Peterborough North

great northern

They work very well, don't they, as they have a good deal of bulk to them. I remembered that I had three up in the loft, which, added to the rake Phil has kindly loaned me, cover quite a lot of ground. I've no photographic evidence of them at PN, but surely in such an agricultural area they would have been needed in late summer/early autumn?

I would have thought they would be present; wasn't there a large mill near to the other Peterborough station? Apart from that, I would have imagined there was traffic from the immediate area to Burton (though might this have gone via the former LMS lines via Wansford?)

One traffic I would have thought had passed PN would be wagons, or perhaps even entire trains, of sugar-stone from Derbyshire to the various beet refineries. This was mainly carried in 16t minerals and former iron-ore hoppers, sometime sheeted, sometimes not.

• RMweb Premium

Grain traffic was certainly handled at Sandy in wagons of that type; I don't know whether it made its way north or south from there but if north, then it would have passed through Peterborough station.

I like that first shot in the post above Gilbert! My ipad tends to jump to the top of the prior post and 'cropped' that photo of the van roughly at platform level. I'm not sure that's what you'd do from a photographic perspective but at the first glance as it came onto the screen, it massively heightened the realism of the shot to me.

David

Is this what you meant, David?

4 under roof.JPG

I'm in full agreement. I'd already cropped this quite a bit, but obviously not enough.

There are some carriages in the sidings by the DE area.

6 carriage siding.JPG

and the delapidated coaling stage gets a close up feature.

7 coaling stage.JPG

Hi Gilbert

Yes, many thanks - much appreciated. Captures the under roof gloom and makes less of a feature of the track.

David

G'Day Folks

Oh, those nine hours, what fun we used to have, goods trains to KX goods, freightliners, first and second mail, parcels trains................sleepers. :boast:

manna

Are yes. I remember those 9 hours, lying in bed listening to all the sounds of shunting, whistles, and general railway noise while I was lying in bed. how did I ever get to sleep!

Lloyd

Grain traffic was certainly handled at Sandy in wagons of that type; I don't know whether it made its way north or south from there but if north, then it would have passed through Peterborough station.

And further south we have to remember Welgar Shredded Wheat. I can just about recall seeing grain hopper wagons on the long sidings set back and parallel to the ECML at WGC. They would have been worked back and forth over the long S curve that connected the sidings to the north end on the up side. There was a small engine shed at the end of the private sidings but I can't remember ever seeing what lived in it.

Apologies for this digression - on with the music....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some of you may remember Sir Archibald Loco-holic, who featured on the thread many pages back. Well, that renowned railway advocate and benefactor has e-mailed me to say that he is heard that some of Rapido's Stirling singles may be available for general sale when preorders have been satisfied. He wants me to give his, if he gets one, running rights on PN.

I have, of course, told him what a silly idea that is. Can't justify it, what about the rolling stock,etc, etc. So that's the end of that then, isn't it?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Today I have been mostly answering the phone and waiting for Yodel. Neither is very exciting. The first morning image isn't very exciting either, as it just shows Velocity a bit closer to the camera.

attachicon.gif3 538 under 2.JPG

The second is one of those rear three quarter views.

attachicon.gif4 538 rear.JPG

Now I'm a bit undecided. I'd like to go and get on with the railway, but if I do that, being fairly, or unfairly depending on your point of view, mutton, I may not hear the Yodel person knocking at the door. It's a signed for parcel, so I don't want to miss them. It hasn't even got railway stuff in it.

I suspect thou needest an Intercom thingy fitted to the front door. Person arrives, presses button for attention and lo, you bellow down the voice pipe asking them to hang on a minute. Also handy if in the bog.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Today I have been mostly answering the phone and waiting for Yodel. Neither is very exciting. The first morning image isn't very exciting either, as it just shows Velocity a bit closer to the camera.

attachicon.gif3 538 under 2.JPG

The second is one of those rear three quarter views.

attachicon.gif4 538 rear.JPG

Now I'm a bit undecided. I'd like to go and get on with the railway, but if I do that, being fairly, or unfairly depending on your point of view, mutton, I may not hear the Yodel person knocking at the door. It's a signed for parcel, so I don't want to miss them. It hasn't even got railway stuff in it.

We fitted a wireless chime (or a choice of other sounds can be selected) setup, couldn't be easier. Bell push sticks on the door and the actual 'speakers' plug into any mains socket. We have two plus a battery one that can be taken outside. Couldn't be simpler.

• RMweb Premium

Some of you may remember Sir Archibald Loco-holic, who featured on the thread many pages back. Well, that renowned railway advocate and benefactor has e-mailed me to say that he is heard that some of Rapido's Stirling singles may be available for general sale when preorders have been satisfied. He wants me to give his, if he gets one, running rights on PN.

I have, of course, told him what a silly idea that is. Can't justify it, what about the rolling stock,etc, etc. So that's the end of that then, isn't it?

I think it might have worked a special from Finsbury Square to Peterborough in the late 1950s; oddly enough with a different tender to the one usually seen in pictures from that period.

• Like 3

I think it might have worked a special from Finsbury Square to Peterborough in the late 1950s; oddly enough with a different tender to the one usually seen in pictures from that period.

sadly it wasnt steamable in the 50s and was always (until a couple of years ago) preserved with the unauthentic sturrock tender.

• RMweb Premium

sadly it wasnt steamable in the 50s and was always (until a couple of years ago) preserved with the unauthentic sturrock tender.

Indeed it wasn't; I was being humorous (and hoping to give Gilbert a excuse if he needs one)!  Finsbury Square station doesn't exist either, except in my spare room!

• RMweb Premium

We fitted a wireless chime (or a choice of other sounds can be selected) setup, couldn't be easier. Bell push sticks on the door and the actual 'speakers' plug into any mains socket. We have two plus a battery one that can be taken outside. Couldn't be simpler.

I did have something like that Syd, but no matter how many times I changed the frequency other people's chimes and jingles kept setting mine off. I was quite relieved when it died,(of natural causes).

• RMweb Premium

Indeed it wasn't; I was being humorous (and hoping to give Gilbert a excuse if he needs one)!  Finsbury Square station doesn't exist either, except in my spare room!

T'was but a whim Steve. My mind is presently fixated on sleeping cars. Be afraid, be very afraid. :scared:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another view of Velocity, with Wolf of Badenoch in the background.

post-98-0-90286600-1529529344_thumb.jpg

The Wolf though will not be relieving Velocity. That duty falls to Champion Lodge, seen reversing down to couple up. Velocity's uncoupling and leaving for shed was not recorded.

post-98-0-07694900-1529529484_thumb.jpg

How I do love B17s. This was the second one I saw back in 1955.

• Like 19