Bachmann announce Midland 1P, Class 20/3, BEP buffet car, VEA, Prestwin and Carflat

Andy Y

More than a little disappointed that the GC-liveried Director announced LAST JANUARY is still no closer to delivery; nor is there an update on when it might be coming. 

There never is an update on awaited reliveries - you need to look at the website for an expected release date. Actually was it not announced last March for production in the next 18 months?

Edited by Butler Henderson

"RF 30 YEARS"????

Sorry, but that was in 1981. Now that Bachmann has taken over EFE they should know that...

March, Downham Market and Weybourne Scenencraft items. All Eastern/East Anglia so relatively near to Barwell. Has Bachmann imposed a travel budget on its designers this year :-)

More seriously, thanks for the list Andy. Some good things and not too overambitious, but which Carflat to go for...

Then DEMU has got it wrong as well as the there will be large display from Simon Bendall celebrating 30 Years of Railfreight Sectorisation. Edited by Nobby (John)

• RMweb Gold

I am happy -  there is a Midland 0-4-4T announced.

I am sad - there was no cute little 16XX pannier tank announced.

I am happy - I'm still enjoying the fact that I have a Hornby Peckett and a USA tank.

I am sad - there was no cute little 16XX pannier tank announced.

I am happy - there might be a cute little 16XX pannier tank announced next year.

I am happy - for all the others who are pleased by the other announcements as well.

I am happy - I still haven't picked up my Dapol 'O' gauge 08 yet - that is yet to come.

On balance then, this announcement has generated net happiness at Kernow Towers.

Were you hoping for a 16XX by some chance?

Oh here we go again, is that “GREAT WESTERN”, (shirtbutton) or “GWR” on the 56XX and Earl?

I wouldn’t mind another example of both locomotives for a 1930’s period layout, but if Bachmann have gone for their default GWR and I have to backdate it myself I may as well pick up a second-hand example.

The 64XX has so far been ignored by me for the same reason, I want one but would prefer not to have to do a DIY job on it if I can avoid it.

By the way, what has happened to my Collett Goods???

Still disappointed that Bachmann have never produced a Great Western coach in pre-war livery, the one release they did with the shirtbutton had wartime grey roofs. I had sort of hoped that they at least would have turned out the two mouldings that they own with a white roof by now. That is going to be another second-hand Mainline or Replica purchase or a few more kits built.

Probably not much of my pocket money circulating through Leicestershire until at least 2019 then.

There never is an update on awaited reliveries - you need to look at the website for an expected release date. Actually was it not announced last March for production in the next 18 months?

Ah; yes... the 2016 range was announced in March not January.  It might well become a deferred present for Christmas 2017 then!

Now that looks good, there's some stuff I'd like.

It also appears they have taken note of all the contemporary modellers who cried out for the WCRC, 66779, europheonix and Merl.

Like the idea of the Vulcan pack as well.

Good stuff, well done

Well done Bachmann!

I'd say that's one of the best ranges yet, plenty of reliveries for steam and modern, I don't model the modern era but it's great to see them doing some West coast diesels as many have asked for these over the years. The final 66 is also a good choice along with Mels 37 and the Vulcan 37 will definitely be a pack I'll be buying! Love the Vulcan.

The midland 1p will be a nice addition too, maybe a push-pull set next year to go with this and the newly tooled ivatt tank :)

Safe to say this year I will be skint! :/

Edited by Northmoor MPD
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Railfreight Sector? Needs a bit of clarification. Bob Reid Mk1 announced the creation of Sectors on a snowy day in, I think, December 1981, although they didn't go live until the after the turn of the year. I'm slightly vague about the date - but remember the day well because I had a formal career-planning interview with the General Manager, Southern Region, that day, and because of the snow I was late! To his credit, John Palette was more concerned about the large number of passengers (as we then still called them) who had also been delayed.

When Sectors got going they were very small organisations indeed, initially acting as grit in the oyster of the Regions, already perceived as having become smug. Indeed, in many respects the Regions were little more than successors to the Big 4, even after more than 30 years of state ownership. 

By the mid-80s, the Sectors began to get into their stride, vide the launch of NSE in 1986, and I think Bachmann is referring to the comparable event for Railfreight in 1987. 

• Like 2

Some very nice re-liveries, definitely be after a few of those.

Very glad I was warned off commissioning the 20/3s in OO, sensible choice to go for the later batch (fewer detail variants), however they are still quite a minefield. Shame they aren't in pairs though.

Albeit potentially with some minor livery differences and equaliser beams, they'll hopefully look like...

post-13109-0-94775400-1483874746_thumb.jpg

and

post-13109-0-89989900-1483874796_thumb.jpg

Wild Boar Fell

Edit to correct to say equaliser beam.

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As I model the Hangleford, Motchester & Salbury railway in the period 1875- 1878 I have to say: :scratchhead:

There's nothing there for me! :jester:

Seriously, where's the re-tooled 43XX & Manor?

Both would IMHO be popular.

I thought Bachmann were to re-tool all the old split chassis models but the progress seems to have slowed somewhat.

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The lack of progress on the 90, the 24 and the 2f's is disappointing.

All those worrying that their wallets will be battered or their wives will be furious -don't worry - you've got five long years to think of excuses before you part with your Dosh!

If SLW do a 24/1 I doubt the Bachmann version will ever see the light of day.

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Bachmann. Midland 1P. Totally bowled over by this. The obvious gap in their Midland small loco range and one with so much scope for variations in detail and livery. This will sell so very well........I am having all three for starters.........

As for the potential for S&DJR lined blue I will have to check if 1532 carried it ( I think they may have...) but I will buy a couple if they ever did release one.....

Very happy......not looked at the rest......yet...

Rob.

• Like 2

Nice to see the 20/3 at last and also that merl and evening star are in the main range. Bit disappointed about lack of progress with class 90 and mk2f coaches but I am sure Bachmann are too.

Hopefully there will be some comment from them about how they are clearing the backlog (or not) over the next couple of days.

Thanks

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

While it falls outside my fairly tight timeline of 1960-1962, the Midland 1P is a welcome announcement for S&DJR followers like me. I might get one or two as representatives of the past, maybe with 'just a tad' of modellers' licence to allow them to appear later, and maybe even have one fictionally preserved :)

• RMweb Premium

Slightly surprised at 66779 in the main range - I thought that would be a good limited edition for Locomotion Models/NRM.

Do I need more celebrity locos like 37099/37424/37884/66779?

Maybe not.

Do I want them - maybe....... probably.

Cheers,

Mick

This is definitely promising as well for those wanting a Midland 2F in future.  Midland locomotives are definitely selling well so fingers crossed that in a few years time we'll have one of them too.  Really looking forward to this and a few of the other announcements too.  Slightly disappointed that there wasn't another Johnson 3F or a Fowler 4F in British Railways livery this year but there is a Jinty to look forward to.

I think the 1P will prove to be a big hit, not worried about the quality of the model being a Bachmann but I do hope we're not waiting for too long.  Still, plenty of other models to keep me busy the next few years!

Edited by GWR8700
  • Like 1

As I model the Hangleford, Motchester & Salbury railway in the period 1875- 1878 I have to say: :scratchhead:

There's nothing there for me! :jester:

Seriously, where's the re-tooled 43XX & Manor?

Both would IMHO be popular.

I thought Bachmann were to re-tool all the old split chassis models but the progress seems to have slowed somewhat.

Keith

The solution to you problem is quite straightforward, all you need to do is pull together around a thousand fellow HM&SR enthusiasts and go for one of these kick-starter thingys.

Seriously, these announcements are of value even if they are of initial disappointment as they can then focus you on what you need to do to achieve what you want.

Last year I was watching the announcement as I wanted a 93XX which had only been released once, in split chassis form with GWR livery. The fact that no such announcement was forthcoming meant that if I wanted a 93XX before 2018 I would have to pick up a second hand one and do the brutal (but not at all impossible) conversion to DCC and acquire a suitably liveried tender from a 43XX. The job is done and I am happy with it (and for less than fifty quid!).

• Like 1

It would be easy for me to say "Nothing in it for me", or "My wallet is safe this year", but I'm not. :)

There are some interesting items and there will be many modellers who will be excited by what's been announced.  Personally though I'm surprised that Bachmann haven't announced a rival to Hornby's Peckett, such as an Andrew Barclay 0-4-0 or similar steam industrial.  

• RMweb Gold

GWR tailgate chassis upgrade?

Am I missing something?

VEA... I'm sticking with my Parkside and if any goes on about the Bachman model being better than the kit or 'but I can't stick things together' be prepared to have your modelling credentials questioned ;)

The 1P will be a challenge with such a small boiler ... but it will be worth it :)

My S&DJR 1P was built on a re-wheeled Triang M7 chassis, c1969, so I would imagine that with the range of modern motors available, it shouldn't be too much of a challenge. I think my boiler may be a bit high, but even so I don't think the manufacturers of a Wickham trolley are going to have too much bother.

post-14351-0-06738100-1483876644_thumb.jpg

This photo was taken fairly recently in a temporary setting, for a S&DJR photo book for a friend's retirement present.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 14