Bachmann 2016 Announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I expect the new chassis will be immediately identifiable as having a crosshead mounting bracket and much better wheels, while the body will look bl**dy awful.... 

I've always considered the worst aspect of the old model to be the rear pony-truck area under the cab and bunker.

I added dummy frames and sandboxes from Plasticard to mine to hide the mess. Hopefully, the new chassis will be rather less unconvincing in that department.

The mechanism is now on its last legs with the wheels through to brass in places, so a new one is definitely needed. The old loco will get a kit-built chassis when I get round to building it.

John

Kernow have the Ivatt 2MT in stock with pics, looks good.

N

I know a new body wasn't promised, but that chimney - surely that at least could have been titivated !!

Oh well - now who is it who provides the best replacement turning / casting?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Photos here 

https://railsofsheffield.com/ivatt-class-2mt-2-6-2-tank-41243-br-lined-black-early-emblem-free-uk-post-31-440-Bachmann-JJJA18868.aspx?utm_source=Mailing+List&utm_campaign=34f13035aa-Big_New_Releases_from_Bachmann_Graham_Fa8_9_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_74d01bc2ed-34f13035aa-5244381

I thought the recent V1/3 was poor for the money being asked.

Bachmann have excelled on this look at the Smokebox and surrounding area, heavy mould lines and diabolical fit of parts , then look at the fit quality of the Cab Roof and Bunker areas etc, all very poor and thats is being polite.

Photos here 

https://railsofsheffield.com/ivatt-class-2mt-2-6-2-tank-41243-br-lined-black-early-emblem-free-uk-post-31-440-Bachmann-JJJA18868.aspx?utm_source=Mailing+List&utm_campaign=34f13035aa-Big_New_Releases_from_Bachmann_Graham_Fa8_9_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_74d01bc2ed-34f13035aa-5244381

I thought the recent V1/3 was poor for the money being asked.

Bachmann have excelled on this look at the Smokebox and surrounding area, heavy mould lines and diabolical fit of parts , then look at the fit quality of the Cab Roof and Bunker areas etc, all very poor and thats is being polite.

..... and the crosshead is about to drop out of the slidebars - 'cos the lower slidebar is about to drop out itself.

Who thought that a half-hearted (aka chassis-only) refurb. was a good idea?

Ahh well!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

At the risk of sounding like a price whinger I do think it is reasonable to expect a better product if the price is suddenly inflated. This release does have a better chassis which is good but the rest of the model is just not worth the money. I think if this was released as the equivalent of a Railroad model at Railroad pricing it'd be fair enough but at this price it just looks way over priced and poor value for money.

• RMweb Gold

Who thought that a half-hearted (aka chassis-only) refurb. was a good idea?

Graham Hubbard (MD from Bachmann Europe's founding until this year) and David Haarhuis (Sales Director at the time these were announced, now MD) must do. These rechassised 2-6-2Ts (Ivatt and Gresley) have been a very long time in the coming and for the whole of that time Bachmann have always said it was a chassis only refurb. Why is anyone surprised and horrified now when we've had three years notice that this is what they intended to do?

And David obviously still believes it is a good idea, since he announced chassis only refurbs for the J39, J72 and Parallel Boiler Royal Scot this year. Another thread suggests the only reason the Manor hasn't had the same treatment is that the factory has broken the main body mould. Any guesses for the Churchward and Collett 2-6-0s and the Lord Nelson in 2018?

At the risk of sounding like a price whinger I do think it is reasonable to expect a better product if the price is suddenly inflated. This release does have a better chassis which is good but the rest of the model is just not worth the money. I think if this was released as the equivalent of a Railroad model at Railroad pricing it'd be fair enough but at this price it just looks way over priced and poor value for money.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the UK voted to leave the EU in June. As a direct consequence, the value of the pound against other major world currencies has plummeted. That includes China of course. Inevitably models made in China and invoiced post-Brexit-vote will end up costing more in pounds, unless there was a fixed price contract and the price was in pounds. As the Bachmann group includes both the factory in China and the marketing company in the UK, they could take the loss in China, take the loss in the UK, or pass the exchange rate variation on to the consumer. This is only the beginning - as more models arrive later in the year from China for UK distribution by Hornby, Bachmann, Dapol, the Chinese-made bits of Heljan etc, the exchange rate will increase the price.

Whether you think a model is value for money is always your own decision, but we're going to have to adjust our mental baselines of what constitutes a fair price. That may mean buying fewer models.

• RMweb Gold

I don't know if you've noticed, but the UK voted to leave the EU in June. As a direct consequence, the value of the pound against other major world currencies has plummeted. That includes China of course. Inevitably models made in China and invoiced post-Brexit-vote will end up costing more in pounds, unless there was a fixed price contract and the price was in pounds. As the Bachmann group includes both the factory in China and the marketing company in the UK, they could take the loss in China, take the loss in the UK, or pass the exchange rate variation on to the consumer. This is only the beginning - as more models arrive later in the year from China for UK distribution by Hornby, Bachmann, Dapol, the Chinese-made bits of Heljan etc, the exchange rate will increase the price.

Whether you think a model is value for money is always your own decision, but we're going to have to adjust our mental baselines of what constitutes a fair price. That may mean buying fewer models.

The £ is down 21% in the 18mth or so this Brexit debate rumbled on. Though most of it is since June.

I think it depends on the manufacturer, some may have hedged the £ for 2016 and not notice it, some may directly feel it at time of delivery. I'd imagine the margin OEM cost of a model going up 20% may only add £5-10 to a model, but when it comes to paying £100k for a new tooling that's going to add significant cost to the model, and correspondingly reduce its sales potential...at that point is it worth doing at all ?

Sadly whilst Bachmann maybe criticised for retooling chassis but not the body...that maybe the better of two evils for many years to come...as new toolings could be about to add significantly to the 20% annual Chinese salary rates and the 20% Brexit cost... £200-250 rrp for a dcc ready tender loco may become the norm..I'd imagine the hobby and a number of manufacturers too would decline too at that point as I'm not convinced people have enough money to sustain their purchasing power at that level.

Sadly I don't think the £'s slide has finished yet, all we saw was the initial panic, if once the negotiations start, the deal doesn't go our way the £ will continue its descent to inevitable parity with the USD...at which point the rrp of a model will be closer to £275.

Now back to the ivatt... Expensive maybe, but if there was a new body tooling attached, reading the above....what price would it be...? At least there is an Ivatt with a retooled chassis available for several years to come as I doubt anyone else is going to jump in and do one in the current market.

Graham Hubbard (MD from Bachmann Europe's founding until this year) and David Haarhuis (Sales Director at the time these were announced, now MD) must do. These rechassised 2-6-2Ts (Ivatt and Gresley) have been a very long time in the coming and for the whole of that time Bachmann have always said it was a chassis only refurb. Why is anyone surprised and horrified now when we've had three years notice that this is what they intended to do?

And David obviously still believes it is a good idea, since he announced chassis only refurbs for the J39, J72 and Parallel Boiler Royal Scot this year. Another thread suggests the only reason the Manor hasn't had the same treatment is that the factory has broken the main body mould. Any guesses for the Churchward and Collett 2-6-0s and the Lord Nelson in 2018?

I see no reference to the build quality of the illustrated model - the originally introduced model was MUCH better in this respect.

If Bachmann, or anyone else, release such poorly assembled models then they can expect adverse comment.

...... and just because we had three year's notice of a bad idea, does not make it a good one - especially when the original body was not up to Bachmann's usual standards all those years ago!

Just look at the illustration - in a non-partisan and subjective manner - can you really say that it can compete in the current market at the price point set for it? I think not!

So - anyone prepared to do a bit of work on the model can expect to pick up a "BARGAIN !" in the months to come.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

I see no reference to the build quality of the illustrated model - the originally introduced model was MUCH better in this respect.

If Bachmann, or anyone else, release such poorly assembled models then they can expect adverse comment.

...... and just because we had three year's notice of a bad idea, does not make it a good one - especially when the original body was not up to Bachmann's usual standards all those years ago!

Just look at the illustration - in a non-partisan and subjective manner - can you really say that it can compete in the current market at the price point set for it? I think not!

So - anyone prepared to do a bit of work on the model can expect to pick up a "BARGAIN !" in the months to come.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Have to wait and see, a while back there was much criticism of the modified hall... It's still pretty much sold out.

As for competing in the market place.. The only other tank engine of comparative size in the market (outside Bachmann) is Hornbys forthcoming Fowler 2-6-4T.. It's £124 rrp (and won't be here till next year so +Brexit£ to that price)... That toolings 30 odd years old,,.and also was beneficiary of a chassis upgrade with little to the body.

It's like it or lump it when it comes to little LMS tank engines, If the qty made matches the price point for the demand.. then I'd expect that it will sell out. If that means some who aren't prepared to pay for it miss out..so be it...but this one is DCC ready.. The 000's of 2nd hand ones out there aren't.

• RMweb Gold

I take your point about build quality, John, but until forum members take delivery of actual models we won't know if this is a general malaise or confined to examples photographed by Rails and Kernow. I've got one on order, and will be happy to add my contribution to the common knowledge when it comes, if it is assembled badly, I'll say so. But I have several Ivatt 2-6-2Ts of the split chassis variety already, and I've already done detailing work on them, while the chassis are pretty much worn out, and I've never been totally happy with my DCC conversions of them. I wouldn't mind picking up unsold/cheap new-chassis Ivatts for the sake of the chassis to sit under my existing bodies, even if the new bodies are rubbish. Gives me more time to keep building those wagon kits with CCT transfers....

My point about the three years notice, is that the time to start an outcry about re-chassising as opposed to total retooling is when the model is announced and the manufacturer might be persuaded to do things differently. Exactly the same thing happened when Hornby started their "Limby" reissues, so it isn't a partisan thing at all.

What's the betting that once the J72 and J39s arrive people who have said not a word on Rmweb or elsewhere so far this year about them will say the sky is falling? To be fair, there are people here who have complained about the J39 plans. but I've seen no comments about the J72, and just think how old that tooling is...

...I don't know if you've noticed, but the UK voted to leave the EU in June. As a direct consequence, the value of the pound against other major world currencies has plummeted...

No it has not 'plummeted' so stop talking it down. Currency exchange rates fluctuate daily and in fact the greatest change was in mid-June before the outcome of the referendum was known and there will be another reason for that, such as an announcement that the Chinese economy had slowed down further for yet another quarter. To make such an inaccurate statement shows ignorance of the need to also make reference to the relative strengths and weakness of the UK and in this instance the Chinese economies to understand the true context. Further most international trading organisations use 'hedging' to manage currency fluctuations.

This is what it could have looked like with a new boiler and chassis. I modified mine seven years ago. The chassis and boiler with improved smokebox door, chimney and dome was removed from the 2-6-0 version and married to the 2-6-2T tanks, cab and bunker. The only new construction was a brass rear truck and plastikard frames under bunker.....

post-6680-0-81490600-1470818032_thumb.jpg

Far beit from me to suggest the obvious and wait for the final revamped model, but I know what I would do. The hobby is already chock full of half-measure locos in the form of Britannias, Castles, Halls, Counties, V2's etc etc to trap the unwary when buying second-hand....

post-6680-0-12883200-1470818035_thumb.jpg

I take your point about build quality, John, but until forum members take delivery of actual models we won't know if this is a general malaise or confined to examples photographed by Rails and Kernow. I've got one on order, and will be happy to add my contribution to the common knowledge when it comes, if it is assembled badly, I'll say so. But I have several Ivatt 2-6-2Ts of the split chassis variety already, and I've already done detailing work on them, while the chassis are pretty much worn out, and I've never been totally happy with my DCC conversions of them. I wouldn't mind picking up unsold/cheap new-chassis Ivatts for the sake of the chassis to sit under my existing bodies, even if the new bodies are rubbish. Gives me more time to keep building those wagon kits with CCT transfers....

My point about the three years notice, is that the time to start an outcry about re-chassising as opposed to total retooling is when the model is announced and the manufacturer might be persuaded to do things differently. Exactly the same thing happened when Hornby started their "Limby" reissues, so it isn't a partisan thing at all.

What's the betting that once the J72 and J39s arrive people who have said not a word on Rmweb or elsewhere so far this year about them will say the sky is falling? To be fair, there are people here who have complained about the J39 plans. but I've seen no comments about the J72, and just think how old that tooling is...

Bachmann have already realised they have shot themselves in the foot by now changing direction and are backtracking to redo the V2 Body as well. The J39 is a reasonable body as is the J72, when compared to the Ivatt offering.

The V2 was heavily criticised on here and elsewhere when announced as a chassis only version because the Body is simply diabolical compared to current standards. The archaic Tender on the V2 and B1  isn't much better either !!.

Bachmann are naive in the extreme to expect to sell the V1/3 and Ivatt offerings , when they are matched against modern models. At best  they are their version of a "Railroad Range"  and compare well with the standard of  Hornbys new chassis on the D49 and others. But in this case these are  highly overpriced . They should be branded as their  "Railroad Type Range" and priced as such.

• RMweb Gold

Old wine in new bottles? Unfortunately,that does not mean they were necessarily correct in their judgement,does it ? The argument in this thread is not about vast price hikes.That one dates back two years to July 2014 when Bachmann suffered their epiphany on price rises on this forum.I still carry the scars of attempts to defend them.

No ,this is about value for money.Does the rechassied Ivatt represent that ? Plainly it does not.It might be salutary to compare the price asked with that of the Bachmann manufactured USA tank loco which is entirely new.That is the perception most of us will carry,like it or not.Why ask more for this ?

Your argument is a worthy one but subject to the vagaries of speculation. We don't know how currency variations will bear out in the long term...not yet awhile,so prophesy of doom just may be a little premature.True we have a newly incumbent PM who appears to be deeply suspicious of China and we don't know how that will play out.

Yes your post does convey home truths ...but they are already well-aired....by me and by a few others.However,despite griping about cost (also a well trodden path,don't we know it ? ) if the product is good,we bite the bullet and buy it evwn though it hurts.

Coming up soon are some mouth watering models at eye-watering prices :SECR Birdcage coaches,re-designed Thompson stock,Stanier 5MT 2-6-0 for example....about which much wind has already been griped.

Yes,I'll buy if I can still afford it because I judge it'll be excellent and IMHO (note thet,please) value for my pound....or yen.The Ivatt tank is not..also IMHO.That is essentially what this is about :angel:

• RMweb Gold

No it has not 'plummeted' so stop talking it down. Currency exchange rates fluctuate daily and in fact the greatest change was in mid-June before the outcome of the referendum was known and there will be another reason for that, such as an announcement that the Chinese economy had slowed down further for yet another quarter. To make such an inaccurate statement shows ignorance of the need to also make reference to the relative strengths and weakness of the UK and in this instance the Chinese economies to understand the true context. Further most international trading organisations use 'hedging' to manage currency fluctuations.

Andy Y will probably frown on this, but if drops of 7.5% against the Chinese Yen Renminbi, 12.75% against the US Dollar, and 10.69% against the Euro in the less than two months since polling day aren't "plummeting" how would they be described? The slow down in China would mean that the market would mark down the Chinese currency as well as sterling - and that's exactly what the percentages show. Though if RMWeb had the remotest influence on the world currency markets perhaps Andy York would be flattered rather than annoyed - certainly Warners would be delighted, as it might become a major profit source.

Why is it OK to "talk down" a model on a forum dedicated to, er, models, but not to "talk down" a currency on the same forum - especially since it can be backed up with numbers?

And do organisations as small as model railway manufacturers and distributors really go in for currency hedging? If they do, watch out when this year's hedges run out.

• RMweb Gold

Andy Y will probably frown on this, but if drops of 7.5% against the Chinese Yen Renminbi, 12.75% against the US Dollar, and 10.69% against the Euro in the less than two months since polling day aren't "plummeting" how would they be described? The slow down in China would mean that the market would mark down the Chinese currency as well as sterling - and that's exactly what the percentages show. Though if RMWeb had the remotest influence on the world currency markets perhaps Andy York would be flattered rather than annoyed - certainly Warners would be delighted, as it might become a major profit source.

Why is it OK to "talk down" a model on a forum dedicated to, er, models, but not to "talk down" a currency on the same forum - especially since it can be backed up with numbers?

And do organisations as small as model railway manufacturers and distributors really go in for currency hedging? If they do, watch out when this year's hedges run out.

Judging by Hornby's accounts it appears they do go in for some sort of currency hedging (or another form of provision?).

Simple fact is the £ has dropped against the US $ and model railway imports from China are paid for in US $ so depending on the time of payment and any hedging or anything else then the price will rise.  Bachmann is presumably in a slightly different situation from Hornby as it is paying internally to the parent company so might not be able to hedge currency but simply buys at the ruling exchange rate - we simply don't know the answer to that one.

But overall the message is, I agree, very much likely to be the one you state - if the £ drops, or remains unstable while Brexit is sorted, then the $ price of imports will rise/also be unstable and those buying in will have to take account of it in their RRP.

Incidentally I'm not sure where an RRP of £151 given in an earlier post comes from (and whether it has clouded debate?).  The Bachmann website shows the RRP as £129.95 (£154.95 DCC fitted) and the standard initial retailer discount of 15% which Bachmann impose results in a sellling price - for the time being - of £110 and a few pence from those who decide to discount.  Impossible of course to compare with a commissioned model where the selling price is decided by the commissioner based, obviously, on what the model concerned has cost them and how many they expect to sell - such a comparison is like comparing apples and bananas.

At £110 it still might not represent reasonable value for money, that is a personal choice; but please let's start such debates from the right place and not from misleading nonsense or grossly exaggerated prices.

Judging by Hornby's accounts it appears they do go in for some sort of currency hedging (or another form of provision?).

Simple fact is the £ has dropped against the US $ and model railway imports from China are paid for in US $ so depending on the time of payment and any hedging or anything else then the price will rise.  Bachmann is presumably in a slightly different situation from Hornby as it is paying internally to the parent company so might not be able to hedge currency but simply buys at the ruling exchange rate - we simply don't know the answer to that one.

But overall the message is, I agree, very much likely to be the one you state - if the £ drops, or remains unstable while Brexit is sorted, then the $ price of imports will rise/also be unstable and those buying in will have to take account of it in their RRP.

Incidentally I'm not sure where an RRP of £151 given in an earlier post comes from (and whether it has clouded debate?).  The Bachmann website shows the RRP as £129.95 (£154.95 DCC fitted) and the standard initial retailer discount of 15% which Bachmann impose results in a sellling price - for the time being - of £110 and a few pence from those who decide to discount.  Impossible of course to compare with a commissioned model where the selling price is decided by the commissioner based, obviously, on what the model concerned has cost them and how many they expect to sell - such a comparison is like comparing apples and bananas.

At £110 it still might not represent reasonable value for money, that is a personal choice; but please let's start such debates from the right place and not from misleading nonsense or grossly exaggerated prices.[/q]

The RRP quoted on quite a few websites, who were incidently inviting pre-orders was shown as £151, rather than the Bachmann figure of £154.95 for the DCC version. I hardly think that this is clouding the issue in this case, grossly misleading or nonsense as you describe.

Even with the 15% discount applied by the majority of retailers,you are still looking at £131.71 which is a great deal of cash for an old, outclassed model, even if it has a new chassis.

Like many others,I will still pay for quality. Personally, I think many will say that this model is simply not value for money and will vote with their wallet!

I'm well aware of currency fluctuations,the effects of brexit (which may or may not occur mid to long term) and the implications that we may be paying more for our hobby due to these factors.

At £110 it still might not represent reasonable value for money, that is a personal choice; but please let's start such debates from the right place and not from misleading nonsense or grossly exaggerated prices.[/q]

The RRP quoted on quite a few websites, who were incidently inviting pre-orders was shown as £151, rather than the Bachmann figure of £154.95 for the DCC version. I hardly think that this is clouding the issue in this case, grossly misleading or nonsense as you describe.

Even with the 15% discount applied by the majority of retailers,you are still looking at £131.71 which is a great deal of cash for an old, outclassed model, even if it has a new chassis.

Like many others,I will still pay for quality. Personally, I think many will say that this model is simply not value for money and will vote with their wallet!

I'm well aware of currency fluctuations,the effects of brexit (which may or may not occur mid to long term) and the implications that we may be paying more for our hobby due to these factors.

• RMweb Gold

Excuse the expression but to cut to the chase,the RRP for a DC version is £129.95 for DC and £154.95 for DCC.

The going rate is £110 (Track Shack post free,Rails £2 post). E bay vendors are clouding the issue with their usual silly money prices.

• RMweb Premium

They could absorb it in the 50-60% increases over the last three years. Why should they? Well there's no reason they need to but if they want to maintain a reasonable market presence they might. Lots of other companies are in this position and realise they can't pass on all costs to the consumer. companies are reviewing their positions,some even considering bringing production back on shore. RMs still need to be imported, although we are all told these are not significant parts of cost of a model ( at least we've never seen the benefit of decreased plastics prices).

While I accept that Brexit has caused a drop in the value of the pound against other currencies. Some have protected their position by buying ahead, other have agreed prices in contracts which cannot be changed in the short term. It's called smart business. Yes you risk losing as well as winning but it's usually smart to protect at least part of your exposure. In any case currency fluctuations are exactly that , fluctuations. Typically they equalise over time. Ever seen a price reduction because the pound was high.......no , yet now the pound is dropped, oh we need price increases. Take the rough with the smooth. And buy or don't buy. There would seem to be a fair number agreeing it's not value for money.

Andy Y will probably frown on this, but if drops of 7.5% against the Chinese Yen Renminbi, 12.75% against the US Dollar, and 10.69% against the Euro in the less than two months since polling day aren't "plummeting" how would they be described?

If you are standing on the edge of a 100 foot high vertical drop and you have a slight fall between 7.5 and 12.75 feet and land on a ledge you might twist an ankle. If you plummet off the same ledge then you are likely to drop all the way to the bottom, since you do not have the aerobatic capability of, say, a raptor, and you will be dead.

That is analogously the difference between a slight fall and plummeting. The rest of your post was flubber.

• RMweb Gold

If you are standing on the edge of a 100 foot high vertical drop and you have a slight fall between 7.5 and 12.75 feet and land on a ledge you might twist an ankle. If you plummet off the same ledge then you are likely to drop all the way to the bottom, since you do not have the aerobatic capability of, say, a raptor, and you will be dead.

That is analogously the difference between a slight fall and plummeting. The rest of your post was flubber.

What a n unhelpful analogy - the important point in currency terms is how far it is "normal" for a currency to fluctuate. In this case it has plummeted, but if you want to bury your head in the sand that is your call...

While everyone is having a whinge about a re-introduced product, I note the following sad news on the Bachmann website:

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our friend and colleague, former Chief Designer Merl Evans. He will be fondly remembered with warm and often funny memories by all those who worked with him. Our thoughts are now with his wife Maureen and all of his family and friends at this very sad time.

I'd rather remember Merl's contributions positively today.

While everyone is having a whinge about a re-introduced product, I note the following sad news on the Bachmann website:

I'd rather remember Merl's contributions positively today.

I believe he was responsible for the first Mainline models. I thought at the time that they were far ahead of what Hornby and Airfix were offering. He was a very talented man and I am glad that he was given a lifetime achievement award. Sad to hear of his passing.

Archived