Bachmann 2016 Announcements

Andy Y

Shame they never corrected the position of all the side windows, they are far too high,  Shame really, just a little bit of care would have spotted this. See the NSE version. Charlie

There's a 24 page thread on the Bachmann 101 when it first came out, and the window problem was flagged up then.  One detailed post on this is here,

http://www.rmweb.co....-101/?p=1327087

so Charlie is spot on with this, unfortunately.

Lima/Hornby.   :wink_mini:

If you want a green one, the Hornby one is the best bet. Not only was Lima green a bit odd (IMO), they also included the roof pod above the cab which wasnt an original fitment.  Hornby removed this prior to re-release.

There are some good articles around for sorting out the underframe, or a Hornby body/Bachmann chassis hybrid could be enacted.

edited due to my inability to spell 'the'.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if thats the reason that it seems to be lingering on the shop shelves longer than I'd have expected. The prototype units were absolutely everywhere and I'd think there would bound to be a good market if the model is right

Plus the cost I should think

The other reason is that I think people have been waiting for 3 car units not just the two car unit supplied.  Only trouble is if they would really need to modify underframe of the two car unit to add engines  to produce a three car one, if you see what I mean. its not just a case of providing a center coach .  The cost would then probably be even less attractive given Bachmann seem to be charging £55-£69  a coach these days.  Overall its not such a major advance on the Limby one, certainly not to justify the price

I wonder if thats the reason that it seems to be lingering on the shop shelves longer than I'd have expected. The prototype units were absolutely everywhere and I'd think there would bound to be a good market if the model is right

For me it's too many different things to buy and not enough cash!  ALthough not cheap I don't think this it priced exorbitantly. I will get one before long but not a priority as I have 2 108s,  2 150s and a 153 to keep me busy in the DMU department. 

• RMweb Premium

He is very probably right about their suitability.  Rail traction is by far the worst duty for diesel engines - lots of idling followed by bursts of high output gives rise to lots of thermal fatigue. In contrast, marine main propulsion and auxiliary engines have a very cushy life with many hours at relatively constant output.  Quite a few of the engines in the early BR modernisation suffered from thermal fatigue.  For more details on the problem see R.M.Tufnell, The Diesel Impact on British Rail. Mechanical Engineering Publications 1979.  This is an excellent read and source of information.

peterfgf

That has always been the assumption but many marine applications impose very severe load cycling on the engines, the best example is dynamically positioned vessels where the engines can be fluctuating constantly or operating at minimum stable load for extended periods depending on weather and current.

• RMweb Premium

Plus the cost I should think

The other reason is that I think people have been waiting for 3 car units not just the two car unit supplied.  Only trouble is if they would really need to modify underframe of the two car unit to add engines  to produce a three car one, if you see what I mean. its not just a case of providing a center coach .  The cost would then probably be even less attractive given Bachmann seem to be charging £55-£69  a coach these days.  Overall its not such a major advance on the Limby one, certainly not to justify the price

After the really tip top Bachmann Class 108 and 105 models and their outstanding SR third rail EMUs I was really looking forward to the Class 101 but I must admit I found it to be disappointing. I wouldn't call it a "bad" model and it captures the look of the 108 pretty well whereas their other DMU models knocked my socks off I found the 101 just felt rather ordinary and whilst it is better than the Hornby (Lima) model in some ways I think that in others it really doesn't move things on from the older model. I was expecting this to be the definitive 101 but it just isn't in my opinion.

• RMweb Gold

A friend of mine was a project engineer at Cummins and worked on their Class 158 engine project. He always tells me that the main weakness with the engines was that they weren't really the most appropriate engines for the duty cycle. He has quite an equal opportunities approach in sharing the blame equally between BREL and Cummins for that. I'm not sure how right he is (I think we all know how reliable anecdotal stories are, even when those with the anecdotes believe they are accurate) but he told me the commercial model used for the 158 engines was very different to earlier projects and that this drove some poor decisions.

Wasn't the Cummins rocker and cam shafts what let them down was it? If so, very sorry I use to work on the L10 line which did the cummins parts. Grinding the OD was my job. Along with Tank engine parts for the US only to dump them in the sea. To get round some treaty.

Must admit I was looking forward to Bachmann's 101. But on seeing it in the flesh I was very disappointed that they had got the windows so wrong.

So i  bought a s/h Hornby. At least the underframe can be brought up to today's standards but the windows would mean 4/6 whole new sides.

With a repaint and new underframe/bogies it out classes the Bachmann offering.

Tried the 108 chassis under a Lima 101 body but the 108 is a tad longer and will need a couple of mil taken of the lenght to fit.

But this might just be down to the shape.

Cheers Trailrage

I suppose a (rather expensive) option is Hornby/Lima body with Bachmann chassis....has anyone ever tried it?

you shouldn't really need to go to the length of replacing a body on a recently issued £150 model to get the windows right!!

• 3 weeks later...

you shouldn't really need to go to the length of replacing a body on a recently issued £150 model to get the windows right!!

It surprises me that they have reissued this model given that it is so seriously defective.  I am no pedant but it just doesn't look right.  How do obvious mistakes like this get through the production process?

From an enthusiasts point of view it is far easier to update a Hornby 101 surely?  And you could do that for a fraction of the price...

I suppose a (rather expensive) option is Hornby/Lima body with Bachmann chassis....has anyone ever tried it?

The power unit and low friction all-wheel pick of the Bachmann BR 1st gen. DMU running gear is a very good option for a repower project. Given that some modelling activity is going to be required, and the generic similarity of the running gear of these DMU's, I would suggest that a way ahead is to pick out whatever among these classes is on best current offer. (Hattons at £72.50 for the class 108 as an example.) If you bought that 108 and used the running gear suitably modified for installation in older class 101 bodies, you would still have the class 108 bodies for sale s/h to further reduce the net spend. The lack of body spares works for you in this situation, there's got be one or two modellers out there with a 108 body damaged beyond repair.

Minor learning point on Bach DMU's, but may only apply to the class 105 model. I bought a 'power twin' 105 in order to use the unpowered running gear (with the engine and other tackle modelled on the underside) to swap with the motorised end of a regular 105 set and thus make it unpowered, as one model motor unit is more than adequate to run a permanent four car set. And what did I find? - the clip on points between body and chassis are different between powered and unpowered models of the motored car - didn't expect that.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

They are still knocking out GWR toad brake vans which weren't that good back in Mainline days; modern ones are exactly the same except for the NEM.  And charging the best part of £20. 

There is (allegedly) a new one coming in 2017 with separate handrails, but to be still flogging this sort of horse which is not only dead but turned into glue is inexcusable.

Ah, there's nothing like a good rant to set you up for the day...

• RMweb Premium

It's amazing that with just 11 days left in the year we still have an active thread about the 2016 announcements.

I'd anticipate it running through to 2018 and perhaps 2019, given the rate of deliveries.

• RMweb Premium

They are still knocking out GWR toad brake vans which weren't that good back in Mainline days; modern ones are exactly the same except for the NEM.  And charging the best part of £20. 

There is (allegedly) a new one coming in 2017 with separate handrails,

Hornby has announced a new Toad brake van for 2017, perhaps that's the one you have heard about...?

It's amazing that with just 11 days left in the year we still have an active thread about the 2016 announcements.

This one is still pinned at the top of the Bachmann list.

Blame the boss if you must, but there's no need to.

The 2017 speculation thread is at 7 pages right now.

Archived