on the subject