Bachmann announce Midland 1P, Class 20/3, BEP buffet car, VEA, Prestwin and Carflat

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Most looking forward to the Vulcan Train pack, as seems to be a great selection of items.

Although Hatton's price seems to be rather optimistic though really.

Though some of the prices not marked as estimates are lower than I would have expected.

£34 for a Mk1, for example. I don't know what the RRP is though.

• RMweb Gold

Though some of the prices not marked as estimates are lower than I would have expected.

£34 for a Mk1, for example. I don't know what the RRP is though.

Very true - 44006 at £115 give or take a few pennies. Much less than I had been expecting.

4BEP is £250. Given the 2HAP is £190, I was expecting that to be higher.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't be the first on here to miss a key element of the announcement so I will word this carefully. I saw the status update for previously announced N gauge, but I didn't see one for the numerous outstanding 00 models? Thinking Thompsons and Birdcages from my outstanding orders.

• RMweb Premium

I think if they were to tool a centre car for anything, it would be for the 2H or to make a 4EPB. The 150/0s are too limited.

Roy

If they did a centre car for a 150, wouldn't the end cars be wrong ?

IIRC, on the 150/0's the drivers doors are 150/2 style on a 150/1 body ?

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't be the first on here to miss a key element of the announcement so I will word this carefully. I saw the status update for previously announced N gauge, but I didn't see one for the numerous outstanding 00 models? Thinking Thompsons and Birdcages from my outstanding orders.

Just above the n gauge status.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Its in Andy Y's original post:

Thompsons (crimson & cream) expected February

Birdcages - passed Engineering Prototype stage, now at livery design stage,

• RMweb Gold

Cheers,

Phil.

They certainly are, but I don't know how the Bachmann tools are configured. The fuel tanks were smaller until fairly recently as well IIRC.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Last year I was watching the announcement as I wanted a 93XX which had only been released once, in split chassis form with GWR livery. The fact that no such announcement was forthcoming meant that if I wanted a 93XX before 2018 I would have to pick up a second hand one and do the brutal (but not at all impossible) conversion to DCC and acquire a suitably liveried tender from a 43XX. The job is done and I am happy with it (and for less than fifty quid!).

I have both a Manor and a 43XX from Mainline which I bought new (I also had a 57XX and a 2251 but the 57XX now has a Bachmann chassis and I sold the 2251 for more than I paid for it and replaced it with a Bachmann example).

I converted the Manor to DCC (quite easy really) but the running is still as poor as it has always been.

The 43XX is (and has been for a few years!) undergoing a Comet chassis upgrade.

New ones from Bachmann would be nice.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

The Midland 0-4-4 1P tank, whilst a delightful little locomotive, seems a very curious choice for a main manufacturer to produce as I do not think it has featured at all in previous years "wish list" polls. This would seem to be a locomotive which is very much of minority interest and I suppose that Bachmann hope that it will sell on the basis that it can be provided in a number of attractive liveries.

However what is the point of forums like this having "wish list" polls if manufacturers simply ignore them. I appreciate that Bachmann have probably done their own market research and perhaps this research tells them that this is the right locomotive to produce but I must admit I do have my doubts that it will sell that well, but perhaps I'll be proved wrong.

Sandra

Looking at 'LMS Engine Sheds Vol 2 The Midland Railway', the 1920 allocation list shows how ubiquitous these locos were across the Midland network.

No. 1273 itself was allocated to Buxton in 1920, which suits my north Midland interests well! 

No. 1303 was based at Gloucester by 1945.

I'm delighted with the 2017 Bachmann announcement, the 1P complementing the imminent Webb Coal tank, and with the current Crab, and soon to arrive Mogul, us LMS folks have got a lot to thank Bachmann for. Just need to save a few more pennies (er, pounds)... and gives me a bit more time to finish the layout. (I think I said that when the Webb tank was first announced, but might be ready in time for the arrival of the 1P...).

And Hornby too has a good LMS offering in their 2017 announcement, with the 8F and Rebuilt Scot, in later liveries too, will go well with the new Duchess, for those with wartime/post-war LMS interests.

All in all, good news I reckon :-)

all the best,

Keith

• Like 2

I could deal with disappointment of there being nothing new to excite me if I thought that they had made decent progress on previously announced items that I was after, but I can't believe that the Farish Mk2F coaches are still at the Drawing Office stage four!! years after they were announced. 

• RMweb Premium

In 4mm:-

Like the Speedlink 47 and Coal 37.

• VEAs are great, just the pricing could be interesting

• Re-runs of OBAs, BAAs in RF liveries are a good move, all popular in the 2nd hand market.

In 2mm:-

• Refurb Class 31 was a no brainer. Nice choice of liveries too.

• Retool TEA - About time! But pricing could be eye watering, especially considering likely to buy in greater quantities to model nearer to scale length trains. Also no Shell mono block livery announced (yet?).

• Surprised the VEA hasn't been scaled down to 2mm. A missed opportunity?

• Still no retooled VBA or VDA vans! Would of been the ideal opportunity to release these if celebrating BR Railfreight!

I was delighted to see the Prestwin, until I went onto the Hattons site to see they are estimating £39 per wagon !

Looks like Dapol (ex Airfix) kits it will be the way forward  for me and many others then.

• RMweb Premium

A few of the liveries for the modern day stuff - Merl Evans / Evening Star etc - are of interest but not enough to have me buy new. These are the sort of things I would either relivery myself or pick up 2nd hand.

With all the rumours that 2 manufacturers were doing an 86 & as we now know a Hornby 87, I was really hoping for a Class 86 announcement. Really disappointed with that and also that the Class 90 has not moved on at all.

• RMweb Premium

Not if it's one of the home made 3-car 150's with a cab car in the middle...

42-266 Low Relief 'The Cod Father' Fish & Chip Shop :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Only slightly off topic, but not only is there one of those about 10 minutes up the road from me, there's also 'For Cod's Sake ' about 10 minutes in the other direction :laugh:

As for the trains, would have been nice to see the GWR liveried 57 in n gauge, just have to get the OO one when it arrives, but Merl Evans and Evening star duly added to the shopping list...

So much for my resolution to cut down on new train purchases this year :laugh:

• RMweb Gold

150's are quite popular.. Fair few liveries for a 3 car version... I could see a model shop (such as kernow) commissioning a centre car...

The discussion was about the 150/0s of which there are only 2 - ok they have had a few liveries. All the other three car 150s were never 150/0s, even if they were numbered as such.

You can make a three car hybrid 150/1 /2 easily using spare cars which pop up on ebay and the like quite often.

Roy