Kernow SPA Wagon (ex FTG Models) see page 13 - was new unannounced model

woodenhead

I note the photos are all of the same wagon in each livery - are the 2 liveries identical except for the TOPS number or are there other variations?

The only difference between on in Departmental service and a 'normal' one might be the absence of floor battens on the former. As the battens are a separate user-fitted moulding, you can leave them out. The batten moulding in the FTG model has the longitudinal and transverse battens, as fitted to those wagons used for rod-coil traffic. The default fitting was of transverse battens only, though many of those seemed to disappear quite quickly.

Looks like I was right when I posted back on page 2

Looking very closely at the picture zoomed in on an iPad screen the box (to me) says SPA Air Break Plate Wagon.

Very nice wagons, wasn't expecting the dutch ones. Gives those who missed out the first time the chance to get some. Hopefully they'll do some more Cardiff Rod Mill ones with tarps.  

Edited by Rhys Underwood
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

While the details of the deal between Hugh and Kernow is none of our business, what it looks like to me is a big vote of confidence in Hugh for producing a cracking model that one of the big model shops wants to continue producing and selling. Looking forward to the tank waggon.

Looks like I was right when I posted back on page 2

Very nice wagons, wasn't expecting the dutch ones. Gives those who missed out the first time the chance to get some. Hopefully they'll do some more Cardiff Rod Mill ones with tarps.  

I’m waiting for those too.

just a little shocked at the price , virtually double the price of when they were first released, glad i got my 5 first time around, or will Cambrian kits benefit from this eye watering price ?

That's an understatement as far as my reaction is concerned !

But then, I don't need any

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

The only difference between on in Departmental service and a 'normal' one might be the absence of floor battens on the former. As the battens are a separate user-fitted moulding, you can leave them out. The batten moulding in the FTG model has the longitudinal and transverse battens, as fitted to those wagons used for rod-coil traffic. The default fitting was of transverse battens only, though many of those seemed to disappear quite quickly.

Thanks.

I was thinking more of the liveries and whether they were identical, although it is not clear if the battens are included in the Kernow versions.

These are excellent models and I'm glad I supported Hugh and FTG by buying his versions as I've saved a lot of money across the Rf and NR versions :)

Thanks.

I was thinking more of the liveries and whether they were identical, although it is not clear if the battens are included in the Kernow versions.

These are excellent models and I'm glad I supported Hugh and FTG by buying his versions as I've saved a lot of money across the Rf and NR versions :)

I'll be able to tell you later as my parcel of 4 have just arrived having only placed the order yesterday.  Amazingly quick delivery considering it was free postage...  Sorry to keep you in suspense but ballet lessons beckon (for daughters).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

just a little shocked at the price , virtually double the price of when they were first released, glad i got my 5 first time around, or will Cambrian kits benefit from this eye watering price ?

UK based kit producers generally may benefit from the current economic influences that are pushing up RTR prices. Hopefully there will be a bit of a resurgence for them.

Fair play to Kernow, if the market will take the higher price and it facilitates Hugh on his next project then we all win.

Some prototype photos here

460089  http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brspa/e2167bdfb

460123  http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brspa/e25d86020

460275  http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brspa/e3a5ef5c7

460890  http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brspa/e3c072677

460019 http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/spaconvertdept/e3cdfe3b8

460036 http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/spaconvertdept/e37b6c029

460046  http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/spaconvertdept/e3e421bc3

460419  http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/spaconvertdept/e3eae154f   

This was the first of this repaint that I photographed - it was used in Motive Power Monthly as an illustration of the new
livery, it gives a good indication of when it was introduced.

The real floor http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brspa/e3b1aaf39  http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brspa/e3e639848

Paul - no association with Kernow or FTG.

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

I'll be able to tell you later as my parcel of 4 have just arrived having only placed the order yesterday.  Amazingly quick delivery considering it was free postage...  Sorry to keep you in suspense but ballet lessons beckon (for daughters).

So have had a quick look now.  The four dutch ones are subtly different from each other, I assume as per prototype but not examined as yet.  Each has a different number and differing positions of warning flashes and at least one has the labels in a different place.  I also noticed that different parts of the undercarriage are picked out in paint on a couple of them.  So to answer the original question, at least as far as dutch ones are concerned, yes they are different.  I did also notice the yellow/grey paint interface looks a little fuzzy too although I can sympathise having sprayed my own in the past that not easy masking.  Can't speak for red liveried ones though but would guess that same approach taken with variations as per prototype.

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived this morning nd was a little disappointed..........the wheels rotate.....

I'm all for picking faults but complaining the wheels go round is a bit harsh, surely? :jester:

Edited by ruggedpeak

Hmm, i see your point, but they also too readily steer? 

Same problem as Bach's OBA/OCA/VAA/VBA/VDA... the pivot action isn't needed even on 2nd radius curves.  All of mine have been glued and screws tightened to prevent pivot. They run more freely & couplings work better (I also use Kadees and as you say the pocket needs padding out which isn't an exclusive problem to this model either).

M

• RMweb Gold

Were these wagons not affected by overly short couplings? is this still a problem? What radius will they go round happily?

I'd be interested in some if I can be sure they'll go round 2nd radius curves OK.

The first batch of FTG wagons had this problem but this was resolved on the second Network Rail batch. One assumes this later tooling was used for the Kernow batches!

Mine arrived this morning nd was a little disappointed. I use Kaydees and found the pocket is very big so needs padding. Also the wheels rotate and the pockets are attached and rock so may have to glue them.

I've just had a play with mine... the couplings supplied do seem a reasonable length improving on the original release (I assume same as NR ones).  As such if you are a tension lock user then things should be fine... 

But if wanting to convert to Kadees then the coupling pocket is way out - it is not unusual to have a pocket with a bit of play when installing Kadees (all manufacturers seem to suffer in this area) but with the SPA I couldn't even get a Kadee to stay in the pocket it was so loose (the worst I've seen).  OK so I'll change out the pocket... well that didn't go well - seems so well wedged in that cannot remove - it is also apparent that the way the coupling issue was resolved was by making the coupling pocket longer so replacing with a standard Bach / Hornby pocket would result in a pocket mounted too far back... conclusion - best way forward is to completely cut off the coupling mount from the model and replace with a Kadee direct to the chassis.  To be fair I've had to do this on a number of large number of Bach items (and i suspect most Kadee users are familiar with the drill) but as the prices go up across the board somehow this grates more...  I didn't mind as much with the first releases but at £30 per wagon... however I do want to support Hugh, Kernow and the likes in bringing new models to market.

As per previous post, once out of the boxes each wagon is quite subtly individual which is a nice touch and overall I think this is a nice wagon.  The fuzzy edges to the yellow paint mentioned previously somehow seems less of an issue once out of the box.

M

I've just had a play with mine... the couplings supplied do seem a reasonable length improving on the original release (I assume same as NR ones).  As such if you are a tension lock user then things should be fine... 

But if wanting to convert to Kadees then the coupling pocket is way out - it is not unusual to have a pocket with a bit of play when installing Kadees (all manufacturers seem to suffer in this area) but with the SPA I couldn't even get a Kadee to stay in the pocket it was so loose (the worst I've seen).  OK so I'll change out the pocket... well that didn't go well - seems so well wedged in that cannot remove - it is also apparent that the way the coupling issue was resolved was by making the coupling pocket longer so replacing with a standard Bach / Hornby pocket would result in a pocket mounted too far back... conclusion - best way forward is to completely cut off the coupling mount from the model and replace with a Kadee direct to the chassis.  To be fair I've had to do this on a number of large number of Bach items (and i suspect most Kadee users are familiar with the drill) but as the prices go up across the board somehow this grates more...  I didn't mind as much with the first releases but at £30 per wagon... however I do want to support Hugh, Kernow and the likes in bringing new models to market.

As per previous post, once out of the boxes each wagon is quite subtly individual which is a nice touch and overall I think this is a nice wagon.  The fuzzy edges to the yellow paint mentioned previously somehow seems less of an issue once out of the box.

M

People came up with various fixes to the coupling issues on the original FTG thread, including the Kadee problems, if you refer back to that. I fitted screw links to mine so cannot advise.