Bachmann 2016 Announcements

Andy Y

No new announcements , there were thomson coaches in display cabinet, and representation  of the coal tank, undecorated model of a birdcage brake, p[us NSE 101 in sound due in November  priced at £277.50 plus other NSE Coaches all above in 00, some N gauge but I did not note any of those

• RMweb Gold

A quick scan through the Bachmann products list shows that they have been updated today. I notice that the TPO POTs and the Ransomes & Rapier Breakdown Cranes now have an X against them. Is that new and does it indicate something different from their normal practice of indicating that they are on order? I always thought that the X indicated that a product that had been produced was now sold out.

Could be a very simple answer of course, a new member of staff up-dating the list?

Godfrey

Now changed as per 1041 below

From the recent Bachmann website updates, new products scheduled for this year in 'oo' gauge still seem to be slipping back. The Thompson coaches are now showing Jan/Feb 2017, the Stanier Mogul is Dec 16/Jan 17 and the Wickham Trolley has gone back again to Nov/Dec 2016. With these slippages there is a strong possibility that all of these models will drop out of this years production, leaving only the commissioned Model Rail USA tank and the 12/20 ton tankers as the only new models in 'oo' to go on sale in the year. Although Bachmann have advised that more resources from Kader are being put into the development backlog, there still seems to be a new model production issue, getting from ep to production. Bachmann could end up with a dearth of new models for the annual customer voting reviews this year.

From the recent Bachmann website updates, new products scheduled for this year in 'oo' gauge still seem to be slipping back. The Thompson coaches are now showing Jan/Feb 2017, the Stanier Mogul is Dec 16/Jan 17 and the Wickham Trolley has gone back again to Nov/Dec 2016. With these slippages there is a strong possibility that all of these models will drop out of this years production, leaving only the commissioned Model Rail USA tank and the 12/20 ton tankers as the only new models in 'oo' to go on sale in the year. Although Bachmann have advised that more resources from Kader are being put into the development backlog, there still seems to be a new model production issue, getting from ep to production. Bachmann could end up with a dearth of new models for the annual customer voting reviews this year.

Could these slippages not necessarily be due to production issues but rather shipping issues given the collapse of Hanjin.

• RMweb Premium

I think what should happen is they should concentrate on getting out the stuff they themselves have announced and put the commissions on hold for now. 

The advantage of commission work is that Bachmann (or other manufacturers) aren't taking the full financial risk. The money comes in mostly "up front".

Same reason why the DJ Models stuff is taking longer than Dave would like as his time has been directed more to the commission work - that pays his bills.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Slippages are annoying but there is a steady stream of new releases to tempt us and they aren't breaking any contracts. I know some consider this a defeatist attitude but if you just accept models arrive when they arrive and enjoy other releases in the mean time it saves a lot of heart ache. And yes, I'll admit that I do not always hold myself to that and do get a bit cross at times but it doesn't help anything.

On Hanjon, that will have nothing to do with any of these slippages and would only affect models actually in transit, i.e. manufactured, packed and in process of delivery to Bachmann Europe.

I wonder if there are any penalty clauses for late delivery to market

Unlikely I would have thought.  Delivery can only be deemed "late" if a firm delivery date was promised upfront.  Remember, it won't only be the manufacturer who has potential to create unforeseen delays, the commissioning party themselves may create their own setbacks - for example, time taken approving samples, liveries, requesting amendments etc - all these factors add to any schedule.  If no date was promised - and with manufacturing times as unpredictable as they are then surely Bachmann, or anyone else for that matter, would be foolish to promise a firm delivery date - then in theory no one can be held accountable for being "late".  Besides, all delivery dates quoted for commissions always appear to be "approximate" anyway, so it seems evident that both sides clearly 'know the ropes', so to speak.

• RMweb Premium

Not a chance.  It would be Bachmann Europe claiming from its parent company, Kader.

In the more general case which might be Hornby or Dapol versus their supplier, apart from the good point made above, I doubt any producer would accept such a clause and even if he did there would be enough get out of jail free clauses as to make it pointless.

• RMweb Gold

In in this unique case,a certain way of shooting yourself through the foot,as Andy Hayter has explained.Historically,Bachmann have form in keeping us waiting but I have to admit that it is a novel twist on anticipation of promised models to muse upon the possibility of legal redress.Maybe a sense of proportion would be a useful alternative.

I think we should all maintain a sense of perspective, model delays are nothing new and we may be annoyed or frustrated, but when we think logically we realise that the model will surely be released, and I'm quite relaxed about the delays, however it's not our livelihood that's at stake. I posted my original comment after speaking to my two local model shop retailers, who are faced with the possibility of a year with virtually no Bachmann UK new models to sell. New models have the effect of a surge in sales, as the greatest volume that a model sells, is normally at its first release, and in the first month or so. Bachmann is one of the top brands in the UK, so a sustained period of no or low new releases is going to impact. Retailers suffered a few years ago when Hornby had their production problems with production from Sanda Kan and this is likely to be a 'mini me' of that 

be good if some progress can be exhibited at Warley on the new Aircon Mk2f's and the Class 90 or even the DBSO. and for farish the mk2f's and DBSO.

Warley 2016, 2017 or 2020?

Have the thread on these as one that I follow on RMWEB, each time I log on I hope to see some update.

Put of buying the Hornby air cons in the hope these were imminent.

If I flushglaze and super detail all my Lima and Airfix aircons I am sure Bachmann ones will appear!

I wonder how long it took to design, build and get the real ones operational :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

I've received 3 j94s, 3 USA tanks, a class 40, a new 60103 and an NRM 71 in little over 6 weeks....

Anything more I'd be broke.

So

1. I'm happy enough that I've got more than an adequate supply,

and

2. With so much stuff on back order, I've no shortage of pipeline to come too...

If it takes 2 more years.. So what... There's dozens of other items being made right now that will come before it...indeed there's probably too much stuff in that pipeline !

My opinion, manufacturers are doing the right thing.. Take time.. Measure twice cut once.

• RMweb Premium

I think you've hit the nail on the head adb.

As there has been a significant number of releases at the same time (for me 66s, J94s and USA tanks), I have had to cancel some orders on financial grounds. It also prompted me to think about what I have been considering buying more seriously and the list has had to shrink or get deferred significantly.

For me there is too much nice stuff in the pipeline and if there are enough people like me, that will result in more stock sitting on the shelves in future which has to be a bad thing for the manufacturers.

Archived