Kernow SPA Wagon (ex FTG Models) see page 13 - was new unannounced model

woodenhead

Same problem as Bach's OBA/OCA/VAA/VBA/VDA... the pivot action isn't needed even on 2nd radius curves.  All of mine have been glued and screws tightened to prevent pivot. They run more freely & couplings work better (I also use Kadees and as you say the pocket needs padding out which isn't an exclusive problem to this model either).

M

Ditto here with the Bachmann wagons, and also Hornby's ancient ferry vans. I use Blu-Tack to stop them pivoting while still allowing a small amount of resilience.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Received my Dutch wagons today and got them running round the layout. They ran smoothly including being pushed and pulled through my most complicated trackwork:

post-586-0-34919700-1478541901.jpg

Then hung a brake van on the back and off we went. No problems:

post-586-0-39746100-1478541954.jpg

Will get some more Dutch rolling stock out later and see how we get on.

Keith

• Like 8

When SPA wagons were in infrastructure service what were they used for?

Regards

General materials carriers, mainly for the Civil Engineers, so anything from bits of rail and pointwork, to sleepers, oil drums etc. I've looked for some photos and found:-

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/S-Tops-codes/SPA-steel-carriers/i-P6ZwrKR/A carrying new wooden sleepers to a relaying job. Note that, because the SPA is wider than the OCA and OBA, sleepers can be loaded cross-ways, rather than lengthways

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/S-Tops-codes/SPA-steel-carriers/i-bfGDVZr/A carrying concrete slabs of some sort.

There's a regular 'infrastructure' traffic that's been carried frequently by them in recent years; scrap rail, in 'bite-sized' pieces, from Network Rail's Whitemoor facility to Aldwarke/Stocksbridge steelworks in South Yorkshire

Edited by Fat Controller

Yesterday I received 3 Dutch livery versions, in the quickest standard posting mail delivery ever. Ordered from Kernow on Thursday at 12.35, received despatch advice at 12.44 and received at 09.35 the following morning (Friday)by Royal Mail standard post parcel delivery. Thank you Kernow  (and Royal Mail played their part)

• Like 1

Always the occasional 'doubting thomas' about it would seem.

So just to put you mind at rest, and as I happened across that very scanning yesterday, here is a picture of the machine in action albeit very carefully trimmed to avoid giving almost any clues about either the location or the object being scanned in order to avoid me being drowned in a sea of froth should the latter be identified.

No doubt we shall see progress reports on the items you mention when there is something to report ...   ...

attachicon.gifDSCF9454.jpg

Would this be the Railmotor then?

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Caught a glimpse of a Balfour Beatty SPA 461071 at the Balfour depot behind Colchester Station from the train yesterday. Went back and after some clambering around got these pictures (see gallery for the rest) as I have only found 1 other photo of a BB SPA on the web.

Not great as I had to climb over a large concrete ditch and up a bank to get to the fence(!) but some detail including electrical box (?) on the end. Bushes prevent decent side photo.

gallery_24698_4204_734716.jpg

gallery_24698_4204_1276511.jpg

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Like 2

It was marshalled between two GP Tramm machines when at Paul found it at Heally Mills! Balour's had several SPA's that were used on the Channal Tunnel construction and I believe this is one of them!

Mark Saunders

At least two hung around at the former Ashford works for more than a decade.

• 2 months later...

Kernow Model Rail Centre Press Release - OO Gauge SPA Wagon EWS

We are pleased to announce four additional versions of our SPA Wagon in OO Gauge.

Each of the four wagons has unique decoration differences to match the prototype, such has OHLE flashes and differing EW logo placement: -

SB005E%20Final%20web-1498656239.jpg

SB005E DJ Models SPA Open Wagon number 460023 in EWS livery

SB005F%20Final%20web-1498656274.jpg

SB005F DJ Models SPA Open Wagon number 460050 in EWS livery 

SB005G%20web-1498656319.jpg

SB005G DJ Models SPA Open Wagon number 460242 in EWS livery

SB005H%20Final%20web-1498656351.jpg

SB005H DJ Models SPA Open Wagon number 460880 in EWS livery

Further details are available on our website

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/157/SPA-Wagons

The first 600 production SPAs were built at Shildon works in 1979-1980 to lot number 3839 and numbered 460002-460601. A second batch to the same design code was built ...

Priced at £29.99 each plus postage, the models are in stock and available for immediate delivery

• Like 1

The one Mark and me saw at Healey Mills wasn't one of these, it was 461071  http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brspa/e3b8fe808

Paul